West Virginia University

Updated December 3, 2014
3.7

West Virginia University President James P. Clements
James P. Clements

Pros
  • You have everything you need here: football game, nice people, 1 hour drive to big city (Pit) (in 5 reviews)

• Good place to live in, people here are friendly, Transportation between campus include PRT and school bus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to cost of living increases pay actually has gone down (in 3 reviews)

• No job opportunities for foreign students in campus job fairs (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great stepping stone.

I have been working at West Virginia University

Pros

Arts and Entertainment staff are amazing. Eric Andrews was a great help to get me started in my career.

Cons

Parking garage is always pretty full due to students.

Wonderful opportunity to earn a degree and gain experience.

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant

I worked at West Virginia University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I was compensated for working as a teaching assistant while earning a degree. I was a great experience. I got my masters degree for free and made money in the mean time.

Cons

I enjoyed working for the university in the department I worked for. I have no cons to mention after a year there.

The experience I gained while working at WVU in the Office of Information Technology has been invaluable

Former Employee - Networking Technician and Information Technician Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University

Pros

Fellow employees, career growth, work-life balance, knowledgable and awesome people to work for and with, great connections, and very much a family like atmosphere

Cons

Primarily the pay, promotions, and opportunity for advancement, sometimes a lack of necessary resources primarily human resources, and hiring process takes way too long

Promotions, bonuses, and salary increases are far too negligible. Your people love their job, making a difference, and going home satisfied that they put in an accomplishing day, however, in many instances the work is being increased every quarter, or year, yet the employment compensation, and the help that they need i.e. lack of employees in a department remains the same. This needs to change!

Positive Work Environment

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Morgantown is a great city and WVU is a good school to attend for a good education. It's a wonderful school to attend at an affordable price in comparison to other schools.

Cons

Not a lot of career opportunities for students. Hard often to go between campuses if needed quickly. Opportunities are spaced between the different campuses as well.

Cutthroat Cohorts

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Strong research experience can be provided from highly recognized programs of study. Employees and faculty encourage community service and sincerely strive to emphasize the academic integrity of the university beyond the "party life" stigma of the undergraduate body.

Cons

Cohort members are extremely competitive with each other for academic advisors, attention, and acknowledgement. It quickly became evident that the graduate students, preferred by senior professors, were provided with certain benefits, such as larger offices. An atmosphere of gossip was promoted by the professors in power. Thus, personal information became a weapon for the grad students to use against one another in attempts to elevate their own popularity. Passion for research became an exhausting balance between academic excellence and face-saving acts - even if said acts were detrimental to others.

Don't encourage a culture of gossip and favoritism. People go to universities to learn from others. The should not be trained to use information to harm or belittle others just to gain a career. Academic integrity goes beyond the classroom.

WVU IT

I worked at West Virginia University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot at my time there.

Cons

Not a lot of ability to move up within the company

Graduate research assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good research field, explores new dimensions, plenty opportunities. Team is supportive and you can make your name and fame to rise heights.

Cons

no cons as such.but personal growth is limited.perks are limited and time sheets are a little pain.policies are not ver helping in terms of medical benefits, etc.

It's a great place work.

I have been working at West Virginia University

Pros

Nice place. More freedom on hours. Free health insurance.

Cons

Bad winter in the area.

My review

I have been working at West Virginia University

Pros

Location is good for me

Cons

The city is relatively small

great university, people are friendly, staff are helpful. morgantown is a very quite town where you can focus on study

I have been working at West Virginia University

Pros

people are friendly and helpful, courses are will organized

Cons

very few job opportunities, if you want to find a good job you will have to move to bigger cities

West Virginia University Photos