West Corporation

Updated Jun 17, 2014

West Corporation CEO and Director Tom Barker

Tom Barker

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was okay, great for college students

ProsOvertime
    Work-Life Balance
    Good Hours
    Flexible Hours
    Good Training

ConsPay was not that great
    Bonuses depends on customers behalf and it could not be your fault
    High Turnover
    No room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementI really don't have any advice for management; compensation could be better

easier than flipping burgers

CAE (Current Employee)
    Pensacola, FL

Proslaid back, higher than minimum wage, flexible

Constheres none at the moment

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Steady Job

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Pensacola, FL

ProsAbove average wage for the area

ConsSupervisors and Management only available to talk to you when they pin you. Not there to help you.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some employee help time not just pin time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nightmare

Pensacola, FL

ProsThe only reason anyone works there is for a pay check

Consno stability, a revolving door. demeaning managers. the only incentive they give you for meeting their numbers is being able to keep your job.

Advice to Senior Managementstop threatening people that you will fire them if their numbers get low. Instead give them real incentives like most normal companies.

Virtually create your own schedule and pay

Pensacola, FL

ProsI could pick up/drop hours in real time and that gave me a lot of flexibility to do anything I wanted. I was young and single and saving up for grad school so my relationship with West was perfect. I got plenty of overtime if I wanted it, plenty of downtime too (certain parts of the year were heavier than others). I was one of many so I got away with a lot of things that normal jobs wouldn't tolerate such as calling in at the last minute and leaving early without prior notice. I also wasn't forced to work directly with anyone so I worked at my own pace without having to worry about scheduled breaks and meetings.

ConsI put in a LOT of overtime and did my best to satisfy customers (i.e. I tried REALLY hard) but it seemed to go unappreciated by management. Not that I was looking for a raise or promotion, but I felt that the supervisors and even some team leads had pompous attitudes and treated customer service reps like lowly peasants. When my quality assurance scores were low I was written and given coaching, but after I brought my scores up and was in the top 5 scores (out of 100 reps) four weeks in a row, one certificate was put on the bulletin board in my honor. No one told me about it and my name was spelled wrong- I didn't know it was supposed to be mine for about 2 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your customer service reps with enough information to make them take ownership of their job. Make incentives be equally as great as punishments or your service reps will eventually feel under appreciated and give a lackluster performance.

Gave 55 year old a job

CAE (Current Employee)
    Pensacola, FL

ProsPay on time. No problems if you do your job as requested.

ConsLack of real time training. Need to do less play training while in class and teach job skills for real time. Role playing is a waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more answer my question time with employees.

CSR in Pensacola, FL

Pensacola, FL

ProsPlenty of hours and good assistance from SME's and Team Leaders. Fair pay and friendly co-workers. After a few months, rewards for good performance were distributed to the representatives.

ConsAt times, floor leaders and supervisors were a little too ready to "pin" when a pin was not the appropriate response. They were encouraged to behave in this manner by the company in order to accomplish certain goals that were not brought out into the open through company communications.
    For example, the dress code was not always fairly applied. This created a feeling of "fear" that was unwarranted and made the environment difficult to understand unecessarily.

Appropriate advancement opportunities were not available to those qualified as much as those who had the right inside connections. Some people who qualified for advancement opportunities would not accept them due to the requirements of the job.

English is the only language permitted on the floor in Pensacola because upper management and quality control do not understand any language other than English. As a Pensacola call center representative, I was threatened with disciplinary action if I used a language other than English on a call. Any indications that the Pensacola call center allows bilingual business communications for employees professional prepared to use another language is not true. The use of another language is restricted to a "chosen" few who appear to be chosen based on popularity and location rather than ability.

Asking the company where they conduct international business is frowned upon, ignored and kept secret. If you ask to many times there are people on the floor that will work to remove you through the use of pins. This conduct was permitted on the floor.

Many computers were not working. Work stations that did not work were not labeled as non-working stations on the floor. Once you sat at a non-working computer station it was difficult to move because there were few stations that worked well and if you moved without floor supervisor approval because your computer station was not working, you were subjected to discipline. You were, therefore, subjected to taking calls from customers while using non working equipment and you were not permitted to excuse yourself to the caller by stating that the equipment was failing. Many times the calls were escalated calls that were intolerable due to the anger of the caller and the rep was obligated to handle the call without the use of the tools on a computer.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the company would benefit from applying hiring policies that places employees who are ready, willing and able to perform professionally on the call center floor. This would make the initial training sessions one that would allow a new employee to focus on learning the requirements of the job, rather than how to cope with co-workers that require discipline. I was surprised to be included in a group of people who did not respect the fact that an employer was paying them to learn, but rather expected payment for blatant disrespect showing the employer they had no intentions of taking the presentations seriously from day one.

