West Bend Mutual

Kevin Steiner

#1 Great Place to Work in Southeastern Wisconsin

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI

I have been working at West Bend Mutual full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits
    Great Environment
    Management Team that Truly Cares
    Great Culture and Values
    Wonderful Cafeteria
    Provides insurance training on-site
    Fun environment

Cons

Although my drive isn't that far, sometimes I wish I lived closer.
    As the company grows, continue the family feeling that has made WBMI special.

Keep doing what you are doing!
    Continue to celebrate successes

Terrible IT Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous in West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in West Bend, WI

I worked at West Bend Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits.
    Many nice people that do exhibit Responsibility, Integrity and Excellence.

Cons

Most but not all of IT Management is really something; vindictive when you are not willing to conspire to uphold their lies. Not willing to take accountability for their words or actions or lack thereof. Inexperienced senior leadership whose main focus is to always have a scapegoat available for their failures. Completely chaotic environment with unrealistic expectations. Managers that are good and actually have people skills are seen as weak and not allowed to effectively manage their people.

Bring in a new CIO and senior management team that can lead the IT team in a direction that supports the company's culture...Responsibility, Integrity and Excellence. "The Program" is burying their failures into other work budgets, for example, the support/maintenance team (aka: Bundle) is completely allocated to PAS work but work efforts are recorded to the support/maintenance budget so objectives appear to be met for the PAS Project! The reality of the PAS Project is very different than what I suspect is being reported to the Board of Directors.

Believe all the negative reviews on Glassdoor regarding WB and IT Dept. they are very true.

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at West Bend Mutual

Pros

The building, the facilities, the grounds, the health and fitness center.

Cons

There probably isn't enough space allowed in these reviews to list it all. As other reviews have noted, WB "used" to be a great place to work, 5 years ago. Not any more. Don't fall for all the fluff you might hear about them being nominated or selected as a Great Place to Work for either Insurance, Industry or Milwaukee. Employees are "strongly encouraged" to fill those surveys out. The last 5 years I was employed there, I saw close to 100 folks leave, just in IT alone. This was from a staff high of less than 200. It wasn't because the economy improved or they got a job closer to home or better pay. They left primarily because they couldn't stand the ridiculous environment that IT had become. The pay and benefits was adequate but not outstanding. And this was more because there was a lack of candidates that reside in the area and more as a reason to try to attract talent to drive up to West Bend. Really, do you want to go to a place and spend 8-11 hours every day wondering if that day is going to be your last? I spent almost 6 months feeling like that. Do you like having monthly "performance reviews" where you're told you're under skilled, overpaid and under-worked? And all the while told that your annual bonus won't be affected but then announced that you won't be getting one due to your performance reviews? Oh and just sign off on it, everyone does..... Do you want to work for a boss that claims to have "years and years of experience in development" and then when you try to discuss challenges and issues with the software she gives you a blank stare with glazed over eyes? This is the type of supervisor/management team that exists in IT.

I run into current and former employees on a regular basis and the running joke is, "so who left this week and who's crazy enough to still be staying there"?.....

Open your eyes and clean the house.....

If time travel is your thing, this is the place for you!

Current Employee - IT Grunt in West Bend, WI

I have been working at West Bend Mutual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The cafeteria is good and there are nice hiking trails. They have a gym. The building is lovely.

Cons

I had to laugh when I read the other reviews. No one is going to do anything with them anyway, but may as well get my frustrations out. If you have a mind and can make a decision the IT organization and EPMO are not for you. Young, insecure "yes man" middle management. You NEVER see upper management and the incompetent middle managers mock them and brag about being able to deceive them. Senior management sits in another building and buries their heads while 1/3 of their workforce leaves each year. Unless you are over the age of 50 and can't get another job. The entire day is spent pointing fingers and pushing personal agendas. They go after people until they fire them or get them to quit. No one can be trusted- peers tattle on each other in hopes of getting on managements good side. Project Managers are secretary's and offer little to no value. Don't waste your breath on a fresh idea or your manager will feel threatened and you will not get your bonus and the witch hunt will begin. Managers read your emails, call your phone daily to make sure that you change your voice mail message everyday, monitor your hours and bust you for being a minute late, watch who you take breaks with, talk to, etc. They are major control freaks who regularly tell you that you are "replaceable" and back stab people. If you didn't grow up in West Bend and aren't related to someone else there, you are not welcome, that message is loud and clear. People are demoted all of the time, people who act unethically are promoted, while those who report them are demoted. If you enjoy the thought or working in a typing pool where you have no say and you are punished for feedback and contributing ideas, then this is the place for you! Do you want to stay in the same job for the rest of your life while incapable people around you get promoted because they grew up in West Bend or are related to one of the managers? Send us your updated resume. If you enjoy sleepless nights wondering if tomorrow is the day that you get walked out the door, then absolutely apply. Do you like cancelled vacations and being told that you can't take vacation for 6-8 months out of the year- while middle and senior managers take off, then send your resume right in! Do you not want to see your family during waking hours, except maybe on Sundays? Call HR right away! I can't say enough bad things about this place- right down to their "anonymous" surveys where they call employees into a room to "fix there way of thinking" and ask them to resubmit if anything negative is said. There is so much infighting among the three business units and nothing gets accomplished.

