West Monroe Partners

Updated November 20, 2014
3.7

West Monroe Partners Chief Executive Officer Dean Fischer
Dean Fischer

Pros
  • West Monroe has a great company culture; (in 5 reviews)

• This creates a lot of competition and helps us attract great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not always in balance (in 5 reviews)

• There is a small inner circle that decides who is in and who is out (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company to work for!

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great office culture - values state that they are a people-first company and this is definitely true. Everyone is genuinely great people to work with and the work is interesting and exciting as well. Working with clients creates a camaraderie with your colleagues - even if client work is challenging at times, at least you're not in alone.

Cons

Often, you'll get thrown into something that you may not have experience with or totally enjoy at first, but people will help you get through it and do something different next time. Sometimes, it can be hard to find resources you need or references, so it's about who you know that can help provide this to you.

Great Place to Work - Fun Place to Be!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has truly been a wonderful place to work. From the first day I joined in 2013, I have felt welcomed and involved. Previously, I had worked for a very large consulting company, so this was a definite change of culture and I could not be happier. The type of work that I do here is similar, I must say, but that is where the similarities stop. I have worn more hats here than I ever did at my previous company. I have been responsible for workstreams and really feel ownership in my deliverables. The atmosphere here is night and day in comparison to my previous employer. The people are amazing and you really get to know everyone...and I'm not just saying that. One thing that takes some adjustment is that people come into the office here! While that is a change from the 'work from home' atmosphere at other consulting firms, it is amazing the difference it makes. I have met more people here in a short time, than I did in 4 years at my old job. Not only is it nice to be in the office and see friendly faces, but if you are on the bench, you always have someone to talk to and get plugged in to really contribute and make your own career direction.

The benefits are great and the ESOP and 401 (K) match are really nice perks to an already great compensation package.

Cons

The Pay is not as high as some other companies in the industry, but as an experienced hire, I have found that pay is not everything.
    The company is growing at an incredible rate, which can create an atmosphere of unknown future.

One piece of advice that I have is to make sure to keep the culture. That is the #1 reason why I joined and as we have been hiring like crazy, I have been concerned that we will begin to lose that. When you bring in over 100 people in 4 months, that is a large influx of new cultures and I think it is important to maintain that main reason that people join.

At some point, it should be about more than just who is fun to drink with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're right out of college, this is a great resume builder in consulting for a year or two. Your ego will love all the talk about how you're changing the world's best businesses - though if you are honest with yourself, the world's best businesses aren't going to look to a 23 year old for much strategic advice on anything significant.

It's also a great place to continue the frat house antics and enjoy the boozy chauvinist camaraderie you didn't quite get enough of in school. Our leaders are still reliving their glory days as the big man on campus. "Four o'clock rocks" aka "beer and hot wings Friday" is a great place to lobby them for the role as social chair you wish you had at school.

You'll make more money in your first year than most of your college friends did at graduation - but this company is cheap. Five years from now, you'll be way behind your industry peers.

Cons

The culture is more like a cult of personality surrounding the CEO. As other reviewers have pointed out, there is a clear old boys club in charge. At manager, director and above, you'll see lots of good people pushed out the door in a very short order because they just didn't "fit in" with the cool Andersen clique. Management really is a revolving door.

For all the talk about development goals and use of Halogen, your true performance review is based on the opinions of a sycophantic few.

Stop caring about what Dean thinks about every little thing and create a true ownership culture where you can trust others you've put in leadership roles.

Be honest with your own people.

A great experience and variety of opportunities

Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time

Pros

We work hard, but we also have a lot of fun when we get together as a team. There is a lot of travel, but the travel rewards and cash bonus for meeting thresholds over the year give incentive to stay on the road and reward you for your efforts. The company is growing fast and promotes based on merit and achievement. This creates a lot of competition and helps us attract great people. Overall, a great company to build a career at and to be able to see and work in many different industries as well as build a strong network of clients.

Cons

A lot of good people get left in the dust if they don't figure things out fast enough. Leadership can deliver mixed signals sometimes (communication of values versus actions). There is a tendency to try and make everyone "all things to all clients" instead of letting individuals focus on their strengths and backgrounds. Leadership sets very lofty growth goals each year, which is good to a point. However, some begin to question how realistic those goals are as we continue to grow and are not the small super agile company that we used to be.

Best culture and people you'll find anywhere.

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Career development plan, mentoring, high-growth environment. They put a lot of emphasis on taking control of your career and making sure you are happy and feeling successful. Great social events and groups within the company for pretty much any interest or hobby.

Cons

Lower pay than industry, quickly changing and growing company makes for a possibly unstable environment.

Don't sell ESOP, 401k matching to new hires then let them know during training that they won't get them for the first six months they work there.

Employee-owned business makes for a very rewarding career

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture at West Monroe is amazing. Not only from a social standpoint, but also from a professional standpoint.

Cons

No cons to working at West Monroe!

