Wells Fargo

7,409 Reviews

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf
3,705 Ratings

Pros
  • The work-life balance is good and I was able to see a number of interesting deals (in 283 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• work- life balance very difficult with the stress management gives to produce (in 138 reviews)

More Highlights

576 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved the job, hated sales requirements

Former Employee - Teller in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Wells Fargo is really an amazing company to work for. As a Teller, I enjoyed engaging with the many beautiful personalities (with the minor exception of a few) who entered the store.

Cons

Tellers should not be required to push sales. I hated the daily ''grading'' on whether or not I said the script word for word.

Solid conservative bank

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, lots of room to move up if you work hard and lots of opportunities to learn. Also different paths to move in your career.

Cons

Politics, management is very hierarchical. Just learn how to navigate it.

Don't be cheap on retaining good employees.

Senior Vice President and Creative Director

Former Employee - Senior Vice President, Creative Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President, Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can confidently say that in the two roles I had Wells Fargo in corporate (not customer facing) departments they do play nice. They mean well, have good manners, and genuinely care about it's employees. They don't move too quickly so there is plenty of time to prepare for change. They try hard to communicate whats going on in the industry, the company and at a department level. I would work for Wells in again in a heart beat. Good, nice people with solid ethics.

Cons

They can be extremely slow. They lack innovative passion. I don't know of too many other company's that size that don't have an internal innovation lab. This would help attract younger employees, more creatives, and help retention

See cons above

Big Bank with many opportunities.

Former Employee - Foreign Exchange Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Foreign Exchange Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

There are many options in a large bank for just about anyone. The pay tends to be more than the rest of the market, since they can afford the good talent.

Cons

Banks have experienced a fleeting of good talent due to various social and economic issues, resulting in the greatest minds working for companies they actually believe in. Before working for a large bank, one must ask themselves whether the salary is worth the foregone potential of idealism and self worth.

A banks upper management will never empathize with their subordinates. Don't expect much recognition or visibility.

It's a job.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is okay and you get 28 vacation days a year once you reach 10-years.

Cons

You work for a huge bureaucracy that is difficult to navigate and almost impossible to change. Frustration is a daily challenge.

Fire yourselves. There's too many of you and not enough of us on the front line. Managers don't grow the topline, salespeople do.

Wells Fargo - Where Profit Matters More than its Employees

Current Employee - Teller in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Teller in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Worked at 2 branches. Great/friendly staff. Have made some great friends. Great work flow; everybody does their part. Smooth operations, systems for teller transactions are generally error free. Depending on who you work with you can learn fast. PTO and health benefits through the bank are great and easy to enroll in. Bonuses are nice when you reach sales goals.

Cons

A few months ago I transferred as a teller to a location in SF. I moved to the city and I wanted to be able to work in the city so I wouldn't have to deal with the teeth-grinding commute on the way back (up to 2 hours to cross the Bay Bridge). I was fortunate enough to get a referral from a friend and I was able to get things going pretty quickly. I went in and personally introduce myself to the branch manager and the private banker; 2 really nice guys that seemed thrilled to have a transferring team member. Now this is where things went south. I was called up by the recruiter to discuss when I could start and what my starting salary would be.. For whatever reason she asked me what starting wage I'd prefer. I asked for 16.00 so we could negotiate. She told me '12.50' which from what I understood was the starting wage for a new WF Teller employee. I had been with the company for over 2 years. On top of that she talked back to me like it was some sort of joke that I would be asking for anything more. "Being an employee for 2 years doesn't suffice for a wage higher than $12.50" she tells me. She was condescending and talked to me like what I was asking would have people jumping through hoops. I caved and took the 12.50 starting wage.. because after all I cut my commute in more than half and I can establish a relationship with my new branch in hopes to get a promotion. 6 months down the road and I apply for the PB1 position. My sales this quarter are number 1 compared to others at the teller line. I get a recruiting call from the same indifferent, condescending "recruiter" pretty much telling me that I can't even be considered for a promotion because I didn't comp for Q3 which was the time I transitioned between branches; A BRAND NEW POLICY THEY JUST STARTED GOING BY WHEN THEY SWITCHED DM'S A MONTH PRIOR. She basically said that the one quarter I didn't comp in my entire WF career was the reason they couldn't promote me. At this point I am seeing too many red flags with this company. So in these two instances I have learned that Wells Fargo saved a few thousand dollars on NOT sending a new hire to training and putting me (an employee that has been with the company for over 2 years) on the same wage, and that the policies that are rapidly changing are making it far more difficult to move up in the company.

If you want respect and trust from your employees, take a more humanistic approach towards the way you manage them. My boss is standing 12 feet from me and has the recruiter call me to tell me that I am not even eligible enough to get screened for an application I've submitted. Hire people that care about its customers and it's employees as oppose to numbers and profit. This company makes so much money it's unreal, and now their sales goals expectations are peaking even higher in 2015. This means that more unethical tactics are going to used by bankers in order to reach their numbers.

Keep the balls juggling

Current Employee - Service Manager II in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Service Manager II in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of benefits and discounts. Plenty of locations and jobs to choose from.

Cons

As a salary employee, exempt from over time, I often need to work 45-55 hours per week. I have no work/life balance. I need to have perfect customer service scores/meet sales quotas and staff a branch that's open 7 days a week with 6 tellers and 4 bankers. There are too many balls to keep in the air. If I drop one I'm looked down upon. I'm always hiring new people due to high turnover which then negatively affects the customer service scores, sales quotas and losses.

Go on an average for customer service scores. Expecting 80% of customers to rate you as perfect is absurd. Stop promoting people so quickly before they have time to master their current skill set. If sales are so important than have a separate sales manager who coaches to that while branch and service manager focus on customer experience and audit.

Contractor's view at Wells Fargo

Current Employee - Graphic Design Consultant III in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Design Consultant III in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They have a great work life balance and a lot of their managers want you to do well and encourage you to take classes to help you in your career or even suggest open positions within the company that may help in your career advancement. They are also very flexible with your schedules.

Cons

For someone to move up in their position, it would take someone in your group to quit or get fired, so it takes a while.

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Personal Banker II in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker II in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Working with amazing people. You can be anything you want with this company. They're huge with promoting within the company and if you have passion and demonstrate that u have what it takes you will go far.

Cons

I would say that there is constant change. Management seems to always change and sales have been difficult with all the company changes currently happening.

Management is usually good. They care about your growth and push you to do better.

Started out ok went down hill from there

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Concord, CA

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Some truly great talent, but unfortunately way to heavy in management.

Cons

No regard for their employees

Management needs to get thinned out. Way to many chiefs. Not enough of these chief have ever been in the trenches.