Werner Enterprises

Werner Enterprises Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Werner Enterprises Vice Chairman and CEO Gregory L. Werner

Gregory L. Werner

Pros
  • Lots of miles if you are willing to work for them(in 4 reviews)

• They have an excellent training program(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for their drivers especially if you are a minority(in 6 reviews)

• Very high stress/pressure and long hours(in 5 reviews)

Very good experience

Freight Broker (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsVery employee-friendly. Had a death in the family in my first few months and there was no issue taking the time I needed.

ConsPTO could be a little better; pay is a little lower than I'd like, but not bad. Management is very hands-off in my department, which can sometimes be a pro and sometimes a con

Advice to Senior Managementgive more feedback on the good and bad

Great Drivers, HR nightmare management

Fleet Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent for both driver and office. Benefits are probably above average with paid days off accumulating rather quickly. Unfortunately, you want to use them as fast as you earn them to get away to de-stress.

ConsVery high stress/pressure and long hours. Drivers and office pushed dangerously. Mutually exclusive goals such as disciplinary action vs turnover the norm. Employment threatened constantly if performance and other goals not met.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing through fear and treat your employees like human beings.

Proceed with Caution

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe company provides work out rooms and a track. There are a lot of great people who are extremely dedicated.

ConsThey are top heavy with upper management and these people (mostly men) are so impressed with themselves that they do not see what is actually going on around them. The promotions are based on who you know and how bad you screwed up. Many, many of these people can do or say anything to their employees and then sit and laugh and compare notes about it afterward. They are so focused on the drivers that they are forgetting about the people in the trenches everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold all managers accountable for their actions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

more money for the drivers

Truck Driver (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGood dispatchers, always there to help when you needed it. help with crossing the border was always good. very few problems.

Conspay is not enough for the work that we were doing. no retention pay under 4 hours and even then it was only 20 dollars for 4 hours, and no more than 45 in a 24 period.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more, you won't have so much turn over. money is why I left your company. it is why most of your drivers leave.

Not a company I would recommend. Good ol boys club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHas a salon, gym, outdoor track, and cafeteria at home office. Might be good place to start if you are just getting back in the workforce or starting a career.

ConsBad overall management and culture at home office. They promote individuals who are bad managers but are in the good ol boys club. Very high turnover of drivers due to poor treatment and pay.

Not the best company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExperience with other corp that Werner has contact with

Conslittle support, minimal salary, and long work hrs with no compensation for overtime. Overtime is expected everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees better, salary is probably the low end of industry. Support your employees better. Two of the top reasons your best employees leaving the company

Great starter company, not for long term or women drivers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWill take you fresh outta school with no experience and a DUI over 5 yrs old. Relaxed atmosphere. 3 days of orientation only. Uses Qualcomm.

ConsThey only had 3 women drivers nation wide! The pay is crap. Was going to have to wait forever for a non smoking woman trainer, and I should've because my trainer I was paired with was a train wreck!

Advice to Senior ManagementShould offer more incentives for women to sign on, which will open more opportunities for women drivers. And a possible compatibility test before you team people up to train.

Excellent career advancement opportunities... a company build from hard work and determination.

ProsWerner is a strong, debt free company with many career paths and a promote from within environment. They have afforded me with the ability to spend the time that I need with my family, I can't remember ever missing an important family event? As life has dealt me it's rough times, illnesses and many personal challenges, Werner has always been there for me with support and understanding.

ConsI can't think of many cons, the pay and benefits and time off are very good. They also have a relaxed work environments and an outstanding wellness program. I really like the work hard, play hard, family oriented culture.

Young Professional and Drivers - Do not look here here!

Fleet Manager (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsAs a Transportation Management Trainee, I earned a significantly higher salary than most people in my graduating class right out of college. However, if someone other than Werner offers you over 35,000, take it. My salary was 42,400 before terminated. You shouldn't ask for anything less if you have a college degree. It was nice having a convenience store on campus. The perks of just working there were pretty good.

ConsManagement is always under pressure, thus be expected to answer such ridiculous questions as "Why did you do that?" You will be asked to solve issues that are impossible to fix. It's a truck. It breaks down. There is not always a recover truck. You will be expected to work with ancient technology that is exceptionally difficult to work with. You will almost have to yell at someone to make them take the action you want them to take. This company is not afraid to make their opinion known that they are a GOP supporter and they want you to be as well! The worst part about this place is communication not only with drivers but with management. First, Drivers are asked to be in impossible situations and they do sometimes get behind, but a service level contract does not allow for anyone to be imperfect. Management is good at only a couple things, threatening you with your job and counting their money. Ask almost anyone who works at this place and they will say it is a miserable place to work. The benefits package is horrific, not average as they might lead you to believe. Tension is extremely high from 7 am in the morning till you leave at 5. If you leave at five, just to clean up for the day, expect to leave at 6-7 each evening. Expect very little time off, if any and expect there to be no coverage for you when you're gone so disaster after disaster may persist. I am so happy I was terminated from this place! It was the best thing that could have happened to me. They tried to say I was willfully neglectful on the job, which was never the case. A judge even determined that they lied to them and I never was neglectful. This place is a horrible place to work for and I strongly recommend you look elsewhere for work whether it be professionally or as a driver.

Advice to Senior ManagementHere is what is breaks down to: Listen from the bottom up. Coach people. Create these little things called Standard Operating Procedures and recommendations! This is the biggest area you can learn from. Also, you NEED to be more neutral towards politics. You can start by not always playing Fox news in the lunch room. you wonder why you can't keep drivers? Your Fleet Managers are MISERABLE!

Company Driver

Company Driver (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCan gain experience to find a better job

ConsLow pay, brain dead dispatcher, poor condition of equipment, PAY, miles too many to type

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your divers more, listen to your drives, answer the freaking phone when your driver calls, PAY your drivers more than what you are paying them, quit sitting on new trucks and assigning trucks in horrible condition and PAY your drivers more than you are paying them.

Worked for Werner Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!