West Point

One of the most Professional Organizations in the Army

Former Employee - Instructor in West Point, NY
    Former Employee - Instructor in West Point, NY

I worked at West Point

Pros

Hard work, huge reward environment. Routinely hear back from students I have not worked with in more than six years.

Cons

Three is a myth about workload and effort. Bottom line, worked longer days and more weekends during my time at WP that any other time in my career other than deployments.

None

Walk away

I have been working at West Point

Pros

Honestly there just aren't any at the end of the day.

Cons

Huge morale problems are just the beginning. Management borders on childish behavior on a daily basis. The technology they are pedaling is beyond broken. A career buster!!

Send your management to classes on how to treat people.

Exceptional people, exceptional work environment, exceptional mission

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at West Point full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The quality of the students and employees here is second to none. The military and civilian faculty positions are very competitive, so only the most talented folks get hired. People have great values (sacrifice, honor, integrity, teamwork, duty, honor, country) and are also self-starters. The senior leadership team at the Academy (Superintendent, Dean, Commandant, Department Heads) is amazing--dedicated to the mission while truly caring for people. The cadets are wonderful to be around and make one excited to come to work every day! The quality of life is very good and balance between career and family is very achieve able without sacrificing either.

Cons

There is a certain degree of government bureaucracy for things like travel, procurement, and use of information technology.

Keep working to streamline processes to support your world-class faulty and student body.

Excellent institution; top-notch administration and faculty

Former Employee - Lecturer (Arabic Language & Cross-cultural Operations)) in West Point, NY

I worked at West Point part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent institution with a receptive atmosphere.

The top-notch administration and most-helpful faculty received and welcomed me throughout my several times there.

Cons

USMA (West Point, NY) was initially unsure about the mechanics and funding needed to arrange short-term engagements of military reservists as guest lecturers in its academic department (Dept. of Foreign Languages, in my case).

Include more provisions and establish more-responsive procedures for getting and exploiting the rare skills and backgrounds offered by military reservists.

Great folks to work with

Current Employee - Assistant AD in West Point, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant AD in West Point, NY

I have been working at West Point full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cadets are tremendous to work with

Cons

Military culture is challenging for civilians. Hard to make changes. Strict rules. Common answer is this is how we have always done it.

Better interaction with civilians

A Great Place to Work in general but then the challenges

I worked at West Point full-time

Pros

Fantastic campus. Intelligent and focused students and faculty. Leadership often does genuinely care. Innovative environment. Great history, you become a part of the history and therefore helps develops great purpose to your work.

Cons

Very political environment. Project funding is historically driven by interest of the moment and not an thoughtful analysis of the overall needs (near and long term) against resources evolving into a some kind of program for execution. Environment is therefore mercurial that leads to reactive planning.

The McKinsey Finance podcast stated in one of their studies on why joint ventures fail that they fail because corporations fail to follow their own procedures. Managers are compelled to show early results to satisfy political pressure from senior leaders and stock holders. The same happens with the Federal Govt with trying to show quick results by cutting processes. Invest in good planning and then execute a realistic schedule aggressively.

Developing future Army Leaders

Former Employee - Staff/Faculty
    Former Employee - Staff/Faculty

I worked at West Point full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great community. Opportunities to mentor future Army officers, both in classroom environments as well as sporting events and other volunteer clubs and activities.

Cons

Summer schedule can be a little busy, making it difficult to take vacations. Most assignments are three to four years.

Teaching at West Point is great--a dream come true

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in West Point, NY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in West Point, NY

I have been working at West Point part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ability to contribute to cadet development and the country in a meaningful way.

Cons

Balance of pre commissioning and academic priorities.

It provided me a life-long framework for dsicipline, ranigng from work to home life.

Former Employee - Assistant Professor, Computer Science in West Point, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor, Computer Science in West Point, NY

I worked at West Point full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I taught Computer Science at West Point, it was truly the most rewarding work experience of my life. When I woke up in the morning, I couldn't wait to get to work. Seeing the spark of understanding in my students' eyes was very rewarding.

Cons

There exists some competition related to research, publication, and course development. But that is natural in an acedemic environment.

Foster innovative thinking and a wilingness to take risks that may pay-off

#1 For a reason

I worked at West Point full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

West Point attracts the most talented workforce and some of the most talented youth. Unmatched culture in which to live, work and grow.

Cons

Easy to be pulled in many directions at once, must have Talent and Work Ethic to even hang with the pack

Keep up the great work.