As an educator, I would not allow a new employee who required discipline in a pre-employment training session to continue to the work floor unless company policy dictated differently.

As an educator, I would consider it my responsibility to make sure that the training sessions prepared a new employee to handle their first call with knowledge and confidence. Instead the initial calls were received by many new employees with shock and an inability to understand how to proceed. Training is not appropriately utilized when this is the end result.

During training, how the course materials were used by each was left up to the discretion of the new employee and they had to fend for themselves if they wanted to take the training seriously. Employees who prefered to socialize, joke and distract others were well accepted as people that are well-liked and funny. While employees that wanted more information about the company and the job were ignored and promptly shut down.

Good for a stop gap between jobs or for a stepping stone, but don't expect a career.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Pensacola, FL

ProsDecent pay. Plenty of parking. Training was sufficient. Paid vacation, funeral leave and jury duty. Had a great system for picking up and posting time you wanted to give away or work extra. Lots of overtime available if wanted.

ConsCompany has a bad reputation for firing "everyone". Business model is not employee friendly. Turnover rate is extremely high. No advancement opportunities. Constantly shifting rules seemingly to accommodate firings as needed. Not clear or flexible on what employees are allowed to do on phones like transferring customers to department better equipped to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Better training and retention.

This was the most terrible job experience ever.

Customer Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Pensacola, FL

ProsA quick-hire desk job... $2.00/hr raise after 90 days... if you make it that far...a chance to get to know your co-workers briefly...

ConsSeemingly-mandatory write-ups on a weekly basis... Classes of 20+ held bi-weekly, most of your "classmates" are fired within the first few weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementShove it...

Slave ship decorated like a kindergarten classroom

Customer Care Associate (Former Employee)
    Pensacola, FL

ProsEasy to get hired, almost too easy, should have taken that as a warning.

Cons1. Pay was peanuts, and paychecks were either distributed in a Russian -breadline style fashion at specific times on Friday, or on a plastic card that they deducted a fee on.
    2. Benefits were worthless.
    3. Training was asinine and smacked of grade school drawing and coloring with half-dried crayola markers.
    4. Dress code was ridiculous and over-enforced for a bunch of slaves who were never seen by anyone anyway.
    5. Security was overwraught for a call center containing a bunch of scripted drones.
    6. No independent thought allowed, and don't expect to be treated like an intelligent adult, ever. So, turn your brain off.
    7. Unless you want to get harped on for bathroom visits because being human means needing to pee every so often, wear adult diapers.
    8. Way too many ridiculous rules that often contradict each other. You're not a person, you're a number.
    9. Corny, overdone scripting that does not sound natural coming from anyone.
    10. Dumb little sales "games" within groups for $5 Wally world gift cards, even if you qualify for it, if the walking blimp doesn't make it to your station to verify your sale, all you get is a shrug.
    11. Horrible scheduling where they can demand you stay after the end of your shift no matter what you have going on after work, and they can fire you if you refuse because you have a life or a child or just want to go home to your new kitten for heaven's sake!
    12. Having to endure unspeakable disrespect and verbal abuse from customers.
    13. Having to sell add-ons that aren't worth the paper they're printed on, lest they write you up, which they will anyway.
    14. On those lucky weeks when your sales rock, QA will conveniently forget to grade you, hence cheating you out of your bonuses since a good QA score is a mandatory part of the bonus structure.
    15. Breaks and lunches so short you have to shovel your food into you so fast that you return to the phones with atrocious indigestion and gas.
    16. Can't use your accrued vacation time when you need it, only when they say.
    17. Environment was tacky, unprofessional, and decorated like a kindergarten classroom.
    18. Computer system was slow and on the fritz almost daily, but we couldn't tell the customers that, even when they were stuck with us for the good part of an hour.
    19. Team leads and supervisors are very negative, condescending, and of no help to you professionally.
    20. Insanely high turnover and no support.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust wipe the whole slate and start over.

Worked for West Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at West Corporation reviews and ratings in Pensacola, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for West Corporation CEO Tom Barker. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by West Corporation employees.