West Monroe Partners

Updated October 6, 2014
3.7

West Monroe Partners Chief Executive Officer Dean Fischer
Dean Fischer

Pros
  • West Monroe has a great company culture; (in 5 reviews)

• This is consulting, so it's not a 9-5 job, but the work/life balance here is pretty legit (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not always in balance (in 5 reviews)

• There is a small inner circle that decides who is in and who is out (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Best culture and people you'll find anywhere.

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Career development plan, mentoring, high-growth environment. They put a lot of emphasis on taking control of your career and making sure you are happy and feeling successful. Great social events and groups within the company for pretty much any interest or hobby.

Cons

Lower pay than industry, quickly changing and growing company makes for a possibly unstable environment.

Don't sell ESOP, 401k matching to new hires then let them know during training that they won't get them for the first six months they work there.

Employee-owned business makes for a very rewarding career

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture at West Monroe is amazing. Not only from a social standpoint, but also from a professional standpoint.

Cons

No cons to working at West Monroe!

The best consulting gig for college grads

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love it here. The work is widely varied across industries and skillsets but almost always challenging and complex. I've gained more exposure in three years than I would have in ten years positioned at an industry job. We have a strong tradition of giving new consultants way more responsibility than they're qualified for, and most of us rise to those expectations and grow rapidly as a result. I am already considered the "WMP expert" for a particular type of project and I don't think many college graduates can claim that after just three years. This was not a result of my hard work or ingenuity; WMP provided the opportunity and I simply rose to meet it. In addition to providing such opportunities, WMP also puts you alongside some of the brightest consultants that I've encountered and there's a strong sense of team work and collaboration. I've heard horror stories from other companies whereby experienced employees will safeguard and hoard their knowledge because they don't want newhires easily learning what took them years to figure out. I have literally never heard of this kind of thing occurring at WMP; knowledge is constantly being shared via training sessions, blog posts, lunch'n'learns, coach/career advisor relationships, our intranet site, team meetings, I could go on and on. If you learn something cool and want to disseminate it to the rest of the company, it is very much encouraged and there are multiple outlets to do so.

Coming out of college, this place is especially great. You start with a big class of newhires aka your "start class." Our start class this year was 59 kids and it grows significantly every year. These annual waves of start classes have a few benefits:

1. You start a full week of training alongside 60+ new friends. Start classes are always a tight knit group, even as the years progress. If you don't imagine yourself socializing with co-workers outside of work, then you won't like it here. Outlook and Lync are used for coordinating dinners and happy hours just as often as client status meetings.
    2. The company culture stays young. When an office of ~400 brings in such a big start class, it's a big injection of college culture. Our office keg is replaced on a weekly basis at this point.
    3. When a big flood of new consultants come in, it pushes everyone up the career model. With the consultant roles being filled by new hires, almost all of our hires from the previous start class are promoted to Experienced Consultant. Raises and promotions are constant here and it's largely due to the big influx of college graduates every year.

This is consulting, so it's not a 9-5 job, but the work/life balance here is pretty legit. Over the last 15 months I worked an average of 47.8 hours per week INCLUDING all travel time (taxis/planes/cars/etc) so it's probably about 42 hours per week of work on average. I've traveled about 30% of the time here and that's been perfect for me. You start with four weeks of time off and I've never been denied a PTO request even when it was during critical parts of my project. Our work from home policy is that we have no policy, you can work from home whenever you need to (even if you're simply hungover). I consider myself pretty fortunate, though. I have friends in my start class who travel more and work significantly more hours than I do. But when you enjoy the work that you're doing and the people that you're with, the long hours aren't so terrible.

Cons

WMP consistently underpays its consultants. I've always made between $5-$10k less than I thought I was worth. The new ESOP program and the annual bonus help close that gap, but I still feel that I'm not being adequately compensated. We demand the "best and brightest" and we pay for the "good enough." I've looked at other consulting gigs which have offered me significantly more money, but at the end of the day I would have to sacrifice too much company culture and work/life balance to make it worth it. The happiness that I get from this job is worth more than the $15-$20k extra I could get elsewhere.

This is more nitpicky, but we use a performance management tool and force everyone to create goals for themselves at the beginning of each year AND at the beginning of each project and then write reviews of those goals at then end of each year/project. I can appreciate the need for setting goals and reviewing performance as it relates to those goals, but the tool we use (Halogen) is extremely cumbersome and is universally hated by all Consultants. You don't have to write goals or reviews very often, but when you do, you will hate your life.

Consultant-level employees generally feel underpaid. We all love working at WMP too much to leave, but a small additional investment in compensation would attract better talent.

Focus on keeping the company culture so great as we grow past 500 employees.

Good promise for the long run - still in infancy stage

I worked at West Monroe Partners

Pros

You can be part of a growing company, if you have the patience (> 5 years).
    Good fun culture for professionals in their 20s

Cons

Not a grown up company - senior professionals feel out of place.

Think about retaining your senior professionals and not only the junior ones

Immense growth opportunity, learning environment and career building move

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are very few consulting firms that are able to deliver consistent, transformative value to clients while maintaining a strong internal company culture and growth environment. Having offers from West Monroe as well as two other name-brand consulting firms, making the decision to join a smaller firm was a difficult one. However, if you are driven, keen to learn fast, and value the ability to make an impact on your firm from day 1, West Monroe is the obvious choice.

Cons

Your accomplishments, as well as your mistakes, travel like wildfire in an environment where you know a large percentage of the firm personally. As a result, it can be difficult to bounce back from mistakes that otherwise may slip under the radar at larger firms.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Experienced Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Experienced Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at West Monroe Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

West Monroe has a great company culture;
    West Monroe provides a wonderful working environment;
    West Monroe focuses on employee's self development;

Cons

Needs to do a better leverage the deep knowledge within the industry in order to create new and exciting solution offering.

Challenging, entrepreneurial, exciting.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at West Monroe Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

These guys will give you as much as you show competence in achieving. You can wear the hats you show aptitude in wearing and nobody will say no. You'll get promoted as fast as you deserve.

Cons

Swimming with the sharks. There is low tolerance for slow growers. Work fast, learn fast, and don't expect a helping hand beyond what is fairly minimal.

Spend more time in training and development.

data analyst

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at West Monroe Partners part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great professional environment, free lunches,

Cons

no sense of growth, micro managed

Experienced Consultant

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time

Pros

Interesting work, smart people, good work-life balance

Cons

lower pay than industry average

Great people, fun office, but one is "voluntold" a lot

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at West Monroe Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at WMP are fun to work with and are generally a group of outgoing, upbeat people. It is a tight community, and a lot of the people go out for drinks or meals on a regular basis. The opportunity to work for large customers (Fortune 500) is there and the opportunity to get a lot of responsibility in projects is there also (due to their small size).

Cons

The environment feels "fratty" or "cliquey" - the groups to hang out with are set. The environment in the office is political and one must be seen and heard by certain people to be in good standing. Some project decisions are made without fully considering the consequences, leading to significant rework. There is very little choice of projects for consultant level resources.

Ask consultant level resources what they'd like to do more, and implement those changes in a timely fashion.

West Monroe Partners Photos