West Virginia University

James P. Clements

67 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good experience

Morgantown, WV

ProsGreat people, cost of living is very cheap compared to other big college towns, the school has a lot of plans to continue their growth.

ConsGraduate assistant salaries aren't great, but they are manageable and continue to go up. The university is split between three campuses, so if you need to see someone in a different building, traveling to them can be a time consuming task.

Good

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsNice Work Environment and they are very flexible

ConsPay-rise is very low for this position.

Beware of Politics and Narrow-Mindedness

Morgantown, WV

ProsAs with any large university, there are a lot of intelligent, caring, people at WVU. And Morgantown is a great community for families with a reasonable cost of living. WVU has great spirit and a deep Mountaineer tradition. The university has come a long way in the past decade and *may* be on its way to becoming a truly great university. But parochialism is still strong at all levels...read on.

ConsPolitics and personal bias. Particularly if you are in administration, do NOT expect a long-term career. No matter how excellent your performance, your job is always at risk. Most higher-paid employees are non-classified, year-to-year positions—meaning the university can terminate you any time they want with little or no justification. In fact, this happens frequently, often due to the subjective whims of senior administrators, or due to changes in senior administration (new people come in and want to "clean house," replacing key positions with their own appointments).

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that people are not commodities to be bought and traded, with only the bottom line in mind. Do not pay lip service to the free exchange of ideas while firing people behind-the-scenes for not toeing the university line. Do not extol the importance of trust when you don't trust your own employees. Do not claim you aren't micromanagers, then micromanage everything.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent experience, great state.

Morgantown, WV

ProsGood support, and provides useful tips for starting out.

ConsThe campus is spread out and there is limited parking.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

One of the best

Manager (Former Employee)
    Morgantown, WV

ProsEveryone on staff if very friendly and cohesive
    One of the best athletics programs in the country
    Great environment to be in

ConsThe athletic facilities are outdated
    Certain teams have to share facilities with others which creates conflict
    Everything is too spaced out

Fun School, Great Times

Engineering Tutor (Former Employee)
    Morgantown, WV

ProsFriendly staff and Awesome and out going students

ConsProfessors needs better teaching methods, hard to understand some classes

Food service supervisor II

Food Service Supervisor II (Current Employee)
    Morgantown, WV

ProsThe only true "pro" that I can think of how I have met so many different people from all over the world.

ConsWhere should I begin?

Haven't got a raise in 4 years.

There are MANY people working in the university that are there only 20-25 hours a week, making at least triple of what most make.

Working 70 hour weeks, and still not getting any sort of incentives or raises, really makes me wonder how it is legal. Seeing people making 6 figures who do absolutely nothing, makes me sick. Hundreds of millions of dollars in renovations and the true workers can't see a raise.

No time for vacation, so basically the hours accumulated for time off, is wasted.

Stay away from working here. Unless you don't have a family to support and just need a job. Other than that, do not work here. Absolutely ZERO care for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment, it wouldn't matter anyways.

Mediocre university, no benefits for TAs

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
    Morgantown, WV

ProsLow admissions standards mean that most anyone who applies to WVU graduate programs will be accepted, and probably offered funding.

ConsNo daycare subsidies, no time off, scheduling preferences and requests are blatantly ignored by supervisors. Coming to WVU I feel as though I have stagnated, rather than augmented my skills over the past two years. My department has not provided any sort of guidance, even when asked specific questions about resumes, interviewing, and finding jobs after graduation. The Career Center referred me back to my department for help finding jobs.

My contract was for 20 hours per week, but I was scheduled to teach five classes, spend 10+ hours tutoring, and grade several weekly assignments for a lecture class of over 200 students. More often than not, these activities added up to more than 20 hours and took away from my own study time.

Diploma value has increased but value of my CV/resume has decreased since working here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Morgantown, WV

ProsUnique opportunities in certain departments to advance and thrive but these are limited.

ConsTraffic, "good-ole-boys club" still exists and thrives, negligent HR system,

Advice to Senior ManagementAdopt modern policies in both the classification and compensation process as well as the system of employee development/training

Good Place to work at

Student Worker (Current Employee)
    Morgantown, WV

ProsAs an employee you can get all the benefits that students get.

ConsCold Weather is the only thing I can think of

Worked for West Virginia University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at West Virginia University reviews and ratings in Morgantown, WV — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for West Virginia University CEO James P. Clements. All 67 reviews posted anonymously by West Virginia University employees.