Wesleyan University

Updated December 13, 2014
4.0

Wesleyan University President Michael S. Roth
Michael S. Roth

I like being a student here.

I have been working at Wesleyan University

Pros

Some of the professors in the Computer Science department are really good.

Cons

People hang out within set groups and lack of diversity in those terms.

Don't shut down our parties so soon.

Chapel Usher

Former Employee - Usher in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Usher in Middletown, CT

I worked at Wesleyan University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ed, Chapel Manager, was always kind to the students.

Cons

No Cons that I can think of.

No advice to Management.

Teaching assistance

I have been working at Wesleyan University

Pros

Good hours good salaries, easy job

Cons

I was under utilized by my professor

Brilliant students...staff, not so much.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Wesleyan University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The campus is beautiful and the community is engaged; it's a privilege to interact with students and professors who are thoughtful, committed, and often luminaries in their respective fields.

Cons

Staff salaries are nowhere near competitive and there is very little room for growth. Often departments are comprised of entry-level and senior positions only (with little or nothing in between), leaving employees with the choice of waiting for someone to leave or retire, or seeking positions elsewhere to advance in their careers. The university loses many capable and effective employees due to its lack of real commitment toward fostering professional growth and development. Additionally, in recent years staffing cuts have reduced institutional effectiveness, resulting in overall loss of quality and causing those in leadership positions to become mired in day-to-day operational work rather than crucial planning and management duties.

Your staff (many of whom have terminal degrees and years of expertise) are as important as faculty to the successful operation of the university - provide them with fair compensation and pathways for career development or suffer the loss of money and institutional knowledge that comes with the increasingly high rate of turnover seen on campus today.

From the Technical Staff perspective

Current Employee - Technical Staff for CFA in Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Technical Staff for CFA in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Wesleyan University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The co-workers are really great people.

Cons

Relatively low wage, but since you are students, and the work schedule is super flexible, it's fine.

I can't contribute this section.

Positive work-study experience, fantastic and dedicated staff - Worked on Library Staff

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Wesleyan University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked in the library, and would rate the overall experience as very positive. I had a tremendous amount of free reign, and the staff is incredibly understanding, nice, and helpful. They are appreciative of every task you complete, no matter how small, and give you a large amount of freedom in organizing and accomplishing the jobs they give you. With little oversight, it provides the ability to really work at your own pace. If you are motivated, or if you just love receiving compliments from wonderful people, the lack of oversight really doesn't hinder you at all. I found it very rewarding to work there, and hope that my upcoming jobs are filled with as many wonderful people as the Wesleyan University Library staff.

Cons

There is an ability to slack off, depending on your position, and the temptation can be tough to avoid. Some days are more productive than others. There are also a few rude people who work there, which can occasionally add an unpleasant tinge to the day. However, those people are few and far between. Moreover, the tasks that some of the managers have to organize and deal with on a daily to weekly basis seem daunting and possibly overwhelming. As a student worker, I didn't personally experience this, but I witnessed some of the stress that it caused. Not sure if this was due to chronic under-staffing or a transitory period (trying to hire someone that would take on some of the load).

Stress of working at a large university with none of the benefits

I worked at Wesleyan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many intelligent people working at Wesleyan and a vibrant cultural and art scene. Lovely campus. There are some well-known professors at Wesleyan and the benefit of the university's small size is that you can become personally acquainted with many of them.

Cons

Very limited money and resources, to get things done you must know who to talk to and then be patient. Administration makes many frustrating decisions based on saving face and saving money rather than the well-being of students or employees. There is great pressure to produce research and grants similar to larger schools, but without adequate staff or funds this endeavor is becoming increasingly unattainable. In the past few years cuts to vital support staff have been made, including cleaning staff and the administrative assistants in many departments.

Worked in the IT depatrtment

I worked at Wesleyan University full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, access to the gym and many of the School's facilities, opportunities to take some classes for free. Great benefits in general!

Cons

Poor management in general, unprofessional conduct, poor leadership at times. Saw several examples of employees who were not actually well suited for the roles they had and would be better off doing something else.

Be careful about hiring people.

Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate in Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Middletown, CT

I worked at Wesleyan University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Did research, relaxed environment, interesting work. Great to get paid as a student for working in a lab, lots of opportunities to learn new techniques and methods.

Cons

There was a lot of logistics and scheduling to manage. There's also not much to do if you're on campus for the summer.

Wesleyan is a nice place to earn a graduate degree.

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Wesleyan University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wesleyan has small class sizes with lots of one on one interaction with PIs. It is a friendly, non-competitive environment.

Cons

Wesleyan has no real graduate level classes because it is a smaller university. The program also has no set rules, just guidelines, and these tent too change from person to person.