Welocalize Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

3.3

Welocalize CEO and Founder Smith Yewell
Smith Yewell

Constant change and constant learning

Current Employee - Localization Project Manager  in  Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Welocalize full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great vision, excellent co-workers, interesting people from around the world, strong leaders, fast paced, learned a lot, opportunity for more responsibility is good and very fast paced, made many friends for life, strong values, opportunity to see the world

Cons

rapid fire changes that sometimes miss the mark, long hours, lots of travel, too much to do and too little time to do it! rapid pace sometimes causes confusion, communication at some levels is not clear

The vision is good, stay true to it, communicate more often

If you enjoy being unappreciated, here's your dream company.

I worked at Welocalize full-time

Pros

They are usually flexible with work hours or working remotely. Lots of talk about building a great company culture. Dress is pretty casual and you can wear jeans to the office.

Cons

Moving "up the ladder" is difficult if not impossible to envision. HR is not properly trained to handle conflicts. Tight budgets for everything except exec/director salaries--they are penny wise and pound foolish. No exit interview is a sign they don't really have any desire to improve.

Long hours, below average pay and no career advancement opportunities.

I have been working at Welocalize full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- The people that you work with are good people.
    - No dress-code.

Cons

- Management expects you to work well past 5PM and sometimes over the weekend all without overtime pay.
    - Below market average salary; annual pay raise is about 3% to 4% (if there is one).
    - Very limited career advancement opportunity unless you are on the "right" team or report to the "right" person.

Treat employees that do the work as your most valuable asset. Period.

Welocalize is not in the business to sell tangible goods like gold, crude oil and etc. It's a language service provider. Without these talented and experienced employees that enable the company to provide these services, the company isn't worth much.

Talented and experienced employees that have been with the company for years are leaving after realizing that there are much better opportunities out there. The management doesn't seem to care much about it. How is a company going to get anywhere if it is bleeding talents? Great companies out there are doing the exact opposite. They identify the talents and do whatever it takes to bring them onboard and then do everything they can to keep them happy/around.

VERY limited career advancement opportunities. As a matter of fact, Welocalize, founded in 1996, has even admitted recently that it does not have a career development program in place. Most of the management positions are filled by the employees from another company that Welocalize has acquired. And these managers promote his/her people. Talented employees that have been with the company for years are always overlooked. And we keep on creating these management positions while cutting back on hiring people to do the actual work. What exactly are these program managers/directors managing?

Stop wasting money/time running these "Operation Excellence" meetings with the management team; all you do at these meetings is patting each other on the back and telling yourselves how great you are. Save the time and money and get these over paid managers/directors to do real work. And that Company Health/Culture initiative is a joke; it's been two years and it's all talks and no actions.

Smith needs to take a good look at Welocalize from an employee's point of view. This company has veered off from the course he had envisioned years ago.

I wouldn't recommend anyone working for this company until the management gets its $#%t together. I am updating my resume as I am writing this review.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Textbook example of how not to manage your company.

I worked at Welocalize full-time

Pros

Decent salaries once as long as you do not look at your wages as on a per hour worked basis. Also you do get a chance to work with a variety of tools.

Cons

Some of the worst management one could find in a 100 million dollar + company. The failure of management exists on every level up to and including the executive staff who can not even bother to come by a remote office when they are in the area.

Local managers play the game of, who to put on a PIP this week. No one is safe unless you are in the favored group of the month. It is so bad that someone who may have just been promoted or received a merit raise, could be on a PIP a month later. Of course that same PIP may not have any measurable metrics as part of it, and if you are truly lucky, you will be allowed to train your replacement as you try to improve.

The phrase penny wise and dollar foolish as been completely missed by this company as the investment group pulls the strings. They will fly the entire management group across country for a week of meetings (including the admin), but can not spare the change for sodas or water in the office, that used to be provided but it was then decided that they could not afford such an expense. It is so bad that they will not even pay $10 to keep the lights on past 6pm.

If you are looking to come aboard as an individual contributor, be ready to work 60+ hours a week as standard and be sold out at a moments notice if your salary gets to high.

Given that most possess little actual management skills, I would suggest to hunker down and stay employed as most other companies would not want you.

Creating Lifestyles for the New and Incompetent.

I have been working at Welocalize full-time

Pros

Industry leader in on demand translation services and spearheading their deployment to the market. Looking to leverage content in new ways, to new places to create niche markets.

