West Virginia University

Updated August 19, 2014

3.6

West Virginia University President James P. Clements
James P. Clements

Pros
  • Depending on your chain of command, very flexible for scheduling, good benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, cost of living is very cheap compared to other big college towns, the school has a lot of plans to continue their growth (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to cost of living increases pay actually has gone down (in 3 reviews)

• Has a bad reputation for party-school, the classes aren't all that challenging, recruiting is hampered by the reputation of the school (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Chemical Engineering at WVU is awesome!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

Pros

Good salary, not competitive work.

Cons

Near no where, no culture, no big city feelings, little town. Hard to networking when you are looking for jobs.

Laid back environment

Former Employee - Professional Technologist IV  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Professional Technologist IV in Morgantown, WV

Pros

Health Insurance, 401K matching, laid back work environment

Cons

laid back work environment, slow process for everything

Loved my time as a graduate assistant.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant/Legal  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant/Legal in Morgantown, WV

Pros

This was the perfect work experience to bridge my education to real world application. Hours were flexible and could be fulfilled throughout the week and around my class schedule. It provided time off when needed and provided a great work-life balance. A tuition waiver was also a huge help in pursing my graduate education.

Cons

The biggest challenge was knowing the position was for a fixed term-- I loved my experience so much that it made it difficult to find something that fit the mold post-graduation. I felt that my supervisors were fair, gave me a great real life education and application of what I learned in school, and helped me grow in my field.

Keep up the good work. I am glad that I had the opportunity to work for the University.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm happy so far

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Morgantown, WV

Pros

as a postdoc, i get as much benefits as regular employees. the rest depends on department, i work in a relatively new building and share office with 1-2 people, have access to enough resources needed for my job

Cons

have to pay for parking at work, and no enough parking space, i heard there is a 3-year wait list for the location where I need parking, so i never applied for a parking permit

Good experience

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Morgantown, WV

Pros

Great people, cost of living is very cheap compared to other big college towns, the school has a lot of plans to continue their growth.

Cons

Graduate assistant salaries aren't great, but they are manageable and continue to go up. The university is split between three campuses, so if you need to see someone in a different building, traveling to them can be a time consuming task.

Beware of Politics and Narrow-Mindedness

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

Pros

As with any large university, there are a lot of intelligent, caring, people at WVU. And Morgantown is a great community for families with a reasonable cost of living. WVU has great spirit and a deep Mountaineer tradition. The university has come a long way in the past decade and *may* be on its way to becoming a truly great university. But parochialism is still strong at all levels...read on.

Cons

Politics and personal bias. Particularly if you are in administration, do NOT expect a long-term career. No matter how excellent your performance, your job is always at risk. Most higher-paid employees are non-classified, year-to-year positions—meaning the university can terminate you any time they want with little or no justification. In fact, this happens frequently, often due to the subjective whims of senior administrators, or due to changes in senior administration (new people come in and want to "clean house," replacing key positions with their own appointments).

Understand that people are not commodities to be bought and traded, with only the bottom line in mind. Do not pay lip service to the free exchange of ideas while firing people behind-the-scenes for not toeing the university line. Do not extol the importance of trust when you don't trust your own employees. Do not claim you aren't micromanagers, then micromanage everything.

Good

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Morgantown, WV

Pros

Nice Work Environment and they are very flexible

Cons

Pay-rise is very low for this position.

Excellent experience, great state.

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Morgantown, WV

Pros

Good support, and provides useful tips for starting out.

Cons

The campus is spread out and there is limited parking.

none

One of the best

Former Employee - Manager  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Manager in Morgantown, WV

Pros

Everyone on staff if very friendly and cohesive
    One of the best athletics programs in the country
    Great environment to be in

Cons

The athletic facilities are outdated
    Certain teams have to share facilities with others which creates conflict
    Everything is too spaced out

Food service supervisor II

Current Employee - Food Service Supervisor II  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Food Service Supervisor II in Morgantown, WV

Pros

The only true "pro" that I can think of how I have met so many different people from all over the world.

Cons

Where should I begin?

Haven't got a raise in 4 years.

There are MANY people working in the university that are there only 20-25 hours a week, making at least triple of what most make.

Working 70 hour weeks, and still not getting any sort of incentives or raises, really makes me wonder how it is legal. Seeing people making 6 figures who do absolutely nothing, makes me sick. Hundreds of millions of dollars in renovations and the true workers can't see a raise.

No time for vacation, so basically the hours accumulated for time off, is wasted.

Stay away from working here. Unless you don't have a family to support and just need a job. Other than that, do not work here. Absolutely ZERO care for their employees.

No comment, it wouldn't matter anyways.

Worked for West Virginia University? Contribute to the Community!