West Marine

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014

West Marine President & CEO Matthew Hyde
Matthew Hyde

Pros
  • The best reason to work here is the short commute if you live in Santa Cruz, and the Employee discount (in 16 reviews)

• Really none associate discount about the same as shopping around online (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect low pay, low hours, no benefits and high expectations (in 7 reviews)

• It is as though they do everything to keep many from achieving a full time status (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

manager

I have been working at West Marine

Pros

great discounts and work environment.

Cons

Pay a bit low to start

Confederacy of dunces

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at West Marine full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally friendly and well-meaning employees, good location (counter commute), good employee boating and discount program. Not a demanding workplace.

Cons

Management is clueless. We have an unfortunate mix of really mediocre managers from the early days who have held on and newly recruited managers who don't understand the business. We are frugal to the point of being stupid, and because of a decade of mismanagement in IT, we are going to be completely irrelevant to Amazon in a few years.

Take the company private so we don't constantly chase short-term earnings instead of investing in the company's employees and infrastructure. Fire the entire IT dept and outsource this mess,

Fun job if you like boats.

I have been working at West Marine

Pros

You get a 2 hour lunch break and get paid 10 dollars an hour.

Cons

Some of the managers are mean

Doesn't get IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at West Marine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are good people working at West Marine. Socially enjoyable, and culturally positive. Benefits are not bad. Reverse commute or short commute or most employees.

Cons

Antiquated IT infrastructure, poor IT management practices, lip-service to work/life balance. Location is not great, pay is below industry standard. No promotion prospects.

Management doesn't know how to do IT; what is important, what is not, and why. IT is always in fire-fighting mode and how to get on track and up to industry standards.

OK if you are into boating.

Former Employee - Aquatunist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Aquatunist in Miami, FL

I worked at West Marine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employee discounts on most merchandise, Generous Paid Time Off plan.On line training available offers good information on products and marine equipment. Best place to work IF you own a boat and do NOT need a real job to support a family. Also better than having no job. Pay is slightly above minimum wage.

Cons

If you are not an avid boater there is nothing that makes this a preferred employer unless you live a block away from the store or depend on Metro rail for transportation. Crazy work schedule required in businesses that open 12 hour 7 days a week. No human comfort for employees during brakes. Fridge, microwave and coffee maker provided but you may need to eat lunch standing up. Possible to get promoted to "Key Holder" or team leader which there is referred to "Assistant Manager", just need to ask. Many managers know more about bait than leading people.

Do not bother.

It was very long hrs and easy wk stand up all day

Former Employee - Picker/Packer/Quality in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Picker/Packer/Quality in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at West Marine full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work here was that we had Fridayand the weekend off

Cons

The challenges was that we had to wk from 3am until done that's means we didnt get out I wk until 10-11 clock at night that's was a challenge

The advice I shares with upper management was how we can do our job and not be so stressful and get the product out in a timely manner

The company emphasizes customer service and product knowledge. Great products and value to customers

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Falmouth, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Falmouth, MA

I have been working at West Marine part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun place to work, especially if you are into boating or fishing. Great training available on products.

Decent discounts on merchandise

Cons

Seasonal employment only, low pay. In the five years I have worked there, pay increases almost nil.

Skeleton crews in the off season mean little to no hours for part time employees. This also results in over burdened managers with inadequate staffing at times. If the company values it's employees, even a small increase in payroll during off season would make a big difference work/life balance. Also, because product knowledge needed for this business is so extensive, keeping a trained staff would be better for the customers instead of a revolving door situation seasonally.

West Marine has it's best days behind them.

I worked at West Marine part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good discounts on products. Good benefits if you can get them. Usually only management get benefits.

Cons

West Marine used to be a different company to work for. In the last few years, the company has taken a sharp downward turn. They are consumed with profit to the detriment to all employees. Sales plummet while they count nickles from their cost cutting measures. The biggest change has been in the disposable workforce. Expect low pay, low hours, no benefits and high expectations.

The "YES" man network of managers is killing your business. There is definitely a good old boy network in the management structure. Stop keeping and promoting bad managers at all levels. Your prices are too high and your store stock levels are terrible. Product quality is lacking. No one wants West Marine knock-offs of name brand products.

Unappreciative managers and upper staff.Ok place to work but not for long term more like a prison.

Former Employee - Port Supply in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - Port Supply in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at West Marine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount. Decent hours decent benefits and enjoying working with boats and boat parts

Cons

Overworking their employees for an embarrassing pay grade.benefits sounds good at first but once enrolled they hit you with restrictions and problems actually using the health benefits. No promotion structure in port supply.store associates are promoted and given raises while port supply hub assistants do all the same work as the manager but none of the perks such as raises our even being told you are doing a good job.most people worked with don't have children and there for don't understand the needs of a working mom or dad and their desire to support their families.

Tell your employees when they are doing a good job don't just hit them with what they did wrong.promote appropriately with in organization and show appreciation when deserved.Be more understanding about family issues.stop being so greedy and only focused on filling the CEO's pocket.

To many changes in upper Mgmt.

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at West Marine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and had good work hours.

Cons

It was a seasonal business that had hourly associates in a panic for their hours out of boating season. No training on products that are marketed.

Demand and offer better training from and for your Operations Mgrs. Then there is a better chance that knowledge will filter down in the ranks..

West Marine Photos