West Jefferson Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nancy Cassagne

ProsGreat medical benefits if you go to West Jeff

ConsNot everyone hired gets paid for there experience and education. You start at the bottom of the scale.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great community, antiquated business.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Marrero, LA

ProsWJMC brings a sense of family to the workplace. I work with a community that I feel connected to. This drives me to excel in my job role and continually seek ways to improve the organization.

ConsThe management structure is antiquated. Leadership gives me no confidence that they are taking the business in a positive direction. Constant change to our environment is poorly thought out, if at all. Patient care suffers greatly from incompetence.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is my opinion that the business is blind to industry best practices and lacks the ability to adapt to modern methodologies that keep us current and able to compete with other healthcare systems.

It's all the people that work at a hospital that determines the quality of the hospital-West Jeff is a quality hospital.

RN (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing at West Jefferson Medical Center is the people who work here, in all departments. There is less turnover here than other area hospitals, rarely, if ever, are agency nurses used. Patients get better care because almost everyone is very familiar with the hospital and the way it operates.

ConsI would like more CE available concerning critical care at the hospital. Doesn't everyone want higher salaries and better benefits?

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more ancillary positions in the critical care areas. To have an extra set of hands on the other side of the bed improves patient care and is more efficient!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work But You Might Outgrow It If Your Ambitious"

Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) Marrero, LA

ProsThe hospital has very nice staff and they were a pleasant to work with. The nurses were fantastic and the patients represented come from various social and economic backgrounds. However, I felt the doctors were a bit mediocre though the residents were quite good. If you a re a junior person, such as a nurse aide, lab tech, pharmacy tech, there is room for growth if you do an excellent job. I would highly recommend working at West Jeff while in nursing or allied health school. You will get excellent experience and encouragement from the staff.

ConsYou will need to push yourself to succeed. Sometimes your co-workers will call in sick and if you're a hard worker, you'll find yourself constantly called in to work for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay for junior staff and nurses; create more incentive programs for tuition reimbursement. Recruit more residents from top programs such as Baylor and Tulane.

Incompetent Upper Management, Out of Touch with the Rest of the Hospital

Staff RN (Former Employee) Marrero, LA

ProsGreat coworkers
    Middle management is great, but upper management ties their hands
    Not picky about personal emergencies, tardiness
    Doctors, for the most part, are very nice

ConsUpper management leaves much to be desired, and aren't as impressive as they would have you believe
    Cafeteria is run by Sodexo and is the worst hospital food in the city
    Staffing is according to a grid and not to patient acuity
    Inappropriate patients assigned to inappropriate areas where the nurses have no idea how to take care of them
    Set schedules with random employees being scheduled for 60 or more hours a week without their consent and told to "suck it up"
    Orientation is a complete waste of time with 2 weeks classroom time for nursing which has nothing to do with anything you really need to know, and this is before you are placed with your preceptor.
    Middle management expected to not only manage their unit but to serve as a floor nurse, also, on a regular basis.
    There is no respect for the individual having a life outside of their employment at WJMC
    Even though WJMC is a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery, the hospital's insurance (Gilsbar, which is determined by the hospital) refuses to pay for employees to have bariatric surgery regardless of medical exception. But if you work for EJGH and have Gilsbar, you can come to WJMC and have this surgery completely without out of pocket expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your offices every now and then and get to know your employees.
    Get rid of Sodexo in the cafeteria--the food is horrible.
    Get rid of staffing grids.
    Know that, while this is about not losing money, the bottom line is caring for people. If it is not, then you need to change your sign that says "it's about family".

Better than most hospitals I worked for in New Orleans area

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Marrero, LA

ProsFellow employees kind and caring.

ConsMy supervisor on Pediatrics 7-9 yrs ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider nurse/patient ratios and need for sufficient clerks and CNAs on night shift!

Very political atmosphere.

Employee (Former Employee) Marrero, LA

ProsThe hours were good. Cafeteria food is good.

ConsMust be in the clique to progress. VP level is all politics and it funnels down the organization creating hostility and confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with respect and focus on business, the customer! Not your friends.

Great co workers. Terrible management.

Staff RN (Current Employee) Marrero, LA

Prosa good majority of the nurses and some of the doctors are genuinely interested in seeing you grow and develop as a nurse. Great place to make lifelong friends.

ConsIt's a good thing most of the nurses and some of the doctors are really dedicated to their patients because all management is worriede about is $$$.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like they're people. When your employees are happy in their work environment, they pass that along to their patients. It's very hard to remian caring when you feel like management is constanly looking to stab you in the back and close you out of all decision making. The constant barrage of negativity from management is so very tiring.

Worked for West Jefferson Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!