West Corporation

West Corporation Reviews in Reno, NV

Updated Jun 16, 2014

West Corporation CEO and Director Tom Barker

Tom Barker

Pros
  • For my position the option to work from home and my general career is great(in 13 reviews)

• working at west is ok if you needed a very flexible schedule and good benefits(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • I thought the negative reviews were typical call center complaints(in 15 reviews)

• Most upper management is lazy and their managers are either blind or just as allowing it(in 15 reviews)

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I did have a good experience with West it is a good company to work for.

Operations Team Supervisor (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsExcellent training and follow-up for all employee's

Consneed to set same standards for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to allow the supervisor's the same standards as an agent. Give them a chance to fix their mistakes as the do for the agents.

Hell

Production Team Leader (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsCoworkers were great. The IT staff was always there and willing to help

ConsCompany values there is NONE

Customer service rep

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsLearning new skills and meet people

ConsI need more hours. Bad management

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach better

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hearding cats at a loonie bin...

Cust Serv Representative/Sales Representative (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsBest reason? Well, as long as you're working there, you will get paid something.

ConsDownsides... let me count here...

I worked at the Reno office, and I've looked over some of the reviews on here stating turnover rates at over 100%. When I left in September of '13, it was at 176% for sales, and around 146% for the tech side.

To start, here are a few things that come to mind as a negative for West...

I have had nearly every person in any sort of management position lie to me at one point or another. On my second month on the sales floor, I requested to move to the tech support side. (I have a lot of experience in both, but was lied to DURING THE INTERVIEW about "no jobs in the tech side". I was tired of the super high call volume, no downtime between, plus dealing with scammers trying to get free phones and other such things that mess with your numbers.) I was told, and I quote, "give me a really good February, and I'll do my best for you to get you to tech"... I sold 95 lines, 6 UVerses, with a 22% conversion. To anyone that works there, that's a hell of a month, especially for the shortest month of the year. Guess what he said after this great month? "Sorry, nothing I can do..."... AND, to add insult to injury, instead of the $2600 in bonus alone I should have gotten for that month... I received $800. Why? I was shown a grocery list of metrics that each one I was short on cut into that $2600. Great, huh?

The place was so stressful, with so called management AND the "fine" customer base that called in, I developed diagnosed high blood pressure. Now that I'm away from there, I can drop the meds, but it still runs higher than it ever did BEFORE going to work in that booby hatch.

If you smoke, don't bother going there either... You're there for a 8.5 hour day, in which you get a 30 minute unpaid lunch, and two, 10 minute breaks... you are also allowed a very generous SEVEN MINUTES of break time for... wait for it... GOING TO THE RESTROOM. I kid you not. You were allowed seven minutes TOTAL... as in for the entire 8.5 hours of work time, to use the bloody bathroom.

Another thing... there is no such thing as "ethics" there. I was told by management to lie to customers calling in. It didn't matter how outlandish the lie was, just lie to them. Most of the lying was in relation to things like quality of merchandise, speeds of internet on the phone service or UVerse, telling people "sorry, I don't have the software to help you with that issue, so let me get you to the correct department" because hell YES we had the software, but if we helped that customer, without including a sale in the call, that would hit the precious bottom line for that supervisor... great, huh?

I am 48 years old. I have been working since I was 14. This is, hands down, the absolute WORST work environment I've even been subjected to.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to upper management? QUIT. Ninety nine plus percent of the management in ANY capacity there are worthless, and all need to be replaced with human beings with a management skill set.

A great place to learn new skills & abilities -- but limited ways to use them afterwards

Systems Technician (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsGood experiences with managers from multiple departments; opportunities for advancement were offered when I sought them. Partial reimbursement for some training and supplemental certifications which strengthened my future resume.

ConsPay was a little low for some of the jobs performed. I was able to get better pay after using the experience from West afterwards.

I can't believe this place is allowed to operate with their flagrant violations

Tech Support (Current Employee) Reno, NV

Prosplenty of overtime, and if you can last for longer than a year, most employers are impressed with your resilience.