The best consulting gig for college grads

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love it here. The work is widely varied across industries and skillsets but almost always challenging and complex. I've gained more exposure in three years than I would have in ten years positioned at an industry job. We have a strong tradition of giving new consultants way more responsibility than they're qualified for, and most of us rise to those expectations and grow rapidly as a result. I am already considered the "WMP expert" for a particular type of project and I don't think many college graduates can claim that after just three years. This was not a result of my hard work or ingenuity; WMP provided the opportunity and I simply rose to meet it. In addition to providing such opportunities, WMP also puts you alongside some of the brightest consultants that I've encountered and there's a strong sense of team work and collaboration. I've heard horror stories from other companies whereby experienced employees will safeguard and hoard their knowledge because they don't want newhires easily learning what took them years to figure out. I have literally never heard of this kind of thing occurring at WMP; knowledge is constantly being shared via training sessions, blog posts, lunch'n'learns, coach/career advisor relationships, our intranet site, team meetings, I could go on and on. If you learn something cool and want to disseminate it to the rest of the company, it is very much encouraged and there are multiple outlets to do so.

Coming out of college, this place is especially great. You start with a big class of newhires aka your "start class." Our start class this year was 59 kids and it grows significantly every year. These annual waves of start classes have a few benefits:

1. You start a full week of training alongside 60+ new friends. Start classes are always a tight knit group, even as the years progress. If you don't imagine yourself socializing with co-workers outside of work, then you won't like it here. Outlook and Lync are used for coordinating dinners and happy hours just as often as client status meetings.
    2. The company culture stays young. When an office of ~400 brings in such a big start class, it's a big injection of college culture. Our office keg is replaced on a weekly basis at this point.
    3. When a big flood of new consultants come in, it pushes everyone up the career model. With the consultant roles being filled by new hires, almost all of our hires from the previous start class are promoted to Experienced Consultant. Raises and promotions are constant here and it's largely due to the big influx of college graduates every year.

This is consulting, so it's not a 9-5 job, but the work/life balance here is pretty legit. Over the last 15 months I worked an average of 47.8 hours per week INCLUDING all travel time (taxis/planes/cars/etc) so it's probably about 42 hours per week of work on average. I've traveled about 30% of the time here and that's been perfect for me. You start with four weeks of time off and I've never been denied a PTO request even when it was during critical parts of my project. Our work from home policy is that we have no policy, you can work from home whenever you need to (even if you're simply hungover). I consider myself pretty fortunate, though. I have friends in my start class who travel more and work significantly more hours than I do. But when you enjoy the work that you're doing and the people that you're with, the long hours aren't so terrible.

Cons

WMP consistently underpays its consultants. I've always made between $5-$10k less than I thought I was worth. The new ESOP program and the annual bonus help close that gap, but I still feel that I'm not being adequately compensated. We demand the "best and brightest" and we pay for the "good enough." I've looked at other consulting gigs which have offered me significantly more money, but at the end of the day I would have to sacrifice too much company culture and work/life balance to make it worth it. The happiness that I get from this job is worth more than the $15-$20k extra I could get elsewhere.

This is more nitpicky, but we use a performance management tool and force everyone to create goals for themselves at the beginning of each year AND at the beginning of each project and then write reviews of those goals at then end of each year/project. I can appreciate the need for setting goals and reviewing performance as it relates to those goals, but the tool we use (Halogen) is extremely cumbersome and is universally hated by all Consultants. You don't have to write goals or reviews very often, but when you do, you will hate your life.

Consultant-level employees generally feel underpaid. We all love working at WMP too much to leave, but a small additional investment in compensation would attract better talent.

Focus on keeping the company culture so great as we grow past 500 employees.

Good promise for the long run - still in infancy stage

I worked at West Monroe Partners

Pros

You can be part of a growing company, if you have the patience (> 5 years).
    Good fun culture for professionals in their 20s

Cons

Not a grown up company - senior professionals feel out of place.

Think about retaining your senior professionals and not only the junior ones

Immense growth opportunity, learning environment and career building move

I have been working at West Monroe Partners full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are very few consulting firms that are able to deliver consistent, transformative value to clients while maintaining a strong internal company culture and growth environment. Having offers from West Monroe as well as two other name-brand consulting firms, making the decision to join a smaller firm was a difficult one. However, if you are driven, keen to learn fast, and value the ability to make an impact on your firm from day 1, West Monroe is the obvious choice.

Cons

Your accomplishments, as well as your mistakes, travel like wildfire in an environment where you know a large percentage of the firm personally. As a result, it can be difficult to bounce back from mistakes that otherwise may slip under the radar at larger firms.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Experienced Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Experienced Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at West Monroe Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

West Monroe has a great company culture;
    West Monroe provides a wonderful working environment;
    West Monroe focuses on employee's self development;

Cons

Needs to do a better leverage the deep knowledge within the industry in order to create new and exciting solution offering.

West Monroe Partners Photos