Wendy's

Updated August 19, 2014

3.1

Wendy's President and Chief Executive Officer Emil Brolick
Emil Brolick

Pros
  • Good first job and had a family environment (in 14 reviews)

• Good starter job for teens to learn basic customer service skills in a fast paced environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • The cons to working at Wendy's is that it's hot in the back and it is usually for long hours (in 32 reviews)

• The worst part is the fact that you're making minimum wage for all of the stuff you put up with (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

This is my job

Pros

Fun fun fun fun fun

Cons

This is the cons of the job

Poor management led to bad work environment

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Colesville, MD
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Colesville, MD

Pros

Discounted meals, friendly co-workers, simple process that can easily be learned.

Cons

While it was a new Wendy's, in my time there I never saw a work schedule and there was no form of organization. I was forced to wait by the phone and see if I was going to be called in to work or I could decide to show up and see if they needed me. Management didn't really care about the employees and were often slow in assisting the employees when assistance was required. I can't fully blame them because they are grossly underpaid for the amount of work they do. I believe they told us a manager makes about $30k a year working about 50 to 60 hours a week. At times, they seemed miserable and it translated over to the workplace. I have heard that all four managers were fired within 2 years and my assessment of Wendy's may not be in line with that of others.

Getting re-hired at this location: The worst mistake I've ever made

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Springfield, IL

Pros

Clientele is decent if you wear a smile, hours are plentiful, half off meals

Cons

Minimum wage pay even with seniority, no benefits. Irrational, overly controlling and lazy management, team was very ghetto, new hires were not hired at a good standard, closers typically worked 9-11 hours straight with no break (illegal in Illinois), drugs were dealt on line during business hours, drawers were stolen from often (my $164 shortage occurred on a week which included 3 other drawer shortages anywhere from 2x to 3x larger than that, one employee was let go on the spot her first day due to one of these shortages), management refused to investigate shortages, yet manager enforced we keep drawers cracked open so team can "prechange" (assemble coin change) faster.

Labor day resulted in pay being pushed back from Monday to Wednesday - took management until 8 pm to inform employees of this, 21 of whom were waiting in the back of the lot for their checks, some of them had been waiting since 1:30, and many of which had to take a $50 advance on their pay just to get gas in their cars and leave the lot. Management also did not inform us these delayed checks (which were sent as personal checks) were not taxed, so our next ones were double-taxed.

Workload is impossible and not worth the pay.

Manager that ran my shift and refused us breaks was later promoted to general manager at N. Dirksen.

Learn who you are letting up the corporate ladder, and learn to put stores like this out of their misery.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy job, little pay.

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Rotterdam, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Rotterdam, NY

Pros

-easy work
    -friendly enviroment
    -free drinks
    -request days off and get it

Cons

-very low paychecks
    -have to do any dirty jobs that the managers dont wanna do
    -random hours every week

Keep up the good work

A good first job experience

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Bushnell, FL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Bushnell, FL

Pros

As a crew member you aren't entitled to any vacation or paid days off, but rest assured that in general you can call out (say you can't show up for some reason) on short notice with little to no consequences, at least in the short term. Hours may be a concern to you if you want overtime. Overtime is strictly forbidden for crew members (and the position one step higher on the ladder, discussed later), though flexibility is luxurious. If you want to work this day but not that day and mornings until this time you should probably get what you want, within reason. Also on overtime, if you go over 39:59 hours (39 hours and 59 minutes), meaning you hit 40 hours or "full time", you get in trouble. Once you're about to become a full-time employee, you're no longer useful to Wendy's Corp., but you're the one that has to pay attention to your hour accumulation? Yes. Your starting pay depends on your experience. I had no prior work experience at all so I was started at minimum wage, but some friends that had prior management experience in food services got started at $9 an hour or a bit better.