ConsSystems are outdated, sometimes nonfunctional, yet they still expect you to be able to do your job. Management urges people to stay clocked out until said systems are up and running (usually a 15 minute period) Last minute shift holds, pay is way below industry average, breaks are "monitored", in which you must sign out on a constantly-moving sheet, using your own break time to locate it before and after leaving for your break. If you go over 15 minutes in a day on bathroom break (mind you, these are 10-hour shifts) you are docked for an extra 30 minute lunch, which will take a month to be rectified. Sexual harassment is more rampant here than anywhere else i have ever worked. Constant shift changes done with no notice, in which people are not even informed of the changes, triggering termination for employees who are not "in the circle", which leads to the high-school mentality and sophomoric cliques. This company is a complete joke. TURNOVER TURNOVER TURNOVER.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a business ethics class. Treat your employees like human beings. Remember what it's like to be in their shoes, as most of you WERE in that position 3 months ago.

Great Opportunity With a Great Co.

Custodian (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsFull Time, Close to Home

ConsSo Far, I am Very Satisfied

Decent

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsFun team dynamics. Flexible hours. Good management.

ConsTraining isn't extensive enough. Not much room for advancement or raises

Advancement is a total joke

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsYou get to help people with problems, thinking outside the box is often required because no amount of training will prepare you for actually taking calls

Cons$11.00 an hour is an insult. Back to back calls, then you have someone sitting at a computer monitoring breaks and lunches, you could be on the phones 4 or 5 hours if you adhere to these.

A subject matter expert (SME) position became available, I applied with a paper application and resume attached, more than two weeks later I get emails from all the supervisors congratulating the three promotions, among those emails was one thanking me for my interest and to apply again but I did not meet min qualifications. I wasn't the only one. No interview or anything. They had the people they were going to promote and put the position on the site only as a formality. I worked Fed Ex ground for over 5 years and every position I applied for I was interviewed for, even the ones where I was not even in the running.

Basically unless you are dating, sleeping with, or are related to the management (or are in with them like thieves) you don't get promoted.

OH, make commitments to call customers back to finish troubleshooting or to confirm you fixed the issue, and this is what you are met with... asking permission (sometimes from only one person) to call back, if you don't meet your commitments, west gets fined as att wants us to call customers back. But to west the person in que is way more important than the one you've been calling back nearly three weeks to get him a working phone. Yeah, they get paid by how many calls we can process every hour (called intervals). I am doing ok, but it is a struggle to even work my 8 scheduled hours, I have not worked a full 40 week in a month because even though I have bills to pay, it is that hard to actually go to work.

I won't go into the transfers from customer care either, just know the 6 weeks in class isn't close enough training, 12 weeks in class wouldn't prepare you for the floor. And the training systems don't interact like the live environment (a couple are understandably so, but c'mon, get telegence to work with clarify and geolink and all those at least.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more than 11 an hour first off, 13 training then 15 on floor and I wouldn't be so eager to leave early so much. Slow the que down, it makes no sense to work us non-stop back to back all day. I know we're paid to take calls, but two minutes between would make us happier and you wouldn't have so many irritated agents. Make promotions fair, interview everyone, stop the que from never going down!! 140+ callers waiting means we can't take care of them fairly when we are questioned as to why we're still on a call etc...

If you're desperate...try something else

Sales (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsIt's a job and it pays you money. Some of the people working there are pretty nice, but don't get attached because they probably won't be there tomorrow.

ConsThere's not enough room here to list all of the cons of working for this company! I was verbally abused on a daily basis by upper management and even told that maybe I should just quit my job and be a stay at home mom because I wasn't suitable for the working world (mind you I've been consistently employed my entire life since I was 16 years old and never treated like that). The working conditions are filthy and disgusting: there is one maybe two trashcans for every row of 10-12 desks; the trash may be emptied out but they leave the bags in for months (maybe even years); there are no seat covers in the bathrooms (they even offer you this luxury amenity in the dirtiest of gas station bathrooms); you must share your desk, keyboard, and headset with whatever disgusting employee decides to sit there; I developed a fungus on my hand (a few other co-workers had the same thing), a friend developed a staph infection, another co-worker developed an infection on her ears from the headset which caused them to bleed, and many complaints had to made to HR to even have them provide us with cleansing wipes. I have so much more to say, but I feel unclean just thinking about that place.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to AT&T: sack this company, they are the worst!

Worked for West Corporation? Contribute to the Community!