Werner Enterprises Reviews

155 reviews filtered by
2.7
Werner Enterprises Vice Chairman and CEO Gregory L. Werner
Gregory L. Werner

Pros
  • Lots of miles if you are willing to work for them (in 4 reviews)

• They have a good training program and lots of loads for OTR and Local positions (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low, low pay for being out on the road two to three weeks at a time (in 8 reviews)

• Very high stress/pressure and long hours (in 6 reviews)

1. Not bad, pleanty of miles

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Great equipment, plenty of freight

Cons

Low pay not much room for growth where I live

2. I was a summer intern at Werner which was very valuable.

Former Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE

I worked at Werner Enterprises

Pros

They taught us the different business units of global transportation for the first half of the summer then we got to choose the area we were most interested in spending time in for the second half of the summer. Pay was great for an intern and we also got to do a lot of fun things outside of work.

Cons

Transportation isn't the most fascinating subject to talk about so some days were boring.

3. Company is okay for new drivers needing experience. But for seasoned drivers, it really a great place to make money.

Current Employee - Truck Driver Regional in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Truck Driver Regional in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Good equipment, great equipment from start.

Cons

Low pay, to many days out with very small amount of time at home.

Work more with drivers to make driving experience more rewarding and more home time per week or time off for reset.

5. Good place to get your start

Current Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company means plenty of freight to deliver, especially on dedicated accounts.

Cons

They are buying lots of new trucks (many with auto trans), but you may or may not get a really good truck at the very beginning.

Offer pay when drivers are delayed by weather. Currently, if you are stuck because of a snow storm, you don't get any income.

6. Not a bad way to start your career but this company will not make you rich.

Current Employee - Dedicated Manager in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Dedicated Manager in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growth, promotions can come every 2-3 years with positions across the US. Financially stable debt-free. Up to 30 vacation days per year. Good support team, efficient operating software, technology. Headquarters has museum, gym, track, barber, store, looks like a good place to work but I've always worked at outside locations.

Cons

Ceiling doesn't look high, best bet is to move to headquarters in Omaha for Director-level but it's not a huge company and those jobs are not available often. Off-site operations may not have glamorous working conditions, often in double-wides, or a small leased office or cubical. At headquarters about everyone below Director-Level is in a cubical. Average medical benefits.

7. Professional Driver

Former Employee - Professional Driver in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Professional Driver in Allentown, PA

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

TRAINING on Electronic Logs Taking CBT for DOT regulations a plus Driving new tractors

Cons

Low on pay scale from all other companies

Need to work closer with the driver and the drivers needs..

I feel that the company is simply a great starter company.

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great lunchroom (The food there is a step down from restaurant quality)
    Great benefits (Has every benefit you would ever need)
    Relocation options (Werner is everywhere an is always hiring)
    good bonuses
    negation able hours

Cons

Bad leadership
    Unfair promotion system
    short retention (most people leave after two years)
    Full time salary (they are able to work you well past 60 hours with no over time pay)
    Pay is average overall

Diversify the Leadership

9. A Culture of Corruption

Former Employee - Dedicated Lane Driver in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Dedicated Lane Driver in Omaha, NE

I worked at Werner Enterprises

Pros

I worked at Werner from 2002 to 2007. I rarely, if ever, had a problem getting paid, and when my anniversary date came each year they would automatically deposit my vacation money into my bank account. The equipment is very well maintained, and if you need another tractor quickly, because yours is not available, they usually could get you another one right away. I was impressed with their tractor and trailer mechanics. Most of the time they did a great job very quickly. The lane run got me home every night and the weekends too, the full weekend.

Cons

I was on a dedicated lane from Omaha, NE to North Platte, NE, and the pay started out around 22.5 cents per mile and they next, and only, pay advancement took you to 25.5 cents per mile, after 3 or 4 years of time in. They may have changed that now, but that pay was way under what it should have been. You got one week of vacation for the first four years, and two weeks for your fifth year which was too long to wait. The opportunities for advancement or placement, in Omaha anyway, were slim and none. They typically only had night lane runs and family dollar available. They constantly have you on the computers each month taking safety courses that could last from thirty minutes to 90 minutes, but 90 minutes was very rare. You got a $20 credit at the Werner store for each time you took your safety courses, but they were mandatory, and a pain in the rump. The absolute worst part about working at Werner was the dispatchers. They were just rude as could be, and they treated you like a piece of equipment to be ordered around. There were many time that I got into arguments with them for how badly they treated the drivers. It is true that sometimes drivers that would finish the orientation would be waiting one to several weeks for a truck. It didn't happen often, but it was still too often which just show poor communication, honesty and competence on the part of the administration. One last major failure of the company was the driver relations department. They should change the name of that department to the administration relations department. They were mostly useless. I had one girl who actually took the side of management during her attempts to help me. Most of the time the driver relations just swept the problem under the carpet. They were ineffective at best, and at worst, corrupt. That is a good word to use for this company. They are very mafia-like. They have a take it or leave it attitude about almost everything. Werner is a corrupt and dysfunctional company, and I hope they fail, for the sake of the decent drivers out their. Somebody else will take their place, after they fail, it is the nature of things.

Put logic, morality and efficiency at the top of your list, all three of them, and then you will begin to turn things around. You need to slowly weed out the dispatchers and administration figures that add to this culture of corruption. Without your drivers, you are just a bunch of administrators with no source of income. You have forgotten what is important and you will pay a severe financial price for this, if you don't figure it out.

10. DRIVER

Current Employee - Driver Trainer
    Current Employee - Driver Trainer

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Werner was a good starting point for my career. Had a great dispatcher, good benefits, and there was room for growth.

Cons

Same cons of any other big company. Unless you're on a dedicated or regional account, they really don't know you. But really nothing out of the ordinary.

Communication is the key to any profitable business.

11. 1st year driving

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

5500-6500 miles a week as a team driver

Cons

Pay per mile does not increase fast enough

Werner Enterprises Photos

Drive Werner...We'll take you places.
Werner Enterprises is headquartered in Omaha, Neb.
Werner Enterprises is proud of the diverse opportunities available throughout the organization.

+ Add Photo