West Marine Reviews

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014

West Marine President & CEO Matthew Hyde
Matthew Hyde

Pros
  • The best reason to work here is the short commute if you live in Santa Cruz, and the Employee discount (in 16 reviews)

• Really none associate discount about the same as shopping around online (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect low pay, low hours, no benefits and high expectations (in 7 reviews)

• It is as though they do everything to keep many from achieving a full time status (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The best and worst years of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

I worked at West Marine full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I spent many years at West Marine and did so because of the company values and especially because of the people. What started as a lark, part time to pay for my boating habit (great associate discount) became a career. I gave as good as I got - the company treated me well, valued my work and made me feel part of a bigger plan.

Cons

Then the leadership changed, and changed again and then leaders left other leaders in play that shouldn't be leaders and so on. It appears that the they have lost their way, leadership is out of touch with what's really going on and the goals and strategic direction are not aligned or worse yet, not effectively communicated.

Figure out who you want to be. The associates at this company bleed blue, and I think that leadership over the years has tended to forget it. Remember what it is that makes the company great - it is the people at all levels of the enterprise.

No good pay or movement.

Former Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at West Marine part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice employee discount. I've met lots of people to network w/. Laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Horrible pay. My pay was $8 when hired and went up 16 cents a year later and never went up the two years I worked there. There was always drama and no way to advance. Also the store is dead durning winter and spring so it gets boring.

Schedule better and have better communication

Profoundly dysfunctional company

I have been working at West Marine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy watersports and boating, the perks are outstanding. Rank and file employees are a great bunch of passionate, fun-loving people.

Cons

The management of the company is filled with 'bosses' - but very few leaders. Cross-functional communication is dismal - half the time the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and associates are left confused and without direction.

Develop LEADERS - not tyrants. Implement review processes that include associates giving performance reviews for their managers. Perhaps that would open senior management's eyes to the reality that many managers and directors are hindering rather than furthering the company's growth strategies.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at West Marine part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met new people, liked the field

Cons

mismanagement, theft, overexpecting, low pay, no benefits

Offer incentives to the minimum wage emplyees

Ok

Former Employee - Cashier in West Babylon, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in West Babylon, NY

I worked at West Marine part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like boating its fun

Cons

cant think of any cons

.......

West Marine gathers a fun group of employees, a great work community.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at West Marine full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee discounts! Awesome crew!

Cons

Pay is not the best unless you're some type of manager.

Make sure at each location there is good qualified people who will take time not because they have to but because they want to train new employees thoroughly and properly. I got trained the basics but had to learn the hard parts when i happened to stumble upon them with a customer and looked like i didnt know what i was doing...thats because no one trained me on it!

AM Review

I have been working at West Marine

Pros

Great place to work if you love boats, being around boaters, and talking boats. Good benefits for full timers, and higher than average pay for a retailer.

Cons

Heavy product knowledge required, reatil hours (no weekends off), locations are generally near the beach and saleries are not in line to live near work.

Great summer job while in college

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Port Washington, NY

I worked at West Marine part-time (more than an year)

Pros

relaxed atmosphere, great employee discount,

Cons

Inconsistent work schedule, weekend shifts

Financial rewards limited by seasonal business pattern and aging-out of customer base.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at West Marine full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High degree of autonomy. Hiring/training/working with young people. Employee discount. Relatively low stress and off-hours demands. Passion for the category among managers and Associates. About 10% of store managers turn over each year, so there is always opportunity to move up if you're willing to work hard and (usually) relocate. Great job for high school and college students, retirees with boats, people who don't need full income/benefits (second job, working spouse, semi-retired, etc). Strong customer-centric culture.

Cons

In all but a dozen of the 250+ stores, only one person per store is salaried (Store/General Manager). Everyone else is <40hrs/wk. Even Assistant Manager cannot get year round 40hr/wk income in majority of stores (AM about 30hrs/wk). Most Associates average <20hrs/week.

Need more focus. Current plan is to "grow core and expansion categories". That is corporate-speak for "everything is important", which everyone knows means there really is no focus. IMHO, West Marine has two options to survive. First, to become the "Orvis" of specialty boating products. That is, lots of high-end lifestyle products (clothing, home décor, luggage) but very little "core" product (boat soap, paint, engine oil, electronics). Sadly, so far lifestyle products are more Old Navy than Orvis. Second, to become the "Cabelas" or "BassPro" of boating. That is, about 100, mega size stores (+100M sqft) that sell a range of year round "Your Life Outdoors" products (as opposed to seasonal "Your Life on the Water" products), Either strategy will require a large investment in advertising as both mean attracting an entirely new customer base (PS... current team looks at advertising... like presence at national boat shows... as an expense to be controlled rather than an investment for the future). Otherwise, company will slowly go out of business since current boat owners are aging-out and minorities and younger families are not entering at a fast enough pace.

OK to work here

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at West Marine full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good people to work with and a stable place to be. Seems like people who work here stay for a long time. Great associate discount.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunites to grow and propser. Pay is low. While the discount is great it's not really good enough to offset the low pay.

Work on getting the company to make money so all can be rewarded

West Marine Photos