West Corporation

Updated November 18, 2014
2.5

West Corporation CEO and Director Tom Barker
Tom Barker

Pros
  • For my position the option to work from home and my general career is great (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, they really worked with me to find a training class that met my schedule (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Most upper management is lazy and their managers are either blind or just as allowing it (in 17 reviews)

• I thought the negative reviews were typical call center complaints (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

If you're going to work here, don't stay too long.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative AT&T NBO in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative AT&T NBO in Omaha, NE

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always hiring, flexible schedules, environment is relaxed, fairly laxed attendance, the location is secured, and can change up line groups to cut monotony

Cons

Promotions are few and far between, scary turnover rates, slave pay, negative reinforcement to middle management, and clients throw more work at you for the same incentives.

Look at the positive and strive to bring that out in middle management for the trickle effect. If you pay agents and middle management better your turnover wouldn't be so high.

Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in El Paso, TX

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Only reason to work here is the pay but even then is not worth all the stress management puts on you
    40 hrs a week

Cons

Management
    Pay
    Coworkers
    on the floor supervisors
    No advancement opportunities
    No values

Sell the business or go bankrupt, but really you need to take care of your employees, train your management to be leaders instead of just boss people around, and recognize a good employee when you have one.

A great place to start your career

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great advancement opportunities in a company with longevity. Fast paced culture and lots of new opportunities mean you will never get bored.

Cons

Change is a constant in this environment, so if you have difficulties adapting to change, this may not be a great place for you.

Ensure your scheduling policies are clear, and that new employees have a good understanding of all the career opportunities available.

Decent but incompetent.

Former Employee - Cust Serv Representative/Sales Representative in Universal City, TX

I worked at West Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and easy to get hired. Nice people at work but definitely a lot of under qualified people in management positions.

Cons

Not much value for the employee/company relationship. During training they give you a constant threat of termination if you have to miss one day even if you call in. Not alot of incentives for floor employees ie. Many other call centers have gyms and hour lunches while all they offer is 30 min lunches and 15 mins off of phones for sales. In my training class alone we started with 17 people and were down to 8 in a month. Also floor systems and efficiency is very lacking they use monitors and drives that you could get at goodwill for a dollar and in order to enter systems you have atleast 15 passwords.

Prescreen employees alot better to save money on quitting people. Use this money to reinvest in employee interest because countless studies show that happy employees are the most productful. With the 800 you save from one employee quitting after 2 weeks you could buy 4 used couches and buy books to set up a small library area for employees during breaks. Generate substantial benifit plans better than the crappy supplemental medical insurance you offer. This alone will attract more professional and mature employees. Cut all the constant hiring, you shouldn't ask new hires to pull their phones out and call people who need work right in front of an hr rep. It just depends on what type of people you want to be. A place with alot of unproductful employees o r a place with a few highly trained producful employees.

Stilted, lifeless environment

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overtime pay and potential for extra hours, tons of really decent people that you will find in the fray, ability to go a full month or more without having to even talk with a supervisor. This is a job where if you need money and you are good with meeting demands and keeping your head down you'll be more than fine.

Cons

Completely metric driven, to the point of being absurd. Pigeon-holing common-place with the better employees that stand-out too much. I had a supervisor actually tell me I was too smart to work there. I think she was serious.

Would work on creating an atmosphere that doesn't foster creation of terms like "westicide".

Cold upper management and work environment; office politics out of control

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Omaha, NE

I worked at West Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Peers at your level or one/two tiers higher generally are great to work with. Once above those, however, it gets bad.
    Ability to collaborate with other departments from reporting perspective.

Cons

Upper management always felt out of touch with the department, which is relatively small compared to others. Low morale, pay freezes, and at least one demotion = not an ideal working environment.

Gotta boost morale and make people want to work there. I found myself dreading going to work everyday.

West is the Devil

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Omaha, NE

I worked at West Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can (barely) pay my bills. Met some pretty cool people. Decent schedule adherence regulations

Cons

Most everything else. They work you to death, expect you to put your life on hold to do all the overtime imaginable. If your stats are even just the slightest bit subpar you get written up, no help to improve and redeem yourself and if you're written up too many times, you're out the door. Towards the end (because we sucked so bad, the contracted got pulled) management had no idea what was going on, rules and regulations were changing so fast you were almost never right and there was a constant air of tension on the floor.

If things are going under, stay on top of the ship.

Not very good

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Set your own schedule ever week

Cons

Everything besides schedule. This company is very bad

Provide a more knowledgable eadership team

ghetto

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at West Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

easy to get hired on.

Cons

they dont drug test, maybe thats changed but at the time they did notdrug test. maybe they should the people i worked with were at best ill reputations. lots of politics and favorites here

stop putting your buddies in upper mgmt. they should be hired for ability work ethic and knowledge not just because they are popular

Monotonous

I have been working at West Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

West entails many different businesses within. I work for AT&T technical support.

You are able to miss up to 10% of your schedule every two weeks. So you can call off a day of work every two weeks with ZERO consequences. Personally, I'm the type of person that doesn't really miss work anyway, but the security is nice to know you have it. You can also rack up paid time off pretty quickly, and overtime is a cinch to snag, too. Right before I left for vacation, I worked 144 hours in two weeks. Also, advancement is pretty easy and they promote within almost 100% of the time.

Cons

You will be sitting at a desk, staring at a computer, talking on a phone. It's not all so bad, and every conversation can be different. But it really does get monotonous, which is the main reason I couldn't work here anymore.

The management that Ive dealt with are usually very cocky people. They honestly think they're better than you. There are only a small handful of managers here that are nice people.