Wesleyan University Reviews

Michael S. Roth

From the Technical Staff perspective

Current Employee - Technical Staff for CFA  in  Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Technical Staff for CFA in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Wesleyan University part-time for more than a year

Pros

The co-workers are really great people.

Cons

Relatively low wage, but since you are students, and the work schedule is super flexible, it's fine.

I can't contribute this section.

Positive work-study experience, fantastic and dedicated staff - Worked on Library Staff

Current Employee - Library Assistant  in  Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Wesleyan University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked in the library, and would rate the overall experience as very positive. I had a tremendous amount of free reign, and the staff is incredibly understanding, nice, and helpful. They are appreciative of every task you complete, no matter how small, and give you a large amount of freedom in organizing and accomplishing the jobs they give you. With little oversight, it provides the ability to really work at your own pace. If you are motivated, or if you just love receiving compliments from wonderful people, the lack of oversight really doesn't hinder you at all. I found it very rewarding to work there, and hope that my upcoming jobs are filled with as many wonderful people as the Wesleyan University Library staff.

Cons

There is an ability to slack off, depending on your position, and the temptation can be tough to avoid. Some days are more productive than others. There are also a few rude people who work there, which can occasionally add an unpleasant tinge to the day. However, those people are few and far between. Moreover, the tasks that some of the managers have to organize and deal with on a daily to weekly basis seem daunting and possibly overwhelming. As a student worker, I didn't personally experience this, but I witnessed some of the stress that it caused. Not sure if this was due to chronic under-staffing or a transitory period (trying to hire someone that would take on some of the load).

Stress of working at a large university with none of the benefits

I worked at Wesleyan University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are many intelligent people working at Wesleyan and a vibrant cultural and art scene. Lovely campus. There are some well-known professors at Wesleyan and the benefit of the university's small size is that you can become personally acquainted with many of them.

Cons

Very limited money and resources, to get things done you must know who to talk to and then be patient. Administration makes many frustrating decisions based on saving face and saving money rather than the well-being of students or employees. There is great pressure to produce research and grants similar to larger schools, but without adequate staff or funds this endeavor is becoming increasingly unattainable. In the past few years cuts to vital support staff have been made, including cleaning staff and the administrative assistants in many departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked in the IT depatrtment

I worked at Wesleyan University full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, access to the gym and many of the School's facilities, opportunities to take some classes for free. Great benefits in general!

Cons

Poor management in general, unprofessional conduct, poor leadership at times. Saw several examples of employees who were not actually well suited for the roles they had and would be better off doing something else.

Be careful about hiring people.

Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Middletown, CT

I worked at Wesleyan University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Did research, relaxed environment, interesting work. Great to get paid as a student for working in a lab, lots of opportunities to learn new techniques and methods.

Cons

There was a lot of logistics and scheduling to manage. There's also not much to do if you're on campus for the summer.

Wesleyan is a nice place to earn a graduate degree.

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Wesleyan University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wesleyan has small class sizes with lots of one on one interaction with PIs. It is a friendly, non-competitive environment.

Cons

Wesleyan has no real graduate level classes because it is a smaller university. The program also has no set rules, just guidelines, and these tent too change from person to person.

Great.

I have been working at Wesleyan University full-time

Pros

The people are very nice.

Cons

I commute, otherwise a great place.

Wonderful place to work, beautiful campus and atmosphere of learning.

Former Employee - Creative  in  Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Creative in Middletown, CT

I worked at Wesleyan University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for an esteemed university is a great way to keep the mind sharp and to learn as much as you are contributing to your position. I learned so much from my co-workers in this very open-minded, sharing atmosphere. Not at all competitive.

Cons

There's a challenging mental hurdle to overcome, which is that the university costs a fortune for students to attend, yet salaries will never be at the level they are in the corporate world.

Office of Admissions

Former Employee - Tour Guide  in  Middletown, CT
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Middletown, CT

I worked at Wesleyan University full-time

Pros

Because of a confidentiality agreement, my description of this job might be pretty limited. However, I would say that the most exciting part of my job is to create a great experience for those who come to our office to visit the campus.

Cons

It was a college summer job so the pay was not very satisfying.

Maybe we need a better web design

awesome time at a great university

I have been working at Wesleyan University

Pros

smart people everywhere and tons of stuff to do

Cons

hipsters and too much pretension

Worked for Wesleyan University? Contribute to the Community!