West Corporation Reviews

• Reno, NV Area
2.1
West Corporation CEO and Director Tom Barker
Tom Barker

I worked here for six months...never again..

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

a paycheck and that is about it..

Cons

A 7 minute bathroom break for the whole day... really? Incompetent supervisors and management.. Working through my breaks and lunch... I just worked here long enough to find another job.

a better training class that actually trains you to be on the floor... Most people in my training class left in three months or less because the training was insufficient...

2. Terrible

Former Employee - Technical Support in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation

Pros

Great flexible schedule, which is nice.

Cons

No real management, which sucks.

Build a better team from within.

3. Pay isn't everything

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training was great, pay was great (at first) and the floor managers seemed cool when they came to visit.

Cons

As soon as you get into calls, thats where everything breaks down. They're systems are a mess, you can't find or do Anything. Everything takes soo much time to do while you have someone on the line with you explaining the issue, and they aren't nice about it ever. These are some of the meanest people ever, no contest. Its at this point where they pay isnt Nearly enough to put up with the hassle or BS that comes with being with this company.

Stream line your software. Don't track Everything everyone does and rate us based on this. We dont Always need to use all they systems. Work with the company that contracts you in order to clean up your Win95 like software, all 8 of them.

Stilted, lifeless environment

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overtime pay and potential for extra hours, tons of really decent people that you will find in the fray, ability to go a full month or more without having to even talk with a supervisor. This is a job where if you need money and you are good with meeting demands and keeping your head down you'll be more than fine.

Cons

Completely metric driven, to the point of being absurd. Pigeon-holing common-place with the better employees that stand-out too much. I had a supervisor actually tell me I was too smart to work there. I think she was serious.

Would work on creating an atmosphere that doesn't foster creation of terms like "westicide".

Hell

Former Employee - Production Team Leader in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Production Team Leader in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great. The IT staff was always there and willing to help

Cons

Company values there is NONE

7. Customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learning new skills and meet people

Cons

I need more hours. Bad management

Teach better

I did have a good experience with West it is a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Operations Team Supervisor in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Operations Team Supervisor in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training and follow-up for all employee's

Cons

need to set same standards for everyone.

Need to allow the supervisor's the same standards as an agent. Give them a chance to fix their mistakes as the do for the agents.

Hearding cats at a loonie bin...

Former Employee - Cust Serv Representative/Sales Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Cust Serv Representative/Sales Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Best reason? Well, as long as you're working there, you will get paid something.

Cons

Downsides... let me count here...

I worked at the Reno office, and I've looked over some of the reviews on here stating turnover rates at over 100%. When I left in September of '13, it was at 176% for sales, and around 146% for the tech side.

To start, here are a few things that come to mind as a negative for West...

I have had nearly every person in any sort of management position lie to me at one point or another. On my second month on the sales floor, I requested to move to the tech support side. (I have a lot of experience in both, but was lied to DURING THE INTERVIEW about "no jobs in the tech side". I was tired of the super high call volume, no downtime between, plus dealing with scammers trying to get free phones and other such things that mess with your numbers.) I was told, and I quote, "give me a really good February, and I'll do my best for you to get you to tech"... I sold 95 lines, 6 UVerses, with a 22% conversion. To anyone that works there, that's a hell of a month, especially for the shortest month of the year. Guess what he said after this great month? "Sorry, nothing I can do..."... AND, to add insult to injury, instead of the $2600 in bonus alone I should have gotten for that month... I received $800. Why? I was shown a grocery list of metrics that each one I was short on cut into that $2600. Great, huh?

The place was so stressful, with so called management AND the "fine" customer base that called in, I developed diagnosed high blood pressure. Now that I'm away from there, I can drop the meds, but it still runs higher than it ever did BEFORE going to work in that booby hatch.

If you smoke, don't bother going there either... You're there for a 8.5 hour day, in which you get a 30 minute unpaid lunch, and two, 10 minute breaks... you are also allowed a very generous SEVEN MINUTES of break time for... wait for it... GOING TO THE RESTROOM. I kid you not. You were allowed seven minutes TOTAL... as in for the entire 8.5 hours of work time, to use the bloody bathroom.

Another thing... there is no such thing as "ethics" there. I was told by management to lie to customers calling in. It didn't matter how outlandish the lie was, just lie to them. Most of the lying was in relation to things like quality of merchandise, speeds of internet on the phone service or UVerse, telling people "sorry, I don't have the software to help you with that issue, so let me get you to the correct department" because hell YES we had the software, but if we helped that customer, without including a sale in the call, that would hit the precious bottom line for that supervisor... great, huh?

I am 48 years old. I have been working since I was 14. This is, hands down, the absolute WORST work environment I've even been subjected to.

Advice to upper management? QUIT. Ninety nine plus percent of the management in ANY capacity there are worthless, and all need to be replaced with human beings with a management skill set.

10. A great place to learn new skills & abilities -- but limited ways to use them afterwards

Former Employee - Systems Technician in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Systems Technician in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good experiences with managers from multiple departments; opportunities for advancement were offered when I sought them. Partial reimbursement for some training and supplemental certifications which strengthened my future resume.

Cons

Pay was a little low for some of the jobs performed. I was able to get better pay after using the experience from West afterwards.

I can't believe this place is allowed to operate with their flagrant violations

Current Employee - Tech Support in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Reno, NV

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

plenty of overtime, and if you can last for longer than a year, most employers are impressed with your resilience.

Cons

Systems are outdated, sometimes nonfunctional, yet they still expect you to be able to do your job. Management urges people to stay clocked out until said systems are up and running (usually a 15 minute period) Last minute shift holds, pay is way below industry average, breaks are "monitored", in which you must sign out on a constantly-moving sheet, using your own break time to locate it before and after leaving for your break. If you go over 15 minutes in a day on bathroom break (mind you, these are 10-hour shifts) you are docked for an extra 30 minute lunch, which will take a month to be rectified. Sexual harassment is more rampant here than anywhere else i have ever worked. Constant shift changes done with no notice, in which people are not even informed of the changes, triggering termination for employees who are not "in the circle", which leads to the high-school mentality and sophomoric cliques. This company is a complete joke. TURNOVER TURNOVER TURNOVER.

Take a business ethics class. Treat your employees like human beings. Remember what it's like to be in their shoes, as most of you WERE in that position 3 months ago.