West Virginia University

Updated February 25, 2015
3.7

West Virginia University President James P. Clements
James P. Clements

Pros
  • You have everything you need here: football game, nice people, 1 hour drive to big city (Pit) (in 5 reviews)

• Good place to live in, people here are friendly, Transportation between campus include PRT and school bus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to cost of living increases pay actually has gone down (in 3 reviews)

• No job opportunities for foreign students in campus job fairs (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place for Chemical Engineering Grad School!

I have been working at West Virginia University

Pros

- Diverse and interesting research areas
    - Good funding with decent stipend (much higher than national average)
    - Nice, very friendly and experienced faculty
    - International diversity
    - Good alumni network

Cons

- Having previously attended a different and more well known grad school, I think I have every reason to say that WVU (at least for the chemical engineering grad program) gets much less recognition than it deserves!
    - Not too much networking with industry for job placement for graduates
    - Minimal interaction (both academic and social) among grad students who are not in the same research group

Management could improve on networking with the industry to increase chances of job placement for recent graduates. Good management overall.

Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Classified Employee
    Former Employee - Classified Employee

I worked at West Virginia University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for the cause of helping students find success. There is great pride in the school, and departments mostly work well together, especially under the current president, who is working for more cooperation.

Cons

Generally, great people work for WVU, but you'll find some tough coworkers in some instances. It's a random roll of the dice if you get into a good department; they aren't all the same. Pay is under standard for a school this size, especially in expensive Morgantown. Being a university, glass ceilings exist that you won't find in other businesses for those without the right degree, even if they have the requisite experience.

Find ways to increase pay to match employee contributions. Don't be so stuck on rigid standards for hiring people with certain degrees; those diplomas only go so far in measuring talent and ability.

Research Assiatant

I have been working at West Virginia University

Pros

good place to live
    good for old people

Cons

Small town and it is very boring

Was a good experience learned how to handle all types of customers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Springfield, VA

I worked at West Virginia University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I would say the high number of customers taught me to be indifferent.

Cons

The biggest con was the pay structure.

Don't be misleading.

Summer Undergraduate Research Intern at the Center for Neuroscience

I worked at West Virginia University

Pros

Lots of great people, very enjoyable workplace, everyone is always willing to help.

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Nonclassified Employee

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Market compensation, university town, biggest state university,potential for greatness, nice spring weather

Cons

Strategic plan not connected to mission, micro managed chains of command, lack of stablity at all leadership levels, continual budget issues, innovation not rewarded, overall poor employee morale.

Hire and retain experienced leaders to develop midlevel managment and reward innovations. Connect university goals to state needs.

Underrated institution, yet not without its problems

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

WVU/WVURC is a great place to work if you have a family; they have a spouse hire program, like many rural universities.

There are some really smart people here doing great work, and WVU is positioned to rapidly improve its standing as a major research institution. I love my project and my boss, and would totally stay here forever if it weren't for missing city life.

The area is quite beautiful, 90 minutes from Pittsburgh, 3.5 hours from DC, close to skiing, lots of hiking, and tons of whitewater rafting.

Note that WVU and WVURC are separate and have different policies for benefits. I can't speak to what WVU does, but WVURC has a reasonably good 403(b) (like 401(k)) matching policy — 3% is matched! They give merit raises, which is nice, and I didn't expect that at such a large institution.

Morgantown has reasonably good restaurants for a small college town.

There are lots of opportunities for advancement — and tons of possible collaborators. People don't come here by accident (you have to really love what you do to work in the middle of no where).

Cons

There are extremely few post-doctoral fellows at WVU/WVURC. The University does nothing to help you connect with others, and seems to actively go out of its way to make you feel like you're not a member of the community. Your ID card, if you're a post-doc, actually says on it, "Not a WVU employee." You have to really work to find yourself a community and a place here.

This town has a serious problem with housing for single young professionals. In twelve months, I had three bad housing situations — they treat you like a student. This probably isn't an issue if you have a family — you're in a different segment of the community.

The WVURC prescription drug co-pay is insane. You have to pay 30%, which is a ton of money even with some generics.

The bureaucracy can be frustrating. I found it difficult to check out library books, even though research is ostensibly my job.

WVU lacks certain key journal subscriptions and its librarians are not — for some reason — able to obtain requested journals. (This is partially mitigated by the relative promptness of WVU's Interlibrary Loan service.)

The only thing to do after work is drink, particularly in the winter.

Public transit is terrible. I've seen the buses try to run over passengers. The PRT is inconsistent during the winter. Traffic is terrible for such a small town, and there are potholes everywhere. In other words, getting to and from work is a pain.

The Engineering campus is a food desert. Don't forget your lunch, or you'll have to eat at Bits and Bytes.

Do something about housing for single young professionals, and public transit. These are essential in a university town, and they are as much a responsibility of the employer as of the community. Speaking of community, help people who come here for work feel welcome, because the community does a terrible job of it.

Old Culture

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University

Pros

Good Coworkers, Good Vacation availability

Cons

Old Ways of thinking, No room for upward progression

Listen to your younger employees

Program assistant

I have been working at West Virginia University

Pros

Very fast paced career with a lot of opportunities for advancement

Cons

Not very much overtime available

State job with benefits

I worked at West Virginia University

Pros

Large university with a diverse work force. Great place to live. Simple way of life. WVU keeps Morgantown in business.

Cons

Low pay and not much room for career advancement. The weather can be bad sometimes and they never close so you need all wheel drive with snow tires.

Give employees help with career advancement.

West Virginia University Photos