Werner Enterprises Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.6

Werner Enterprises Vice Chairman and CEO Gregory L. Werner
Gregory L. Werner

Pros
  • Lots of miles if you are willing to work for them (in 4 reviews)

• good training company with good trainers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for their drivers especially if you are a minority (in 6 reviews)

• Very high stress/pressure and long hours (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

good starter company

Former Employee - Truck Driver  in  Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Fontana, CA

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Pros

they will take you right out of school with no experience. Lots of miles if you are willing to work for them. the will always reimburse you for truck purchases.

Cons

night time dispatch, weekend dispatch, breakdown procedures.

tell dispatch to treat their drivers with more respect, they keep your company going. get some new trailers & get rid of the jalopies. make an easier way to get a hotel when you break down because not everyone accepts those E.F.S checks " like none do. Tell your recruiters to stop lying. western regional should mean western regional.

Cronyism and nepotism reign; if you are not in the buddy groups of Op Sups and Directors, you'll stagnate.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some long-term people who have accrued a wealth of knowledge and are willing to help you out and learn. There is some degree of interdepartmental collaboration when getting things done that fosters a sense of team-work and quid pro quo for getting things done. Standard benefits package and PTO when you accrue it.The opportunity to have a job rather than nothing is of course appreciated, and it is stable enough as long as, like anywhere I suppose, you learn, perform well and contribute. A few of the higher-level managers in the company have some good ideas and experience.

Cons

Directors are indifferent to all needs but their own. In VAS, one is a micro-managing annoyance, one is out of touch with his employees except for his pals who bull-poop in his office (and he doesn't acknowledge the minions nor wants to), another is a pompous donkey rear-end who gets overly worked up and shows little respect for a select few, and the other is the same as the previously described one except more donkey rear-end. One person was hired directly into a sup position which irked quite a few people in other areas, especially when hired just a few months before someone else with more extensive managerial experience, and a higher education with a grad degree from a respected, AACSB accredited university...but the person hired is prettier (and there are more than one of those)...but diversity quotas must be met I assume. Inadequate pay for most positions, and rising through the ranks, unless you are a crony, will take some time. Usual bureaucratic redtape and bullpoop. No COL raises either, so to keep up with and surpass inflation, you had better have a spouse with a better job that DOES, or learn to love bartending or stocking groceries at night. Rather opaque unless, again, you are in the "buddy system" with the "in" crowd.

Some levels of management are adequate, but many feel that they know more than other people without even giving them a chance and not knowing a thing about their background, intelligence, potential, etc. Don't use the excuse "it's transportation" or "it's a hard industry". Quality employers truly have an emphasis on people involvement, development, retention and respect. As soon as I am able to hopefully move on to something better, I am out the door.

It was a very good experience overall.

Former Employee - CDL OTR DRIVER
    Former Employee - CDL OTR DRIVER

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

weekly paychecks, opportunity to become trainer and make more money

Cons

Always on the road as an OTR driver and no family time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

over worked and under compensated 14cents a mile get real

Former Employee - West Coast Driver  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - West Coast Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

always have the miles, great equipment & maintenance program over all great place to work

Cons

most the dispatchers don't care about the driver and or their needs " Listed as a west coast driver Spent all my time on the east coast getting the dirt pay of west"

Rid out the bad dispatchers and pay drivers better get rid of the b.s. east west coast pay charts and pay drivers right

It's ok

Current Employee - CSA
    Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at Werner Enterprises part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customer is always a pleasure to deal with and the director of Werner is good and caring but he is the only one in corporate that cares about the office staff.

Cons

They only care about drivers. Complete disregard to office staff.

Understand that office employees are important too.

OTR Driver - Eastern Regional

Former Employee - Eastern Regional  in  Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Eastern Regional in Allentown, PA

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy hire on, quick to work

Cons

the pay/compensation was low for what was expected of you

more pay to the drivers for everything, like dead head miles, pay for waiting on/with a load,

VERY POOR

Former Employee - Trailer Tech  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Trailer Tech in Dallas, TX

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time

Pros

there are no good reasons to work here

Cons

5 interviews with no results

Get your GRA GAR Company together.... very poor management there!!!!!

DO NOT work for this company! They do not care about their employees or their drivers on the road. BAD employer

Former Employee - Breakdown Agent  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Breakdown Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is none! Ask anyone who works at Hills Bros trucking because they all left from there

Cons

There are too many to list!! DO NOT work for this company. worst decision I ever made!

Management is the problem!! After Daddy gave ownership to the Kids the company went to hell

untrustworthy in what they offer to students and graduates in the trucking ingustries

Former Employee - Regional Motor Freight Carrier
    Former Employee - Regional Motor Freight Carrier

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Pros

i feel that the pros don't weigh here none that I can think of

Cons

lack of communication throughout the whole company

get with the program of who moves the freight and there needs

Great Starter Job

Former Employee - Driver  in  Bessemer, AL
    Former Employee - Driver in Bessemer, AL

I worked at Werner Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training program is good. I had a good trainer that was patient. I only recommend that when you sign on with them please specify that you want a company driver. I heard nightmare stories about owner operators trainers. I left a better driver due to the training program.

Cons

My experience was my truck stayed in the shop half the time and I only got a loaner one time. The Dollar General account calls for hard labor and a lot of down time due to old trailers. The money is good. Was not getting paid for all my trips so stay on your fleet manager and keep up with your trip packs. this is a true on the job experience. Do not be afraid to get Driver relations involved. Oh on the Dollar General account the trainers are going to be getting most of the loads due to having a trainee help with the driving.

To the upper management the DG account could be a good one for new drivers if you are more honest and give this dedicated account some good trucks to go with the terrible trailers. Have some layover pay for this account while waiting on trailers on Monday and Thursday.

Worked for Werner Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!