Welocalize

Welocalize Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Welocalize CEO and Founder Smith Yewell

Smith Yewell

Great diversity and openness.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsVery diverse workplace with different cultures, people and ways of doing things. You can be yourself.

ConsOn boarding new staff still needs work. There is a lot of learn on your own. Some of the training material needs refresh.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe environment of people being able to express themselves openly is great, keep it up.

Starting to wish I stayed at my old company

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsLocation. Exposure to the big buyers in the industry.

ConsOnboarding program is virtually nonexistent aside from a library of training videos. Basically everything is left up to you to figure out what you need to for the accounts you're assigned to. This is especially difficult because there is very little continuity from account to account so not many people have relevant knowledge to share with you. For example, the same tools are used differently on different accounts and there's no real core workflow to learn and build up from. Teams are disjointed and it's hard to determine who is responsible for what and who is available to help you. I've also noticed trying to find coverage for your time off is basically up to you as there is no cross-training and/or the place is grossly understaffed (or employees are just expected to do the work of many without wanting time off).

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons. Also, I was warned about turnover before starting here. Within weeks I saw two projects managers leave, heard horror stories about previous employees not lasting 2 months, and even had clients ask why turnover is so high. After only a couple months I am the most "senior" person on an account. I fully understand why turnover is an issue and it doesn't seem that it's an issue the company cares to address at its core.

Japanese transcriber for Siri voice recognition

Japanese Transcriber (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsWELOCALIZE Reps are wonderful people! They've treated me and my team members with respect, warm care, and personal attention. And if we had any issues at our work place, they're always willing to listen and provide solutions to us quickly. I respect the fact that they never kept us in the dark.

ConsWe wanted to have at least one business lunch with our key Reps, but unfortunately it didn't happen. It would've been really nice, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with the great work!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity to work as a contractor for Apple, Inc.

Production Design Contractor (Former Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

ProsI was shocked by the friendly and helpful communication I received throughout my contract. There was always an instant response from my manager with an answer to my question or a solution to a problem. I would be happy to work with this company again.

ConsSometimes the communication was almost too friendly and less professional than you might expect. This could be a plus for some people or a turn-off, I found it comforting after moving to a new city.

Lacking management support, foresight, clear communication, tools, and training

Frederick, MD

Pros- The opportunity to work on multi-million dollar accounts and big-name clients.
    - Hard-working employees always willing to lend a hand.
    - Some flexibility working remotely.

Cons- There is no onboarding/training; this is sink or swim.
    - Upper management lacks foresight and is unable to plan ahead of time for expanding accounts.
    - There is no support because upper management doesn't really understand what their subordinates do. If they don't understand the job, how can they give advice?
    - Employees point out process issues, make suggestions for improvement, and management agrees, but it doesn't really go anywhere. If you want to make a change, you need to make it happen or no one else will.
    - Upper management does not value training and makes little effort to offer it, even when employees request it.
    - When there is an "established process", it is overly complicated, making it difficult to react quickly and efficiently to clients' requests.
    - The company lacks real technology, making work inefficient and three times as difficult as it needs to be. Ultimately, processes are not scalable.
    - Upper management's business acumen is lacking. They're always looking to do work on the cheap. And as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for." They don't understand the real costs of projects and end up underquoting or over-promising the client, both of which lead to poor project margins.
    - The job takes a real toll on your health. Employees are getting sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you hire good people, be there to support them by taking action when they ask for help, but then get out of their way and let them do their job. After all, you hired them, so you know they're good at what they do.

Learn everything that your employees do, so you can give sound advice and provide support when needed.

Take training seriously, and promote training/onboarding programs in all aspects of the job. And promoting training does not mean pawning off training to already overly-burdened employees. Training initiatives come from the top down, so initiate training and foresee your employee's training needs. You will have happier and better-trained employees, which will improve your company profits.

Be honest; employees talk amongst themselves and know exactly what you've said. Giving misinformation or telling them what you think they want to hear is no way to retain employees.

