West Virginia University

Updated September 19, 2014
3.7

West Virginia University President James P. Clements
James P. Clements

Pros
  • Depending on your chain of command, very flexible for scheduling, good benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, cost of living is very cheap compared to other big college towns, the school has a lot of plans to continue their growth (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to cost of living increases pay actually has gone down (in 3 reviews)

• Has a bad reputation for party-school, the classes aren't all that challenging, recruiting is hampered by the reputation of the school (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

75 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

WVU Extending Learning Office Assistant

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very easy job. Anyone who can manage Excel can work for Extended Learning in the Office. The employees are mostly older so tech-savy young adults can impress their bosses easily. Everyone is very nice in the office. Not a bad gig for an easy summer job. No drug test.

Cons

Quite tedious--data entry. A lot of accounting of phone bills. Can get pretty boring with not very many breaks. Not much can be done to make this job more interesting

Allow assistant to browse internet for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours.

Perfect starting point and education opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing work-life balance and flexibility. The entire University staff acts like a tight knit family. While it can seem slow at times, people are often given the opportunity to work on interesting projects.

Cons

Some lack of organization and direction from the executive level. At times, things can get overly political and lose focus from the true goals of the University.

Better IT Governance

Great until personal life took a turn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great. Paid annual leave, paid sick leave, longevity bonus after 3 years, 6% 401k match. Tuition waiver if you want to go back to school.

Cons

Leadership in some departments is terrible. Promotions are hard to come by if you're not "in with the right crowd". Flexibility during difficult times in your personal life is null and void. HR only supports management and offers no resolve to the employee. Pay is extraordinarily low to staff when they require a bachelors or more for a position. Once you reach administration (if you ever reach administration), though, you're typically golden.

Provide more training to those in leadership roles if they've never held a leadership role before. Provide opportunities for advancement to those who have years of experience rather than basing it off of "who you know".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding and exciting with a lot of opportunities for students and faculty a like.

Former Employee - Marketing and Strategic  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Marketing and Strategic in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Students are able and willing to be involved with business life.

Cons

Not an organized environment. Difficult to get in contact with coworkers.

Keep in touch with workers more frequently and make more room for students and workers to get involved.

Laid back environment

Former Employee - Professional Technologist IV  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Professional Technologist IV in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Insurance, 401K matching, laid back work environment

Cons

laid back work environment, slow process for everything

Chemical Engineering at WVU is awesome!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary, not competitive work.

Cons

Near no where, no culture, no big city feelings, little town. Hard to networking when you are looking for jobs.

Loved my time as a graduate assistant.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant/Legal  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant/Legal in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

This was the perfect work experience to bridge my education to real world application. Hours were flexible and could be fulfilled throughout the week and around my class schedule. It provided time off when needed and provided a great work-life balance. A tuition waiver was also a huge help in pursing my graduate education.

Cons

The biggest challenge was knowing the position was for a fixed term-- I loved my experience so much that it made it difficult to find something that fit the mold post-graduation. I felt that my supervisors were fair, gave me a great real life education and application of what I learned in school, and helped me grow in my field.

Keep up the good work. I am glad that I had the opportunity to work for the University.

I'm happy so far

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for less than a year

Pros

as a postdoc, i get as much benefits as regular employees. the rest depends on department, i work in a relatively new building and share office with 1-2 people, have access to enough resources needed for my job

Cons

have to pay for parking at work, and no enough parking space, i heard there is a 3-year wait list for the location where I need parking, so i never applied for a parking permit

Good experience

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, cost of living is very cheap compared to other big college towns, the school has a lot of plans to continue their growth.

Cons

Graduate assistant salaries aren't great, but they are manageable and continue to go up. The university is split between three campuses, so if you need to see someone in a different building, traveling to them can be a time consuming task.

Beware of Politics and Narrow-Mindedness

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As with any large university, there are a lot of intelligent, caring, people at WVU. And Morgantown is a great community for families with a reasonable cost of living. WVU has great spirit and a deep Mountaineer tradition. The university has come a long way in the past decade and *may* be on its way to becoming a truly great university. But parochialism is still strong at all levels...read on.

Cons

Politics and personal bias. Particularly if you are in administration, do NOT expect a long-term career. No matter how excellent your performance, your job is always at risk. Most higher-paid employees are non-classified, year-to-year positions—meaning the university can terminate you any time they want with little or no justification. In fact, this happens frequently, often due to the subjective whims of senior administrators, or due to changes in senior administration (new people come in and want to "clean house," replacing key positions with their own appointments).

Understand that people are not commodities to be bought and traded, with only the bottom line in mind. Do not pay lip service to the free exchange of ideas while firing people behind-the-scenes for not toeing the university line. Do not extol the importance of trust when you don't trust your own employees. Do not claim you aren't micromanagers, then micromanage everything.

Worked for West Virginia University? Contribute to the Community!