West Marine Reviews

Reset

1. Horrible Management Caused Me to Quit

Former Employee - Store Associate in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Smyrna, GA

I worked at West Marine part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- customers were usually in good spirits - employee discount was generous - interesting co-workers - benefits are good for retail position - work was easy

Cons

General management at my store was horrible. Tasks were not prioritized, time management was abysmal, and there was a lot of hypocrisy. For instance, I was told about the importance of checking the "book" to see what tasks need to be completed by each person, but the book wouldn't be filled out until a few hours into my shift. I was hired with the expectation that I was going to move into a keyholder position rather soon, but instead I was told to focus on maintaining the tiny clothing department and cleaning the store when I wasn't working the register. I ended up leaving over the continued frustration at having to work under such incompetence. Also, being a small store we rarely had the items that people were looking for, which could get frustrating to have to repeatedly tell customers we didn't have what they wanted. Otherwise it was a regular retail floor job, and not a bad one at the that. hourly pay was incredibly low but the employee benefits, even for part-timers, was pretty good and the job wasn't too demanding.

Advice to Management

get a better management structure in place, also try stocking smaller stores better and maybe update the old 80s inventory system

Fun environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at West Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing business - young/young acting/adventurous fun people - look forward to going to work - the future will be great at West Marine

Cons

As with all companies there are growing pains. Pay isn't in line with the cost of living in California which causes hardships. The advancement opportunity is limited as you have to follow a certain path even if you are already overqualified for the positions.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people for entry level positions if they have enough experience to be management. If you do, develop an outline for their growth so that they are not discouraged.

3. I enjoy working at West Marine

I have been working at West Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best hours of operation especially for a retailer, good amount of time off and upper management understanding of time off needs. Good co-workers to help out if needed,

Cons

Still behind as far as Omni-Channel goes and lacks support. For example help desk short handed along with store operations.

Advice to Management

Follow through on conversations especially regarding pay to avoid un-happy workers and appreciate what you have.

Sales Associate

Pros

Great product discount for employees, especially if you are a boater.

Cons

Management at the corporate level is terrible. They are moving away form a boating store and are now trying to compete with the likes of REI, Backcountry.com, moosejaw.com, ect. as an all around outdoor supplier. At the store level, customers would have to order most boating items from the warehouse because the store had changed inventory to soft goods.

Advice to Management

Stick to what has got the company this far. There is tremendous store loyalty, however I witnessed many customers moving to boating exclusive online stores because of a better selection of boating specific products.

6. sales associate

Pros

good hours, good managers, good pay

Cons

lots of down time, payroll messes up sometimes

7. Sales associate

Pros

Great discounts on boating stuff and partner products

Cons

Low pay but good part time job in college

Advice to Management

None

8. IT Dept Highly disorganized

I worked at West Marine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IT only review - There is a mix of employees, but the common thread is that these are the people that don't want to commute. That gives a mixed result of productivity ambition, and common goal. They pay slightly higher than most of central coast employers (but not great, comparative to Silicon Valley) In house IT is not common in central coast, and so the talent pool is limited. Most folks are trained on the job, or thrown in to positions to sink or swim.

Cons

Morale has been an issue for years. Management has had different faces, from CIO on down but the consistent has been a regime of "more with less". Less staff, less money, less training. Very frustrating place to work.

9. Great part-time job for the active boater!

Current Employee - "Temporary/Seasonal Associate"
    Current Employee - "Temporary/Seasonal Associate"

I have been working at West Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive customer-focused work environment Good training Fun workplace Great atmosphere Awesome customers

Cons

Low pay/no raises Limited opportunities for advancement Improper classification as "temporary/seasonal" employee againat policy

Advice to Management

Focus more on keeping costs down and associates happy. Stop relying upon the flawed theory that customers don't pay attention to price when they're getting better than expected sefvice.

Inventory Manager

Former Employee - Inventory Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Inventory Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at West Marine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, gives a good balance of work and time off.

Cons

Associates and Management have difficulties accepting change due to tenure.

Advice to Management

Drive change with collaboration make it the associates idea.

11. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at West Marine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome job if you are a manager.

Cons

A lot of changes all of the time. It depends where you work and who you work for.

RSS Feed </> Embed