West Corporation

West Corporation Reviews in Huntsville, AL

Updated May 20, 2014

West Corporation CEO and Director Tom Barker

Tom Barker

Pros
  • For my position the option to work from home and my general career is great(in 13 reviews)

• working at west is ok if you needed a very flexible schedule and good benefits(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • I thought the negative reviews were typical call center complaints(in 15 reviews)

• Most upper management is lazy and their managers are either blind or just as allowing it(in 15 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at West has been a very rewarding experience.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsFriendly atmosphere; staff is very helpful.

ConsCalls can be challenging, but the reward of helping the callers is worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the systems work seamlessly.

Passes the time till you find something better

CCP (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsFlexible work schedule, pay better than minimum wage, potential for bonuses

ConsLots of requirements, compliance and weekly check-ups on what you are accomplishing.

Horrible

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsBeing able to trade shifts.

ConsRidiculous policies, strict dress code, extremely stupid coworkers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never Knew I'd Excel As A Call Center Agent (United Healthcare Line Group)

Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

Pros-Fast-paced back-to-back calls. therefore days at work fly by quick
    -Mind stays engaged constantly documenting and navigating several screens to achieve first call resolution
    -Great pay for sitting all day
    -A diversity of co-workers from different lifestyles to meet
    -Excellent paid training

Cons-Breaks are limited depending on how long you work per day (not a big issue. Just watch how much you drink so you don't have to pee all day)
    -For an 8 hour day you'll get roughly two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch
    -Easy to get fired since you have to fight a battle on four fronts: Average Call Handle Time, Quality, Customer Service, and Efficiency (time on the phone versus time clocked in).
    -Whether or not you keep the job depends on you always providing 100% correct information, 150% customer service (UES), meeting established call center metrics on a daily basis
    -Constantly changing job metrics will make those who can't adapt quickly not want to work here.
    -Depending on who's team you get assigned to, you'll either love or hate your job. I lucked out with a great supervisor.
    -Fast-paced job environment can prove unbearable and too stressful for the faint of heart

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a limit as to the amount of claims and members agents are allowed to handle per call.

An "ok" place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsSalary pretty good compared to similar positions at other companies.

ConsNot much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should treat employees more fairly when it comes to promotions--not just let them recommend their buddies for promotions.

Good people, but void in leadership.

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

Pros-Collaboration - emphasis on teamwork
    -Variety of work- each job has a variety of tasks and challenges
    -lateral movement within the company - if you are willing to move, lots of emphasis on taking a variety of positions within the business

Cons-Pay is relatively low
    -Benefits packages have been declining through the recession
    -Managers are over-promoted
    -Feedback and development are not emphasized

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be successful, you need to pick a strategy and work it. Quit riding the fence and choose a business to focus on.

truly a nightmare

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

Prosit's easy to get a job there, all you need is one year at a previous employer and a little customer service experience.

Consthere are too many ways to get fired, they hold your job over your head all the time, you cant use your time off when you want to, management acts like they are too good to help out, promotions are given only to those who suck up to other managers

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions should be given to those who truly deserve them, not to people who are friends. also, realize that people have lives outside of west and dont act like you're all that because you're a manager. Your job is at stake too.

It didn't seem like a real job

Telephone Agent (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsIt was a clean job. Nothing physical and a climate controled environment. The pay was acceptable and the people seemed pleasant for what little interaction we could have with each other.

ConsIt was like a three ring circus. No leadership no one knew anything that was going on. It was very stressfull as they would always change what we had to say on calls. The computer applications were slow and not very good. I came in late everyday because we had to park a mile away and then walk around for 10 minutes to find a place to work. When we found a place to work it took several minutes to bring everything up and clock in. They wanted you to bring up your programs and everything on your time off the clock. They say they have some kind of insurance and tuition reimbursement but no one could tell you how to get them. Again you would haqve to call the home office in Neb, to get benefits by mailing stuff back and forth on your own time. You had to do everything on your own time. The only thing the HR department did was hire people. They offered no direct deposit because of high turnover. They constantly had training classes going only to fire 3/4 of them. They got paid by clients for training so they encourage a high turnover because they make money that way. Their glitchy pc punch would cheat you out of hours as we have to clock out for restroom and everything. You sat in one spot for 8 hours without moving. You would put vacation time in the system and follow all procedures and it would never get approved or denied just kicked out of the system. When you quit they will not give you your vacation hours from the previous year. You can work all year long and see people but not know their names because there is no interaction. You just show up take calls and leave. You get threatened by discplinary action for everything because there are so many ways to fail. This was the worse job I have ever had and the most disorganized and unproffessional company I have ever worked for. And now they are wanting you to sell services to customers when they call in with problems. The bad part is when you get someone that wants the services you find that they are not available in their area.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell what can I say management has a real high turnover rate also. It seems like the entire company is run by some glitchy computer system. And of course no comunication because everything other than calls must be done on our own time including talks with management. But it seems like no one can actually do anything.

Using employees for company gain

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsEasy work, no physical labor just sitting in the same spot for 8 hours.

ConsCompany seems to use the employees for their own gain giving no cares whatsoever about employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually treat your employees like you care about them and not just say things and not follow through. Employees hear what you are telling them but feel like you are not following through with your commitments.

Worked for West Corporation? Contribute to the Community!