West Side Transport

Add Photos

Don Vogt

Horrible

Dispatcher (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsThe starting salary was very competitive for the field.

ConsThey take advantage of the "salaried" position with additional hours. Some of the first shift dispatchers had ten or eleven hour days. Some simply didn't care and left their work unfinished for later shifts to try to piece together. Nepotism is a huge problem, several members of the management are related and play favorites. The managing staff is incredibly biased and utterly without scruples, on several occasions staff members were asked to violate state or federal laws to insure the delivery schedules were met, which leaves the guilty party holding the bag if this is caught during an audit.

Time off is a joke. Your "vacation" and "sick" time doesn't start until your first year is complete, and even after that if you work an off shift your requests will be denied because you work on a "skeleton crew" and they can't afford to have any employees. Contractual schedules were often changed with little or no warning, the premise being if you refused the transfer, they could fire you without legal recourse.

Simply the most crooked management I have ever encountered, fit for an over the top comedy. When the CEO has the urge to deliver a load, he does not complete his Federally mandated paperwork and drives illegally. Great example for the drivers who don't have tens of thousands waiting in their checking accounts if they get caught doing the same thing and are subsequently fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace your management staff with professionally vetted and qualified individuals. This isn't a family run company, blood relatives shouldn't be running it or hiring each other. Immediately terminate employees that have elicit relationships with their subordinates, this isn't a fraternity or a 70's college movie.

And for the love of God, move to a new location. The ceiling tiles are still stained and rotting from when it was legal to smoke in the office, which has to be the better part of a decade. In the main lobby, lights are constantly missing bulbs, and it is never clean. My first impression upon walking in for my interview was to turn around and walk out. If you want to be treated like professionals, maybe spruce up the packaging instead of padding the upper management's salaries. You might see a *gasp* increase in revenue.

a company i would not advise anyone to seek employment from.

Midwest Regional Driver (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros.38 cents per mile but if you don't get the miles it does not make a difference does it.

Consthe company will nt pay a driver if paperwork is nt signed and don't have what it takes to even gt that done whcxh most times can be done with a simple fax and a request instead they would rather nt pay drivers for work performed. driver managers are nothing bt clerks who in my experience are not very good at doing there jobs some more than others. the driver clerk that my experience was with named tony , drivers of his have had nothing good to say about him, myself included as well as his own co-workers. they send u on runs to closed places, thy advised you to drive unsafe vehicles, they send you to places after thy stop doing business, they provide wrong address and numbers for contact so a driver has to do both jobs and get paid for the one.A poorly ran ship at best and drivers who have been around for asome time say the new management is going to run the company into the ground.

Advice to Senior Managementask your drivers how they feel about the driver clerk who they work with without letting you know who they are and see what you get .

Worked for West Side Transport? Contribute to the Community!