Werner Enterprises Reviews

Good starter company

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver

I worked at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Keeps you moving. Takes those without experience, allows pets, home within day of when you want. Trucks are well maintained.

Cons

Pay is quite low compared to other companies out there.

Advice to Management

Pay needs to be looked at. You could keep drivers and have less turnover if you paid better. Most everything else is within reason or satisfactory.

Poor Culture

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was room for growth and stability to a certain extent if transportation is what you really think that you are into.

Cons

High stress
    Customers are always angry and it is always your fault
    It is hard to work across functions within the organization. For example, if you ask a planner where a truck is they get angry that you are pushing them to do something for you, but if you don't know where a truck is your customer will get angry and they are who pays for the service. If you can't get the location of the truck from your planner and give it to your customer, your customer will be angry and so will your manager.
    The company culture here is very poor. If you want a fulfilling job and you have a college degree this is not the place to work. You can do better

Advice to Management

You really have to change the company culture. No one has ever shown up to Werner excited to work. It feels more like a terrible nightmare that you can't wake up from.

3. Rush, rush, wait for days...

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Got hired, APUs, wasn't homeless while working but felt like you have to work just to eat.

Cons

It's always the drivers fault.

Trying to explain to dispatch. you can't slide 83,000 lbs to equal out a load. While on E...

Asked technically how illegal is stuff is? A out light is an out light. Overweight is still overweight. Still will get fined!

Terminals feel a lot like jail and your truck is your cell . In Laredo your fenced off from all office personal even the parking lots are separated and fenced in with separate security. Oh and terminals offer higher chances for quick terminations. So staying down the road instead is safer career wise.

Advice to Management

Bring back the old man.

My outlook

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay on time, Great benefits

Cons

Little to know home time

Advice to Management

When we need to get home get us home don't just say we acknowledge it.

6. This is a great start up.

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

This is basically a paycheck to paycheck job.

Cons

Hardly no room for promotions, no time-off if so, not compensated for it.

Advice to Management

none

Still in training, but already seeing scary trends...

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Too early to tell, but the training staff and terminal folks have been courteous thus far. I have heard dedicated routes are worth it.

Cons

Lack of caring from drivers and NO pressure from upper management to fix these issues. I'm OTR training and nearly half the trailers we have pulled have had issues. Whether it is cracked brake shoes, lights, door seals, or tires there have been lots of issues. It is very early with this company, but I am already starting to see bad trends which cause me to fix others laziness and simple avoidable issues. I don't mind working hard, but when I open a trailer full of cardboard and pallets and then find it has cracked brakes and an ABS light that is not working...THIS IS PLAIN LAZINESS!! Punish those responsible for MAKING THE MESS, NOW those FIXING THE MESS OTHERS HAVE MADE.

Advice to Management

Hold drivers responsible for their actions. If a driver enters a dropped trailer into their Qualcomm with "No" checked next to the question "Dropped trailer needs maintence?" And the next driver finds a bunch of maintence issues, the driver who didn't do their job by not checking the trailer they dropped should be punished. If drivers started getting fined $20 for every trailer they dropped in awful condition or stacked with garbage, these issues would clear up very quickly. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS NOT HARD. If something is wrong, get it fixed, or lose your pay for not doing your job correctly. Pretty simple really. Lastly, stop punishing the good drivers who really do want to see productive change occur in this company. Every driver that is left out of commission due to a faulty trailer or tractor. COMPENSATE THEM BETTER, so they are rewarded for finding the issues in your company. Don't thank your people by punishing them by not repairing or compensating them in a timely manner. By not rewarding people they soon lose the drive to want to do the right thing.

Fast paces work environment 24/7 365 days a year.

Current Employee - Area Planner in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Area Planner in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Busy environment, with many different departments. Once you have a basic understanding of the company, able to move around.

Cons

Current training programs are lacking, sink or swim mentality. Long hours with little shown appreciation from management. Male dominated company.

Advice to Management

Implementing better hours of work. Show appreciation to employees.

Under appreciated

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worker atmosphere
    Time off
    Insurance

Cons

Supervisor
    Pay rate
    No room for growth

Advice to Management

Check every location for rule breaking.

10. Are You Really Sure You Want to Work at Werner?

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great people that work there who care about each other and the drivers. They go above and beyond as part of their day to day duties. The environment is pretty good at least at first.

Cons

If you resign your job they turn their back on you and treat you like a traitor. The Family puts themselves on a pedestal and act like they are above reproach. The highest level of management look through you and dismiss you altogether. It can be fun and challenging but don't expect to be able to voice your opinion, get credit for what you accomplish, or be recognized.

Advice to Management

Get back to Werner Cares. You have lost it with the office employees. Care for all employees like you say you do with the drivers.

Good company

I worked at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Good pay, good miles on the right account

Cons

Not much home time. Fleet mangers can be a headache.

Werner Enterprises Photos

Drive Werner...We'll take you places.
Werner Enterprises is headquartered in Omaha, Neb.
Werner Enterprises is proud of the diverse opportunities available throughout the organization.

+ Add Photo