You recently extended your recruiting efforts to Madison because no one in South Eastern, WI will work here. How much longer can you bury your head in the sand? Get rid of the executive offices and sit with your groups. You would be surprised to see how dysfunctional your teams are. Top down management and managing by intimidation and threats haven't been used since circa 1985. And jeans days and candy in the break room doesn't help this time.

No accountability, low integrity, back-stabbing culture within IT and PMO - a genuine, toxic dumpster fire.

Former Employee - Program Manager in West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Program Manager in West Bend, WI

I worked at West Bend Mutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Deceivingly beautiful building, grounds, and benefits.

Cons

Gross incompetence rewarded, but severe punitive consequences for anyone who calls it out.
    IT and the PMO did "witch hunts" to transfer accountability and blame from real problems, and altered data to support their employment decisions.
    Executive leadership had no idea what was going on because facts were hidden from them.

Get a spine! Think courageously, encourage transparency, and demonstrate genuine and costly integrity.
    Understand that many staffing firms refuse to do business with you because of all the horror stories they've heard from people who have worked there.

Horrible Experience

Former Employee - Systems Business Analyst in West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Systems Business Analyst in West Bend, WI

I worked at West Bend Mutual full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The facilities.
    Some good employees that work hard.
    The pay was good.
    I struggle to find much more to say about the IT Org.

Cons

My viewpoints are purely on the IT Organization. I do not have much experience on the business side.
    Overall IT maturity is very immature in their people, process, and technologies.
    The management there is a dictatorship.
    They are very unprofessional.
    They lack experience.
    They have no idea how to motivate employees.
    Leadership for them is through intimidation, and not through inspiration.
    To make up for their lack of abilities they micromanage.
    They don't support their employees. In fact I've seen them throw people under the bus in front of large groups. Completely classless.
    In the time I spent there I watched 30 IT people walk out the door in a years’ time.
    Be aware that they lie to you about your performance because they think it’s motivational to say are doing a bad job after you were told you did a good job on something.
    I would avoid this company at all costs. If you have to work there because it is the last place on Earth that will hire you then maybe look to the IT Infrastructure org only.

Clean house and get some seasoned people in there so you can become a complete class organization. I would think this company could do even better if they had the right people in place.

Was good before it became a sweat shop for IT

Current Employee - IT Grunt in West Bend, WI

I have been working at West Bend Mutual full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are very good, campus is exceptional, subsidized lunch - avg. cost to employee is about $5 depending on what you order, large dining area, gym, nature trails out back, company picnics, bonus checks yearly.

Cons

They used to boast about being a premier place to work and they were a premier employer under all of the senior leadership throughout the company's history up through CEO and President Tony Warren. The current CEO/President rose through the ranks of the sales silo of the company and now it's all about the bottom line. The rich culture they had from inception is gone and that's the saddest part. Gone is the work / life balance. Gone is recognition for extra work and long hours. Gone is the retention of long time dedicated employees. Now the turnover in IT has been ridiculous in the last few years. I would have given this company 5 stars back in the day, now I give it zero but I'm forced by this site to give it at least one. Consider it a charity star.

It doesn't matter what my advice to management is. They don't care. They really don't. If they did, they'd fix the issues that have been going on for years and only getting worse from what I hear. It's all over this site in so many reviews and most of the reviews state the same issues so you know if it's a theme across so many individuals, the issues are real. It says only 27% of the reviewers would recommend the company and I bet every single one of them do not work in IT or haven't worked in IT longer than 6 months so far.

Great potential, but ultimately it depends on who you know.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bend, WI

I worked at West Bend Mutual full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some really great, helpful, and caring people to work with.

Cons

Time off is not always allowed, work life balance not in existence, office is stressful.

Care more about those who do the actual work versus those that tell you what you want to hear. Consider reviewing the management team and cutting out those that only care about themselves.

An awful company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Developer in West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in West Bend, WI

I worked at West Bend Mutual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Competitive pay in the market they serve in (see corresponding con)
    2. Campus facilities
    3. Outside IT, work-life balance is not bad

Cons

1. Pay is good if you are working 40 hours but no-one in IT department (especially the people who have been involved in EDW/PAS area) have had a 40 hours work week in a long time. Employees are "forced" and coerced to work 50-60 hours on a regular basis; their vacation and leaves are being cancelled.
    2. Dictatorship in mid and senior management. It's their way or highway with absolutely no room for providing feedback. If you disagree with your immediate supervisor, you are quickly shown the door.
    3. Virtually no recogniztion for hard work and longer hours. Only brown nosers get promoted.
    4. Employees are treated like kids; forced to add "BEST PLACES TO WORK" signatures in their personal email accounts. Everybody knows the tactics they resort to get that "best places to work" award.

Have you seriously ever wondered why you are having such a difficult time in filling key positions in IT? Have you recently looked seriously at your IT employees morale? You are just beaming in your own fluffed up and disingenuous achievements. Have you wondered why you have such a high turn over?

Make sure you fully interview the manager and trust them for what they are telling you who they really are!

Former Employee - Loss Control Consultant
    Former Employee - Loss Control Consultant

I worked at West Bend Mutual full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is high. Bonus structure is exceptional, if you can get past the long hours and lack of compassion.

Cons

Managers want yes sirs and not employees who can work independently. All work must be submitted for review first.

Learn how to manage people, not drones.