West Chester University

West Chester University Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

former student and research assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proseducational, challenging, rewarding, thought-provoking, could have some improvement in service provision in registrar

Consi have not strong complaints, aside from difficulties with the registrar staff and their level of professionalism

Nepotism and racism on steroids

ProsSome very nice, competent people work there, the campus is beautiful, great health benefits

ConsInsufficient salaries, nepotism in hiring practices, racism unchecked and without remorse, senior management drunk with power and basing decisions on favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementPride comes before the fall and it's a long way down. Yours systems and mind sets need some SERIOUS updates to the 21st century.

Horrible execution of Diversity program

ProsFlexible hours, descent benefits, some nice people; nice faculty; not a high-pressure atmosphere

ConsMid to upper management poor, diversity seems to only apply to certain groups; the others impacted have no power to do anything about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so political; start treating ALL people fairly. Don't you feel any responsibility for the impact you have on the lives of ALL those working for you? Not sure which wrongs of the past you're trying to correct, but the way you treat people stinks!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run.... worst "company" evet

Anonymous (Current Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsBenifits... easy work... free tuition

ConsPoor union.... poor management... looking to outsoure all positions

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.... hire new management... hopefully qualified

Resident Assistant

Resident Assistant (Current Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsFree Room and Board
    Building Community on your floor
    Leadership Opportunities
    Great Resume Booster

ConsLots of behind the scene work such as bulletin boards, making socials - but even that isn't a con! Gotta love what you do!

Probably good if you're not an adjunct

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsNice students, decent pay for adjuncts

ConsAdjuncts' contributions not valued, also although WCU pays better than other places for adjuncts, you never get an increase no matter how many years you work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to pay attention to work environments within departments, specifically among adjuncts. Adjuncts are a source of very economical labor, and they have a lot of contact with students. Keeping them happy would be beneficial to everyone.

Resident Director

Pros1. Great Pay
    2. Lots of opportunities for professional growth

Cons1. Being on- call
    2. Living where you are working, hence lack of privacy

Advice to Senior Management1. organization culture needs to change. Lack of responsibility among different departments

After having been a student at WCU I was excited to return and contribute to the institution that provided my education.

Grant Development Specialist (Former Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsThe faculty with whom I worked were incredibly dedicated to their students.

ConsResearch was ineffectively promoted; few growth opportunities.

Friendly colleagues, bureaucratic administration, unfortunately.

Associate Professor (Former Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsFriendly colleagues and somewhat progressive thinkers regarding educational practices.

ConsVery bureaucratic! Not a good work/life balance for tenure-track faculty

Lack of leadership is the watch word

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) West Chester, PA

ProsGreat benefits. Fully unionized. Nice location in Chester County.

ConsParking is horrible. Salaries are way below market. Seriously top heavy with management. Managers have been there forever and have no new ideas. Management philosophy enables every person as a decision maker so there is no clear direction or leadership. Some departments are revolving doors due to inept and entrenched administrators.

Advice to Senior Management1980 wants their management philosophy back. Hire new people that are tapped into modern business practice and know how to manage people in a real world environment.

Worked for West Chester University? Contribute to the Community!