Wells Fargo Reviews

John G. Stumpf

1. Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits program, different trajectories for career growth into 90 different platforms within company

Cons

Management is inconsistent, in the retail setting each store is successful based on the manager involved and his/her philosophies, strong values but too inconsistent with following said vision.

Advice to Management

Don't make false promises for promotions only to string employees on.

2. Home Preservation Specialist

Former Employee - Funder III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Funder III in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with clients to save their homes.

Cons

Phone conversations with clients were audited

Advice to Management

Keep on...keeping on!

3. Personal banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker I (SAFE) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Team environment is good. Helping educate people on budgeting, buying homes, saving money on insurance, savings plan, how to have the best credit. Best bank there is.

Cons

Super repetitive. "So what are we focusing on again today?" Like we forgot the day before when we already went over the 3 things we are focusing on. Stupid how managers try to analyze how to get a perfect survey when we got a bad one. It's never going to be perfect. Horrible horrific terrible compensation $$$ for bankers tellers and honestly even managers. It's sad. And nearly impossible living in a downtown location. Don't even offer orca bus pass and no parking. How and when people get promoted is a joke. Sales pressure to talk like a robot and using pleasuring words to assist customers. Following same road map. Managers listen to every word you say and harass via email to their employees. Stupid.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. Get a life. Don't be condescending and maybe all of your employees wont want to leave. Be positive. Care about your team. We already get paid bad, we don't need to be emotionally drained too. Better recognition events. If you are going to push "genuine interest" with all customers, try doing that with your employees too, especially employees who at some point did care about the job and were great at it.

Expect to work real hard, I have moved up fairly quickly through hard work,

Current Employee - Lead Teller in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, time off insurance, tons of growth opportunity,

Cons

Sales can be difficult and some managers will drive you harder than others, if you do not get sales it will be hard to move up

Advice to Management

Less politics, would be nice.

6. This company is by far so freaking awesome. They treat their team members with so much respect even if they're a teller.

Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Mill Creek, WA
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Mill Creek, WA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Your team is like your second family. I have never met team members that's as friendly as this group right here.

Cons

There are no cons to this place. I only wish that they had a chair but it's totally understandable of why we do not have one

7. Great company to work for if you want to start building a career.

Current Employee - Service Manager II in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Service Manager II in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fairly comprehensive benefits
    - Good opportunity to move within the company upward and laterally across the US
    - Company is constantly trying to move towards excellent customer service over sales

Cons

- Manager positions lack work life balance from what I've seen
    - Base pay low compared to competitors or similarly placed positions.

Advice to Management

- If you paid your top talent more, you'd keep them around longer!
    - No real way to distinguish an extremely efficient hard worker from an average one.

8. Personal banker

Former Employee - Personal Banker I in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker I in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Wells Fargo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food training, benefits, and vacation. Several opportunities for advancement. All in all a good place to work but each branch offers a different atmosphere

Cons

It takes 1 year minimum with any position you start with to advance. your goal is to move widgets ultimately pushing products onto your clients, cc's insurance, mortgage... whether it is a need of theirs or not. Management will flat out lie to you about promotions in order to obtain proutine. In my experience not the most ethical company.

Wells Fargo's competitive advantage are their employees

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

I have worked for Wells Fargo for almost two years. I started as a teller and moved to a lead teller position. Wells has an extensive and great training program. They invest in their employees. In my district, I see my district manager every week and it feels less like a huge corporate company and more like extended family. Wells has great benefits and great incentive plans. Sales goals have consistently been lowered every year. Wells is focusing more on ethics and customer service than sales. You can get promoted in less than a year, like I did, if you work hard, take the initiative and ask for help you will succeed. Sales are extremely easy to achieve. Customer service is wells number one priority. You need to be customer orientated. The branch is extremely fun and high energy makes people excited to come to work. In comparison to Chase or BOA, Wells is the way to go. They invest more time and money into their employees and care about their development.

Cons

Hours are tough. Working 9-6 or like my branch,10-7 can be very tough. Not having a set schedule or working at a Sunday open branch is also difficult. Most branches are going to be transitioning soon to sunday open branches. The pilot program is going well and bringing in an increase in profit. Customer's can be entitled jerks.

Advice to Management

Take time to get to know even your tellers. They are the face of the company. If the store manager and district manager engage our tellers, the tellers will be more likely to stay and provide great customer service.

10. Teller

Current Employee - Teller in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Teller in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

Flexible Schedule and you holidayts s

Cons

Don't know yet, will update

Not for the lazy

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for a job that doesn't require any formal education. You can start from a teller and work your way into a management position if the cards fall your way. Decent PTO. Medical benefits are what you'd expect from a private sector job.

Cons

It's called retail banking for a reason - you have to work Saturdays and you have to work evenings to make cold calls to prospects during their dinner/family time. It's all about sales. Management will turn a blind eye to "gaming" by bankers and tellers who produce high sales. Had to work with angry customers who were incensed by debit cards being ordered by bankers from other stores. Other bankers closed accounts rather than transferring them to new accounts to gain sales. It's an aggressive environment and even the best people walk a fine line. I always worked with ethics and doing what's right. Never got a shot to be a manager because I was consistently hitting my sales goals and finishing in the top 20% and not the top 5%.

Advice to Management

Stop driving up sales goals every quarter on all metrics and then wonder why some folks game. When someone produces 200% to 300% of daily goals at a branch and others can't sniff 75%, it's wrong and you know it. Fire managers who don't curb gaming. And stop pressuring branches that do their numbers and ask for more while ignoring the branches that do nothing. Start promoting managers based on skill set and not numbers produced.