There are employee reviews and raises every six months, at which time raises are determined. Raises are not a big thrill to be honest, but the gesture is nice. As far as I'm aware, the range is 5-15 cents, which even at the upper range barely makes up for inflation. I have heard of isolated situations where people got a 25 cent raise and I'm not sure if there's some secret raise scale for ultra prime employees but I would not count on making much more than minimum wage as a crew member at Wendy's even after a few years.

Opportunities for advancement are readily available after six months of employment. Basically the requirement to be promoted is complete knowledge of all procedures. One step up from Crew is Supervisor ("Shift Supervisor"), at which point your responsibilities double, but you get a 50 cent raise. I heard the raise can vary, but I don't know specifics. A shift supervisor is basically a key-holder. You get vacations and personal days, but you still can't hit or exceed 40 hours. Above shift supervisor is full-fledged manager, and assistant manager might be above that but I'm really not in tune to the specifics at this level. After learning a bit about the system I decided I didn't want to advance at all so I didn't get too grabby for information. Above the "full-fledged managers" (who get another (better) pay raise (range unknown), and get a certain granted allotment of overtime) is the general manager who is the official boss of the store. If you're passionate about the company and the business, if you love what you do every day as a crew member and want to lead, move up. It's fairly easy and it'll be worth it for you in that case.

Day to day can be hectic or not, depending on business volume. I met many nice people at both locations I worked at (Our crew was sent to another store while our store was being renovated) and formed some friendships. Every store appears to have those few crew members that are regularly snappy and rude, and/or are lazy and don't do the job right, and/or trash talk for fun. I'd advise you to just ignore these people. Cooperate with them because they're your teammates, but otherwise don't put stock in what they say.

Cons

Like most jobs, it's not for everybody.
    If there's a manager with a refractory attitude and abrasive personality, it's not pleasant.
    Despite the "Competitive pay" Wendy's talks about, pay isn't really as competitive as you'd expect.
    Depending on who trains you, you might learn the 100% corporate approved "right!" way to do something, the "store-wide" slightly off book but middle-management approved "right" way to do it, or the "We have to make sure no one sees us do it this way" way to do it. This can lead to some annoying "talkings-to," when you weren't aware you'd been doing something wrong, even if you don't actually get in trouble. My personal advice is to get to the root of the exact corporate approved "right!" way, because it'll keep you from second guessing how you're cleaning the grill when the GM walks by. Additionally the DM and occasionally higher-ups will drop by unannounced, and it's best to revert to "best practice" procedures as soon as they walk in the door.

Do more cross-training, and find a way to make sure that "one on one" manager-crew training really is manager-crew training.

Also, to Wendy's corporate, increase base pay and requirements for punctuality and attendance to a level that weeds out people that are content staying dead-beats. Higher base pay raises standards for new hires, which to be honest, is needed.

Great company to work for.

Pros

If you don't already have the skills you acquire great communication and customer service skills.

Cons

Occasional rude customers during night shift

Great experience to get going in customer service.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

Pros

Working with coworkers who like to help other people with their food.

Cons

The amount of ungreatful, disrespectful, and rude customers that I encountered.

It was professional

Wendys Review

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst  in  Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Dublin, OH

Pros

Great enviorment, good people, fun workplace

Cons

None to speak of. Pretty great place to work if you are hired on.

Keep it up

Great first job

Current Employee - Cashier/Drive Thru  in  Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Drive Thru in Sarasota, FL

Pros

Wendy's is a great first job to have. The people were pretty nice, they were very flexible with hours and scheduling.

Cons

Working at Wendy's was sooo stressful, and I woudnt recommend working there for a long period of time. I got only one 20 cent raise over the year I worked there. It was a good start, but it's not worth working there for a long time, unless you choose to go into management.

Make sure to have enough staff. There was so many times when we were short handed and didn't have enough people.

Okay job for teens, too much work for little pay

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Jupiter, FL

Pros

Receive employee discount on foods, flexible schedule, ok work/life balance, career advancement opportunities for those who want a career in fast food, semi annual raise (get raise every 6 months)

Cons

pays minimum wage; too much work for little pay, get a 10 cent raise every six months

Worked for Wendy's? Contribute to the Community!