West Marine Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
111 reviews filtered by

1. Invest in the workers who have shown their skills

I have been working at West Marine

Pros

Great coworkers, easy to ask questions, managers are lenient, and easy PTO approvals

Cons

Working as a temp is difficult, they keep you longer than agreed, but offer no permanent position. The projects get smaller and less intellectual giving you a lot of free time on your hands. The pay is pretty low for the amount of work your given.

2. Good, well-meaning CEO but not a place to be if you want career growth.

Current Employee - Director in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at West Marine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New CEO is making good changes in company direction, Work life balance is good depending on your direct Supervisor.

Cons

Lots of talk about Leadership but overall still very low on Trust and Accountability

Advice to Management

Losing all the A players to Silicon Valley due to compensation package and lack of attention to career growth for Directors.

3. positive- fast paced and a good environment. great job for entry level position and to move up

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at West Marine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

get to wear lots of hats- work with a lot of departments and people. teaches you a lot in the business world

Cons

training can be redundant and not beneficial you have to pave your own ways to do a lot of tasks and every CM is very different

5. Fun environment nice people allot of work little pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at West Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun friendly environment allot of opportunities

Cons

Hard work little pay poor training poor hiring skills

Advice to Management

6. West Marine, great company, going through some growing pains.

I have been working at West Marine

Pros

Great benefits, flexible scheduling, nice customers, promotes from within, casual dress, indoors and climate controlled, awesome associate discounts! Great mentors and training programs.

Cons

Going through some growing pains right now, job descriptions shifting week to week, asking folks to perform tasks that are beyond their skill set and not at all what they were hired and trained for.

Advice to Management

Nail down, in writing, the expectations of job positions, in some sort of official manner so they don't tend to shift from store to store, district to district, and region to region.

7. Yucky licorice candy rewards

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at West Marine

Pros

Associate discount, and not much else at all..oh yea, free licorice and other unhealthy treats on occasion.

Cons

Lousy staffing, never enough employees, running around like a chicken with its head cut off, answering phone, running register, trying to complete a sale, receiving truck supply, all at same time...all while barely being paid minimum wage

Advice to Management

Get your butts off the golf course and in the stores, Watsonville!

8. Good place to get started in the retail and boating workforce.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager II in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager II in Tigard, OR

I worked at West Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-My store manager (Jay) was arguably the best manager I've ever worked for.
    -Flexible hours.
    -Low pressure environment.
    -Plenty of opportunity to grow in product knowledge and training.
    -Clean store.

Cons

-Upper management had no clue how to deal with a smaller sized retail store. This became apparent to me after working there for one month and I was only part way through college at the time.
    - Upper management cared more about the bottom line sales for each month, rather than fostering a relationship with the customer.

Advice to Management

-Know your target demographic. They pushed in all sorts of useless inventory that we were never going to be able to sell and then we couldn't get rid of it. For example, we had tons of overpriced, low quality fishing gear and less than half a mile away was a store called Fisherman's that was full of fishing gear and competitively priced. The store should have catered to the Lake Oswego crowd people that went out on the Willamette. Not offshore fishermen.
    -The regional manager would come in and pick on some of the dumbest things like how some price tags were fading from dark yellow to light yellow, while ignoring everything I just mentioned from above. Trust your middle management and don't micro manage them, whats the point of their job if you are just going to override all of their decisions you don't like and take credit for the good ones they make.

Everything here has to do with the management of the small store I was at. I cannot speak to the environment of a flagship store like he Portland or Seattle locations.

9. Lacking employee respect

I have been working at West Marine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get a great discount on purchases

Cons

Not at all in touch with the cost of living for employees. I'm a manager and have not received a raise in 6 years, not even a cost of living increase.

Advice to Management

Go out and actually work in a store rather than make your short inspections, you'll be surprised at how little most of your employees actually know. The employee training is a bit of a joke. You may actually find out what your customers want too.

10. Great job for a person who enjoys boating

I have been working at West Marine

Pros

Great computer modules available to enhance your understanding of products and processes. Enjoy the local sailing scene and it is great to network while working.

Cons

Because it is a retail environment, sometimes there is a disconnect between how the top level executives view things and how things are in reality.

Advice to Management

Visit the stores more often for longer periods of time instead of rushing through a planned visit. Might be surprised at how different things are.

11. Sales Assc Role Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at West Marine

Pros

It's a good place to start. They pay well and give people an opportunity to take what they know and expand on it. It can get a little tedious, but it helps to have a passion for the water

Cons

There were not a lot of employees, and some people had to find other posts when the season slowed down. I suppose that's to be expected

West Marine Photos