Wesleyan University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wesleyan University President Michael S. Roth

Michael S. Roth

Positive work-study experience, fantastic and dedicated staff - Worked on Library Staff

Library Assistant (Current Employee)
    Middletown, CT

ProsWorked in the library, and would rate the overall experience as very positive. I had a tremendous amount of free reign, and the staff is incredibly understanding, nice, and helpful. They are appreciative of every task you complete, no matter how small, and give you a large amount of freedom in organizing and accomplishing the jobs they give you. With little oversight, it provides the ability to really work at your own pace. If you are motivated, or if you just love receiving compliments from wonderful people, the lack of oversight really doesn't hinder you at all. I found it very rewarding to work there, and hope that my upcoming jobs are filled with as many wonderful people as the Wesleyan University Library staff.

ConsThere is an ability to slack off, depending on your position, and the temptation can be tough to avoid. Some days are more productive than others. There are also a few rude people who work there, which can occasionally add an unpleasant tinge to the day. However, those people are few and far between. Moreover, the tasks that some of the managers have to organize and deal with on a daily to weekly basis seem daunting and possibly overwhelming. As a student worker, I didn't personally experience this, but I witnessed some of the stress that it caused. Not sure if this was due to chronic under-staffing or a transitory period (trying to hire someone that would take on some of the load).

Worked in the IT depatrtment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, access to the gym and many of the School's facilities, opportunities to take some classes for free. Great benefits in general!

ConsPoor management in general, unprofessional conduct, poor leadership at times. Saw several examples of employees who were not actually well suited for the roles they had and would be better off doing something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful about hiring people.

Research Associate

Research Associate (Former Employee)
    Middletown, CT

ProsDid research, relaxed environment, interesting work. Great to get paid as a student for working in a lab, lots of opportunities to learn new techniques and methods.

ConsThere was a lot of logistics and scheduling to manage. There's also not much to do if you're on campus for the summer.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wesleyan is a nice place to earn a graduate degree.

Graduate Student (Current Employee)
    Middletown, CT

ProsWesleyan has small class sizes with lots of one on one interaction with PIs. It is a friendly, non-competitive environment.

ConsWesleyan has no real graduate level classes because it is a smaller university. The program also has no set rules, just guidelines, and these tent too change from person to person.

Great.

ProsThe people are very nice.

ConsI commute, otherwise a great place.

Wonderful place to work, beautiful campus and atmosphere of learning.

Creative (Former Employee)
    Middletown, CT

ProsWorking for an esteemed university is a great way to keep the mind sharp and to learn as much as you are contributing to your position. I learned so much from my co-workers in this very open-minded, sharing atmosphere. Not at all competitive.

ConsThere's a challenging mental hurdle to overcome, which is that the university costs a fortune for students to attend, yet salaries will never be at the level they are in the corporate world.

Office of Admissions

Tour Guide (Former Employee)
    Middletown, CT

ProsBecause of a confidentiality agreement, my description of this job might be pretty limited. However, I would say that the most exciting part of my job is to create a great experience for those who come to our office to visit the campus.

ConsIt was a college summer job so the pay was not very satisfying.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe we need a better web design

awesome time at a great university

Prossmart people everywhere and tons of stuff to do

Conshipsters and too much pretension

Barista at Pi Cafe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- One of the best paying jobs on campus
    - Easy to switch shifts
    - Flexible hours

Cons- Not remotely career-advancing (pi cafe)

Wesleyan is a Place That Treats Faculty like Family

Middletown, CT

ProsWesleyan treats employees very well because they are people with a positive outlook on life and success. Goals are high but that means achievements are definitely celebrated! Due to the quality of the Film School, you get the chance to see and work on events with high profile celebrities, which always keeps things interesting. Furthermore, if you are having personal issues, they are sensitive to your needs. The Staff genuinely cares about your well-being. It's easy to see why this University has such a high reputation.

ConsThe interesting thing about working at Wesleyan is the facilities, some of which are acquired from neighboring properties. Occasionally, updates to these facilities are quite necessary. However, this depends highly on your department.

Worked for Wesleyan University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wesleyan University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wesleyan University CEO Michael S. Roth. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Wesleyan University employees.