Werner Enterprises Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.6

Werner Enterprises Vice Chairman and CEO Gregory L. Werner
Gregory L. Werner

Pros
  • Lots of miles if you are willing to work for them (in 4 reviews)

• Their training program is not the best, but you will get the experience you need (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay for student driving, some of the student trainers (in 7 reviews)

• The worst part about this place is communication not only with drivers but with management (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good experience

Current Employee - Freight Broker in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Freight Broker in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very employee-friendly. Had a death in the family in my first few months and there was no issue taking the time I needed.

Cons

PTO could be a little better; pay is a little lower than I'd like, but not bad. Management is very hands-off in my department, which can sometimes be a pro and sometimes a con

give more feedback on the good and bad

Great Drivers, HR nightmare management

Former Employee - Fleet Manager
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is decent for both driver and office. Benefits are probably above average with paid days off accumulating rather quickly. Unfortunately, you want to use them as fast as you earn them to get away to de-stress.

Cons

Very high stress/pressure and long hours. Drivers and office pushed dangerously. Mutually exclusive goals such as disciplinary action vs turnover the norm. Employment threatened constantly if performance and other goals not met.

Stop managing through fear and treat your employees like human beings.

Proceed with Caution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides work out rooms and a track. There are a lot of great people who are extremely dedicated.

Cons

They are top heavy with upper management and these people (mostly men) are so impressed with themselves that they do not see what is actually going on around them. The promotions are based on who you know and how bad you screwed up. Many, many of these people can do or say anything to their employees and then sit and laugh and compare notes about it afterward. They are so focused on the drivers that they are forgetting about the people in the trenches everyday.

Hold all managers accountable for their actions.

more money for the drivers

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Detroit, MI

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good dispatchers, always there to help when you needed it. help with crossing the border was always good. very few problems.

Cons

pay is not enough for the work that we were doing. no retention pay under 4 hours and even then it was only 20 dollars for 4 hours, and no more than 45 in a 24 period.

pay more, you won't have so much turn over. money is why I left your company. it is why most of your drivers leave.

Not a company I would recommend. Good ol boys club

I worked at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Has a salon, gym, outdoor track, and cafeteria at home office. Might be good place to start if you are just getting back in the workforce or starting a career.

Cons

Bad overall management and culture at home office. They promote individuals who are bad managers but are in the good ol boys club. Very high turnover of drivers due to poor treatment and pay.

Great starter company, not for long term or women drivers

I worked at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Will take you fresh outta school with no experience and a DUI over 5 yrs old. Relaxed atmosphere. 3 days of orientation only. Uses Qualcomm.

Cons

They only had 3 women drivers nation wide! The pay is crap. Was going to have to wait forever for a non smoking woman trainer, and I should've because my trainer I was paired with was a train wreck!

Should offer more incentives for women to sign on, which will open more opportunities for women drivers. And a possible compatibility test before you team people up to train.

Excellent career advancement opportunities... a company build from hard work and determination.

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Werner is a strong, debt free company with many career paths and a promote from within environment. They have afforded me with the ability to spend the time that I need with my family, I can't remember ever missing an important family event? As life has dealt me it's rough times, illnesses and many personal challenges, Werner has always been there for me with support and understanding.

Cons

I can't think of many cons, the pay and benefits and time off are very good. They also have a relaxed work environments and an outstanding wellness program. I really like the work hard, play hard, family oriented culture.

Young Professional and Drivers - Do not look here here!

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Transportation Management Trainee, I earned a significantly higher salary than most people in my graduating class right out of college. However, if someone other than Werner offers you over 35,000, take it. My salary was 42,400 before terminated. You shouldn't ask for anything less if you have a college degree. It was nice having a convenience store on campus. The perks of just working there were pretty good.

Cons

Management is always under pressure, thus be expected to answer such ridiculous questions as "Why did you do that?" You will be asked to solve issues that are impossible to fix. It's a truck. It breaks down. There is not always a recover truck. You will be expected to work with ancient technology that is exceptionally difficult to work with. You will almost have to yell at someone to make them take the action you want them to take. This company is not afraid to make their opinion known that they are a GOP supporter and they want you to be as well! The worst part about this place is communication not only with drivers but with management. First, Drivers are asked to be in impossible situations and they do sometimes get behind, but a service level contract does not allow for anyone to be imperfect. Management is good at only a couple things, threatening you with your job and counting their money. Ask almost anyone who works at this place and they will say it is a miserable place to work. The benefits package is horrific, not average as they might lead you to believe. Tension is extremely high from 7 am in the morning till you leave at 5. If you leave at five, just to clean up for the day, expect to leave at 6-7 each evening. Expect very little time off, if any and expect there to be no coverage for you when you're gone so disaster after disaster may persist. I am so happy I was terminated from this place! It was the best thing that could have happened to me. They tried to say I was willfully neglectful on the job, which was never the case. A judge even determined that they lied to them and I never was neglectful. This place is a horrible place to work for and I strongly recommend you look elsewhere for work whether it be professionally or as a driver.

Here is what is breaks down to: Listen from the bottom up. Coach people. Create these little things called Standard Operating Procedures and recommendations! This is the biggest area you can learn from. Also, you NEED to be more neutral towards politics. You can start by not always playing Fox news in the lunch room. you wonder why you can't keep drivers? Your Fleet Managers are MISERABLE!

Not the best company to work for

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Experience with other corp that Werner has contact with

Cons

little support, minimal salary, and long work hrs with no compensation for overtime. Overtime is expected everyday.

Pay your employees better, salary is probably the low end of industry. Support your employees better. Two of the top reasons your best employees leaving the company

Company Driver

Current Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can gain experience to find a better job

Cons

Low pay, brain dead dispatcher, poor condition of equipment, PAY, miles too many to type

Pay your divers more, listen to your drives, answer the freaking phone when your driver calls, PAY your drivers more than what you are paying them, quit sitting on new trucks and assigning trucks in horrible condition and PAY your drivers more than you are paying them.

Werner Enterprises Photos

Drive Werner...We'll take you places.
Werner Enterprises is headquartered in Omaha, Neb.
Werner Enterprises is proud of the diverse opportunities available throughout the organization.

+ Add Photo