Werner Enterprises Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Customer service manager

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Warren enterprise has a campus cafe with pretty reasonable priced food. They also have a weight room that is free to use for employees.

Cons

long hours, very poor training program, not that great pay,on the computer. if you are a salaried employee you have to work 50 hours a week + 27 days out of the year. very bad PTO policy.

Advice to Management

get a better training program in place for the new employees Harriet cut down the 50 hour work weeks. come up with a better PTO policy

2. Not bad, pleanty of miles

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver

I have been working at Werner Enterprises

Pros

Great equipment, plenty of freight

Cons

Low pay not much room for growth where I live

3. I was a summer intern at Werner which was very valuable.

Former Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE

I worked at Werner Enterprises

Pros

They taught us the different business units of global transportation for the first half of the summer then we got to choose the area we were most interested in spending time in for the second half of the summer. Pay was great for an intern and we also got to do a lot of fun things outside of work.

Cons

Transportation isn't the most fascinating subject to talk about so some days were boring.

Mechanic

Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Diesel Mechanic in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trucks are newer than some other company's equipment. Werner is always hiring, but not because of growth. There are benefits, but the cost more than an employee can afford. $414. 00 a month out of your pocket for family medical.

Cons

This company is run like it's still 1977. Wages are low, really low, even for this industry. Wages have been set at 2 percent for years. That means that everyone gets closer to 1.6 percent. Please consider working somewhere else first. You will never get promoted. All the spots you could possibly get promoted to are filled by guys that have been with the company for 20 years or more and they will never leave.

Advice to Management

I have no advice. They are rich, and I am not. It wouldn't matter if I did. They would ignore the best advice from the best source.

driver

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good company with most benefits, it has at least 10 terminals where you can get some repairs, and orientation.

Cons

it does not pay much, the driver is at the bottom of the company, not too much home time.

Advice to Management

no advice

Awful. If you

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Laredo, TX
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Laredo, TX

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time

Pros

They don't ask you to work for free.

Cons

Werner Enterprises seems to always be at the receiving end of joint lawsuits in regard to their payment policies. Those policies keep drivers on the road for months at a time for _less_ than minimum wage. They pay out as a result of lawsuits, but the driver ultimately loses. Listen carefully: even if you're the newest driver on the road, *disregard any and all promises made by Werner Enterprises.* You're better off sitting at home, since their pay isn't even enough to keep an unmarried driver with no kids on the road. You'll be living in the truck for nothing. On top of that, mechanics are generally hostile and try to get you to ride with a truck that won't come close to passing a DOT inspection. The administrative staff treats drivers with disrespect. Don't wait for it to 'get better' as they promise; just go to a competing company in the first place. This is for your benefit. I wouldn't lie to you. I know what you've gone through to get and keep your license and reputation. Don't waste it on Werner.

Advice to Management

Stop ripping off your drivers! I hope they all unionize on you and shut your shady operation down. Labor is going too bite back eventually. You can count on that.

Tractor Mechanic

Former Employee - Tractor Mechanic in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Tractor Mechanic in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The atmosphere. The shop. The equipment is new and well maintained.

Cons

The horrendous pay. No room for advancement. Benefits are really expensive. No performance incentives. The horrendous pay. Annual reviews? Don't expect much on raises. Did I mention horrendous pay?

Advice to Management

PLEASE pay your employees what they are worth. That's drivers and mechanics. They are the lifeline of the operation and they ARE NOT taken care of. Period.

Student Driver

Former Employee - Driver Trainee in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Driver Trainee in Fontana, CA

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will accept drivers right out of Driving School.

Cons

The training program sucks. The "Trainers" are actually regular drivers that want to team up and double their miles. It was 4 of us that went to Werner, only 2 finished the 2 month training and even they had to change Trainers a few times.

Advice to Management

When you hire someone to be a Trainer, the incentive should be to train the new student instead of getting double the miles. If I can drive the truck as well as the trainer, there is no reason for me to seek training. Driving school teaches you just enough to pass the DMV test. That does not qualify me to drive a fully loaded truck while my trainer sleeps in the back.

Good place to get your start

Current Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company means plenty of freight to deliver, especially on dedicated accounts.

Cons

They are buying lots of new trucks (many with auto trans), but you may or may not get a really good truck at the very beginning.

Advice to Management

Offer pay when drivers are delayed by weather. Currently, if you are stuck because of a snow storm, you don't get any income.

11. Not a bad way to start your career but this company will not make you rich.

Current Employee - Dedicated Manager in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Dedicated Manager in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growth, promotions can come every 2-3 years with positions across the US. Financially stable debt-free. Up to 30 vacation days per year. Good support team, efficient operating software, technology. Headquarters has museum, gym, track, barber, store, looks like a good place to work but I've always worked at outside locations.

Cons

Ceiling doesn't look high, best bet is to move to headquarters in Omaha for Director-level but it's not a huge company and those jobs are not available often. Off-site operations may not have glamorous working conditions, often in double-wides, or a small leased office or cubical. At headquarters about everyone below Director-Level is in a cubical. Average medical benefits.

RSS Feed </> Embed