They're making the right moves to better the company and industry

Enterprise Program Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsWelocalize is agile and flexible in an industry that has for too long accepted archaic methods as "standard." Senior management and executives are willing to make ballsy changes in order to improve how we serve customers. Welocalize has shown to really care for their employees, and are making strides in trying to improve work/life balances, and offer perks.

ConsSometimes one can feel a little whiplash by how quickly things can change, but it goes along with Smith's motto of not being afraid to fail and learning from it. Such a different company than when I first started many years ago, and it's a great place to be now.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in your people; if you don't invest in them, and they are the ones selling your business to customers, then who do you have left? There have been drastic improvements, but it's not something you fix once and are done; it's a constant process.

A terrible place to be.

Frederick, MD

ProsThe Frederick office is really good at selling the company as a great place to work.

ConsNo one takes the time to show new people how to do their job. Everyone has to swim or drown. There is a lot of back stabbing in the company. You are also expected to sit in your seat all day and not to communicate to any fellow employees while you are on the clock.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at on your notes back in 2010/2011 and follow the instructions. You have made this place such an unhealthy place to be.

If you enjoy being unappreciated, here's your dream company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are usually flexible with work hours or working remotely. Lots of talk about building a great company culture. Dress is pretty casual and you can wear jeans to the office.

ConsMoving "up the ladder" is difficult if not impossible to envision. HR is not properly trained to handle conflicts. Tight budgets for everything except exec/director salaries--they are penny wise and pound foolish. No exit interview is a sign they don't really have any desire to improve.

Constant change and constant learning

Localization Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Frederick, MD

Prosgreat vision, excellent co-workers, interesting people from around the world, strong leaders, fast paced, learned a lot, opportunity for more responsibility is good and very fast paced, made many friends for life, strong values, opportunity to see the world

Consrapid fire changes that sometimes miss the mark, long hours, lots of travel, too much to do and too little time to do it! rapid pace sometimes causes confusion, communication at some levels is not clear

Advice to Senior ManagementThe vision is good, stay true to it, communicate more often

Long hours, below average pay and no career advancement opportunities.

Pros- The people that you work with are good people.
    - No dress-code.

Cons- Management expects you to work well past 5PM and sometimes over the weekend all without overtime pay.
    - Below market average salary; annual pay raise is about 3% to 4% (if there is one).
    - Very limited career advancement opportunity unless you are on the "right" team or report to the "right" person.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees that do the work as your most valuable asset. Period.

Welocalize is not in the business to sell tangible goods like gold, crude oil and etc. It's a language service provider. Without these talented and experienced employees that enable the company to provide these services, the company isn't worth much.

Talented and experienced employees that have been with the company for years are leaving after realizing that there are much better opportunities out there. The management doesn't seem to care much about it. How is a company going to get anywhere if it is bleeding talents? Great companies out there are doing the exact opposite. They identify the talents and do whatever it takes to bring them onboard and then do everything they can to keep them happy/around.

VERY limited career advancement opportunities. As a matter of fact, Welocalize, founded in 1996, has even admitted recently that it does not have a career development program in place. Most of the management positions are filled by the employees from another company that Welocalize has acquired. And these managers promote his/her people. Talented employees that have been with the company for years are always overlooked. And we keep on creating these management positions while cutting back on hiring people to do the actual work. What exactly are these program managers/directors managing?

Stop wasting money/time running these "Operation Excellence" meetings with the management team; all you do at these meetings is patting each other on the back and telling yourselves how great you are. Save the time and money and get these over paid managers/directors to do real work. And that Company Health/Culture initiative is a joke; it's been two years and it's all talks and no actions.

Smith needs to take a good look at Welocalize from an employee's point of view. This company has veered off from the course he had envisioned years ago.

I wouldn't recommend anyone working for this company until the management gets its $#%t together. I am updating my resume as I am writing this review.

Worked for Welocalize? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Welocalize reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Welocalize CEO Smith Yewell. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Welocalize employees.