Wells Fargo Reviews in San Francisco, CA

6,471 Reviews

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf
3,239 Ratings

Pros
  • The service is top rate to the customers and the work/life balance is very good (in 241 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 431 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 481 reviews)

• No work life balance, very stressful work environment derived from upper managerment (in 111 reviews)

More Highlights

522 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you can work at Hells Fargo you can work ANYWHERE

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time

Pros

The only thing that Wells Fargo does best is hire extraordinary people. You will meet some of the most amazing people working here that you will learn a lot from. If you are lucky to land a great manager and perform well, you can be promoted very quickly and many opportunities are available. Very fast paced working environment and cut throat sales. If you can survive here, you can survive anywhere.

Cons

Its all about SALES. Its a numbers game. They demand unrealistic sales quotas which leads people to conduct "unethical" sales practices. Are they bad people? NO. The sales pressure is so big that if you don't hit daily quotas you will be chastised by managers and upper management. If you don't perform, you're life will be hell and eventually be pushed out. If you give in to the dark side with unethical sales, you will feel sick to your stomach until you eventually get promoted or fired after being investigated. WF strives for perfect customer service but how is that possible when they keep stuffing unwanted products down customer's throats?

Stop obsessing over sales. The goals are ridiculous and unrealistic. Too many great people have been fired or left because of these idiotic stretch goals. Upper management gets to live comfortably while the small fries are expendable and work their behinds off to make management look good. No loyalty whatsoever.

Great Environment of caring individuals

Current Employee - Client Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

collaboration, bank hours, opportunities for promotion, great place to make friends, lots of training that betters WF employees

Cons

many compliance obstacles, can't wear jeans to work

Coworkers are great

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diversity of the Company is awesome. Everyone speaks different languages and has interesting characters. Very flexible. Great training program.

Cons

Sales pressure. The promotion is all about sales; it doesn't matter how hard you work, or how helpful you are. No numbers, no promotion. There are no sick days allowance, only personal time offs.

If promotion can also be based on the quality work that the banker puts in, that would be great.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Appraisal Specialist  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Appraisal Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good support for keeping up with changes in appraisal technology.

Cons

Low pay for the industry.

Disorganized

Former Employee - Compliance Manager III  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Compliance Manager III in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Solid place to begin a career. Learn all you can and then search else where.

Cons

Climbing the ladder is slow.

Cut down (not cut off) on the middle management bureaucracy that is adding little value.

personal banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE)  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

full benefits such as Paid Time Off, health benefits, 401K etc.
    work normal bank hours, Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm

Cons

sales pressure is extremely high, pay is not where is should be for as much work we put into the job. Focus only on sale goals.

treat employees good and they will their customers good. Pay better for retail banking.

Entire department outsourced to another state where operations would be cheaper than CA

Former Employee - OCS Fraud  in  Concord, CA
    Former Employee - OCS Fraud in Concord, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good Work Life Balance,
    Excellent Benefits but were starting to go downhill
    Vacation time earned was great after being there a few years
    Easy to earn seniority as there was a high turnover rate

Cons

Training the people that would later take my job
    Working with some entry level candidates with little professionalism
    Management obsolete and complacent

Steady as the stagecoach

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Made to really feel like a member of a team rather an employee. All levels truly care about the team mates and protecting the brand.

Cons

Working in headquarters position, expect to spend most of the day on conference calls and working with others spread across the US. Can be a challenge if virtual consensus building and decision making are not a strength.

Spend more time walking around and just talking with team members, not presenting to them.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Crimes  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Crimes in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back environment with opprotunity for growth

Cons

There are not any cons that I can think of, happy here!

AVOID AVOID AVOID

Former Employee - Personal Banker I  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time for more than a year

Pros

yeah, if you want a steady job 40 hrs/ week, 401k, benefits, Wells Fargo offers that here. But so does every other company in the bay area.

Cons

To move ahead in your job, you have to do some shady things to upwell the customer. Things I've seen: bankers telling customers that they're signing up for a 'rewards card' and not a credit card to meet sales, forcing the customer to open both checking and savings when they verbally said no, and sending multiple debit cards. Lately corporate has been cracking down on this, but bankers still find a way to be shady. Also, work environment is very much like high school politics, there's no way you're going to get promoted if they don't like you. When I worked here, management made it seem like I wouldn't find another company that could be as flexible as they were as to scheduling PTO/ or working around my schedule, and would emphasize that there were no jobs in the job market.

unrealistic sales goals are what drives bankers to do unethical things to customers. you keep emphasizing that we should do what's right for customers, but then threaten to fire us if we don't meet your unrealistic sales goals.

Worked for Wells Fargo? Contribute to the Community!