Wells Fargo

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf

John G. Stumpf

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good first experience in work force

Teller (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsProfessional atmosphere and learned more about personal finance.

ConsAs a teller, culture will be dictated by the store branch manager.
    It can be tough balancing trying to "sell" products, socializing with the customer to make them feel welcome, and maintaining concentration and accuracy of the task at hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be too hard on your tellers with regards to selling. It is very difficult to try and sell products or direct customers to a banker because people can see through those tactics.

Sales, Sales, Sales!

Teller (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGreat company reputation, comprehensive training, benefits for part-time employees, and fairly flexible schedule.

ConsSo sales driven; forced to speak from a script ("Welcome to Wells Fargo!" and "Have I satisfied all of your banking needs today?" to every customer); performance based on number of customer referrals, not based on customer satisfaction; very limited advancement opportunities from retail to corporate

Advice to Senior ManagementMore respect should be given to the front line. Tellers are not robots! People come into the bank to speak with a human, not a machine.

Beware!

Personal Banker I (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsThe pay makes the stress worth it.

ConsVery cliquey!! District managers play favorites so get in good with them. Sales goals are very hard to achieve and you will have to work late to meet branch goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that people are opening fraudulent accounts just to meet goals.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Service Manager

Service Manager (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsAll the tools needed to complete job duties were available at all times. Training was very helpful and provided good benefits.

ConsAfter training, once you return to the store, many employees resort to questionable behavior. Some of the expectations then were quite outrageous, causing unethical actions in the store. Upper management is biased and favoritism is highly prevalent in the district I worked in.

Advice to Senior ManagementFavoritism is highly noticeable and by doing so can effect the rest of the stores in the area. People don't quit companies, they quite management.

Great company vision however if you are in retail, forget about it

San Jose, CA

ProsThey have great benefits, 401k contribution, wonderful corporate regional managers with the right vision on leading team members and creating the culture of caring.

ConsRetail environment is very stressful and many district managers close their eyes to widget selling in order to make their goals. Retail does not have the ability for work life balance especially the higher you go within the position ie managers. All they care about is the numbers even though it's messing up people's finances.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop closing your eyes to unethical sales practices. Have some bankers or store managers work in your sales quality department rather that those who are just project managers without first hand experience.

Financial Analyst: Commercial Banking

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsWF really takes care of it's employees. They are a relationship based lender and this attitude works its way down through the entire corporate culture.

ConsWF is BIG! No, HUGE. You can easily get lost in the sea of people and when it comes down to it, unless you are a top performer (talking 1-5%) you are really a small fish in a big pond (more like an ocean).

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to engage the lower lever employees and empower them. I have seen lots of turnover and it all comes back to the fact that people do not feel valued. Have more company outings, happy hours, whatever it takes to make people feel as if they are part of a team.

Commercial Relationship Manager

Commercial Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsWells Fargo Commercial Banking is a customer centric business built on people and relationship. It’s great place to learn about lending and providing financial and advisory solutions to middle market businesses,

ConsOther areas of the bank at times do not communicate with each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Overworked and Low Pay

Home Mortgage Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGreat Benefits with great marketing materials and tools.

ConsMicro management / Low Pay / Overworked / Bad Management /

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect / Show apprecaition to employees / Recognition / Managerial support

Great opportunity for young adults to learn about finance, but ultimately should be a stepping stone in your life.

Lead Teller (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsCo-workers and customer were a pleasure to work with. Sales compensation. Solid pay for a relatively sedentary job.

ConsThe sales goals are high and difficult to meet if aren't willing to put in a lot of effort. A very repetitive customer service role.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to learn more about your employee's and don't be lazy. I was blessed with a manager who followed the rules and treated me like a person not just a number.

Auto Fin Division

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsSales people and managers- Great team trying to make it happen

ConsDid not provide a competitive package to offer to our customers

Worked for Wells Fargo? Contribute to the Community!

Wells Fargo Videos

Wells Fargo – Why Work for Us?

Wells Fargo & Company is a diversified financial services company providing banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through more than 9,000 stores and more than 12,000 ATMs and the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wells Fargo reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wells Fargo CEO John G. Stumpf. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Wells Fargo employees.