Cons

Over tasked by upper management who hand-off unrealistic expectations. Continual addition of work, without addition of staff. New Hires quickly eclipse foundational team members, the "new kid" syndrom. Foundation staff leaving in droves, letting the new staff ruin the business.

Respect your foundations, the people who do the work, who earn the money, should not be nickle and dimed to justify every breath they take by people who bring nothing but bullying, negative attitudes and the ability to yell louder than others to the company.

Great company, professional coworkers

Current Employee - Localization Project Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time for less than a year

Pros

Communication is very important to develop mutual relationships between the clients and vendors. Welocalize has been known as reliable localization agency by the clients and vendors. The name we can trust.

Cons

Hourly rate is relative lower but still considerable.

More reward programs.

Challenging, ups and downs, but improving

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Welocalize full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Company is focusing on improving processes, removing waste, and automating mundane tasks. For project management teams, this will be invaluable and will allow people to focus on value added tasks rather than tedious administrative tasks. This is work in progress but great that it is being recognized and addressed.

- New initiatives for company "health" are showing some improvement on work/life balance, but this is still Localization - always on.

- For the most part, very competent staff that is dedicated to succeeding.

- WIllingness to embrace and to drive change to continuously improve the industry.

Cons

- Data gathering is placed higher than employee morale and time. Currently employees need to log their time spent in two different systems. Lack of forethought led to this being required to provide the required data to show new systems and engineering development is worth the investment.

- Project managers need to always be checking email and status of projects. People are always on, dedicated to their clients and their projects. This is not a 9-5 job and as such our team previously were provided a great deal of flexibility as to where they worked from and what specific hours. This has changed with new management and the flexibility once enjoyed is now scaled back. It is still more flexible than other companies,

- Keeping Project Management teams at 100% capacity does not allow time for learning and growth and strains people during abnormally busy times. Create learning opportunities for when people have a little free time instead of focusing on how to ensure people are busy 100% of the time.

- Growth by acquisition is a fine strategy but more energy should be spent integrating into the company. This should go beyond the integration of systems.

The all-around best LSP (localization services provider) I've worked for in my industry career.

Current Employee - Director of Business Development  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Welocalize

Pros

Innovative and creative environment, prudent and experienced management, 4 Pillar focused company culture, go-forward strategy makes solid sense.

Cons

Natural and internal growing/teething pains which can/could be handled better, specifically with internal communication flow.

Employ Balanced Scorecard planning, with functionally+geographically distributed task forces. Makes company planning transparent, gets more people involved as stakeholders, and serves as an easy communication tool

general about the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Welocalize

Pros

flexible, offer good opportunity for training, casual working environment, opportunity for promotion. work with large complex projects with major corporation

Cons

tedious and heavy loaded sometimes. a lot of small projects, not good support from engineering or management some times. some sales not professional

Run for your lives! Seriously.

Current Employee - Unpaid Drone  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Unpaid Drone in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Welocalize

Pros

You know, I wish I could tell you. They seem to do Localization work for some small companies and they have maybe one or two accounts with big firms like Apple, where they send out contractors to do similar work for them. They have changed hands so many times where management is concerned, that it's impossible to get a comprehensive understanding as to who they are or what they really do.

Cons

Do not, I warn you, do NOT agree to work for them as a contractor! I consider myself very unlucky, in that I work through them for Apple and find myself in some sort unsavory arrangement between the two of them to be kept as a 'Permatemp.' Surely everyone has heard that term by now? I have been with Apple for three years with no benefits, and though Welocalize makes a mint off me for my efforts, Apple simply writes that off as a tax deduction. So everyone wins! Oh yeah, except me of course. I want to remind everyone involved that Microsoft was sued $100 million by its Permatemps, and unless Apple and the sleazy agencies it works with want a similar action to take place, I would really suggest they start cleaning their act up a tad. As for myself, I think some folk at non-profits make more than I do, so it's not as though I would be terribly put out if they were to let me go. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the most important part, that they now owe me 2 week's pay. I haven't heard a peep out of them, so I guess their contractors are expected to work for free now. Welocalize, you're the best!

Try to do things by the rule of law, just for once. It won't hurt your profits too much, I promise! People are not morons. We may not be lawyers, but we know what you're up to. At this point I don't know whether the blame should fall more on you guys or Apple, but I smell a rat here, and there are bound to be many more where that stench comes from.

Worked for Welocalize? Contribute to the Community!