Werner Enterprises

Werner Enterprises Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Werner Enterprises Vice Chairman and CEO Gregory L. Werner

Gregory L. Werner

Pros:
  • "If you get a dedicated lane you'll get lots of miles"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Their training program is not the best, but you will get the experience you need"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very low pay for their drivers especially if you are a minority"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The Dollar General account calls for hard labor and a lot of down time due to old trailers"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent career advancement opportunities... a company build from hard work and determination.

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWerner is a strong, debt free company with many career paths and a promote from within environment. They have afforded me with the ability to spend the time that I need with my family, I can't remember ever missing an important family event? As life has dealt me it's rough times, illnesses and many personal challenges, Werner has always been there for me with support and understanding.

ConsI can't think of many cons, the pay and benefits and time off are very good. They also have a relaxed work environments and an outstanding wellness program. I really like the work hard, play hard, family oriented culture.

Werner is a pretty good company but they have some issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Werner Enterprises

ProsNice people, company is in good financial standing

Consnot working at the corporate office keeps you out of the loop

Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood overall culture, can work for a large trucking company and gain experience in all modes of transportation.

Conslong hours, below average pay and benefits

Too many poor leaders

Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time

ProsMany opportunities. Appears to be growing, peppered with many hard workers, company can be a global mover in the trucking and logistics arena if it can tap into the wealth of lower level workers.

ConsManagement and poor leadership seem to stifle so many careers and innovations. Salary is not enough to keep the talented workers and it is the poor leadership actions that drives them away..

Advice to Senior ManagementPour into those who are trying to move the company forward. Give back to those who are giving and don't try to bleed them dry of energy and ideas. More quality training, better policies for office employee's ...stop treating them like truck drivers...they are NOT.

good starter company

Truck Driver (Former Employee)
Fontana, CA

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Prosthey will take you right out of school with no experience. Lots of miles if you are willing to work for them. the will always reimburse you for truck purchases.

Consnight time dispatch, weekend dispatch, breakdown procedures.

Advice to Senior Managementtell dispatch to treat their drivers with more respect, they keep your company going. get some new trailers & get rid of the jalopies. make an easier way to get a hotel when you break down because not everyone accepts those E.F.S checks " like none do. Tell your recruiters to stop lying. western regional should mean western regional.

Good ol' boys' club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorked with a lot of good people; the company provides great services for customers; the company can be employee focused; excellent, safe drivers

ConsKeeping your job and career progression is all about who you know - I resigned, but saw plenty of instances of inconsistent treatment of employees and violations of policy/law.

Senior management is a joke

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

ProsOK pay, good co workers

Consbenefits aren't great. Don't get on management's bad side or watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a business, stop making things personal.

Cronyism and nepotism reign; if you are not in the buddy groups of Op Sups and Directors, you'll stagnate.

Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some long-term people who have accrued a wealth of knowledge and are willing to help you out and learn. There is some degree of interdepartmental collaboration when getting things done that fosters a sense of team-work and quid pro quo for getting things done. Standard benefits package and PTO when you accrue it.The opportunity to have a job rather than nothing is of course appreciated, and it is stable enough as long as, like anywhere I suppose, you learn, perform well and contribute. A few of the higher-level managers in the company have some good ideas and experience.

ConsDirectors are indifferent to all needs but their own. In VAS, one is a micro-managing annoyance, one is out of touch with his employees except for his pals who bull-poop in his office (and he doesn't acknowledge the minions nor wants to), another is a pompous donkey rear-end who gets overly worked up and shows little respect for a select few, and the other is the same as the previously described one except more donkey rear-end. One person was hired directly into a sup position which irked quite a few people in other areas, especially when hired just a few months before someone else with more extensive managerial experience, and a higher education with a grad degree from a respected, AACSB accredited university...but the person hired is prettier (and there are more than one of those)...but diversity quotas must be met I assume. Inadequate pay for most positions, and rising through the ranks, unless you are a crony, will take some time. Usual bureaucratic redtape and bullpoop. No COL raises either, so to keep up with and surpass inflation, you had better have a spouse with a better job that DOES, or learn to love bartending or stocking groceries at night. Rather opaque unless, again, you are in the "buddy system" with the "in" crowd.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome levels of management are adequate, but many feel that they know more than other people without even giving them a chance and not knowing a thing about their background, intelligence, potential, etc. Don't use the excuse "it's transportation" or "it's a hard industry". Quality employers truly have an emphasis on people involvement, development, retention and respect. As soon as I am able to hopefully move on to something better, I am out the door.

It was a very good experience overall.

CDL OTR DRIVER (Former Employee)

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Prosweekly paychecks, opportunity to become trainer and make more money

ConsAlways on the road as an OTR driver and no family time.

over worked and under compensated 14cents a mile get real

West Coast Driver (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Prosalways have the miles, great equipment & maintenance program over all great place to work

Consmost the dispatchers don't care about the driver and or their needs " Listed as a west coast driver Spent all my time on the east coast getting the dirt pay of west"

Advice to Senior ManagementRid out the bad dispatchers and pay drivers better get rid of the b.s. east west coast pay charts and pay drivers right

Worked for Werner Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!

Werner Enterprises Videos

Werner Enterprises – Why Work for Us?

About Werner Werner Enterprises, Inc. was founded in 1956 and is a premier transportation and logistics company, with coverage throughout North America, Asia, Europe, South America, Africa and Australia. Werner… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Werner Enterprises reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Werner Enterprises CEO Gregory L. Werner. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Werner Enterprises employees.