Werner Enterprises Reviews

Updated August 10, 2014

2.6

Werner Enterprises Vice Chairman and CEO Gregory L. Werner
Gregory L. Werner

Pros
  • Lots of miles if you are willing to work for them (in 4 reviews)

• good training company with good trainers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for their drivers especially if you are a minority (in 6 reviews)

• Very high stress/pressure and long hours (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent career advancement opportunities... a company build from hard work and determination.

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Werner is a strong, debt free company with many career paths and a promote from within environment. They have afforded me with the ability to spend the time that I need with my family, I can't remember ever missing an important family event? As life has dealt me it's rough times, illnesses and many personal challenges, Werner has always been there for me with support and understanding.

Cons

I can't think of many cons, the pay and benefits and time off are very good. They also have a relaxed work environments and an outstanding wellness program. I really like the work hard, play hard, family oriented culture.

Young Professional and Drivers - Do not look here here!

Former Employee - Fleet Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a Transportation Management Trainee, I earned a significantly higher salary than most people in my graduating class right out of college. However, if someone other than Werner offers you over 35,000, take it. My salary was 42,400 before terminated. You shouldn't ask for anything less if you have a college degree. It was nice having a convenience store on campus. The perks of just working there were pretty good.

Cons

Management is always under pressure, thus be expected to answer such ridiculous questions as "Why did you do that?" You will be asked to solve issues that are impossible to fix. It's a truck. It breaks down. There is not always a recover truck. You will be expected to work with ancient technology that is exceptionally difficult to work with. You will almost have to yell at someone to make them take the action you want them to take. This company is not afraid to make their opinion known that they are a GOP supporter and they want you to be as well! The worst part about this place is communication not only with drivers but with management. First, Drivers are asked to be in impossible situations and they do sometimes get behind, but a service level contract does not allow for anyone to be imperfect. Management is good at only a couple things, threatening you with your job and counting their money. Ask almost anyone who works at this place and they will say it is a miserable place to work. The benefits package is horrific, not average as they might lead you to believe. Tension is extremely high from 7 am in the morning till you leave at 5. If you leave at five, just to clean up for the day, expect to leave at 6-7 each evening. Expect very little time off, if any and expect there to be no coverage for you when you're gone so disaster after disaster may persist. I am so happy I was terminated from this place! It was the best thing that could have happened to me. They tried to say I was willfully neglectful on the job, which was never the case. A judge even determined that they lied to them and I never was neglectful. This place is a horrible place to work for and I strongly recommend you look elsewhere for work whether it be professionally or as a driver.

Here is what is breaks down to: Listen from the bottom up. Coach people. Create these little things called Standard Operating Procedures and recommendations! This is the biggest area you can learn from. Also, you NEED to be more neutral towards politics. You can start by not always playing Fox news in the lunch room. you wonder why you can't keep drivers? Your Fleet Managers are MISERABLE!

Not the best company to work for

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Experience with other corp that Werner has contact with

Cons

little support, minimal salary, and long work hrs with no compensation for overtime. Overtime is expected everyday.

Pay your employees better, salary is probably the low end of industry. Support your employees better. Two of the top reasons your best employees leaving the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company Driver

Current Employee - Company Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can gain experience to find a better job

Cons

Low pay, brain dead dispatcher, poor condition of equipment, PAY, miles too many to type

Pay your divers more, listen to your drives, answer the freaking phone when your driver calls, PAY your drivers more than what you are paying them, quit sitting on new trucks and assigning trucks in horrible condition and PAY your drivers more than you are paying them.

Werner is a pretty good company but they have some issues

I worked at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Nice people, company is in good financial standing

Cons

not working at the corporate office keeps you out of the loop

Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good overall culture, can work for a large trucking company and gain experience in all modes of transportation.

Cons

long hours, below average pay and benefits

Too many poor leaders

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Programmer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time

Pros

Many opportunities. Appears to be growing, peppered with many hard workers, company can be a global mover in the trucking and logistics arena if it can tap into the wealth of lower level workers.

Cons

Management and poor leadership seem to stifle so many careers and innovations. Salary is not enough to keep the talented workers and it is the poor leadership actions that drives them away..

Pour into those who are trying to move the company forward. Give back to those who are giving and don't try to bleed them dry of energy and ideas. More quality training, better policies for office employee's ...stop treating them like truck drivers...they are NOT.

Senior management is a joke

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

OK pay, good co workers

Cons

benefits aren't great. Don't get on management's bad side or watch out.

It's a business, stop making things personal.

Good ol' boys' club

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with a lot of good people; the company provides great services for customers; the company can be employee focused; excellent, safe drivers

Cons

Keeping your job and career progression is all about who you know - I resigned, but saw plenty of instances of inconsistent treatment of employees and violations of policy/law.

good starter company

Former Employee - Truck Driver  in  Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Pros

they will take you right out of school with no experience. Lots of miles if you are willing to work for them. the will always reimburse you for truck purchases.

Cons

night time dispatch, weekend dispatch, breakdown procedures.

tell dispatch to treat their drivers with more respect, they keep your company going. get some new trailers & get rid of the jalopies. make an easier way to get a hotel when you break down because not everyone accepts those E.F.S checks " like none do. Tell your recruiters to stop lying. western regional should mean western regional.

Worked for Werner Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!