West Virginia University Reviews

Reset
3.7
West Virginia University President E. Gordon Gee
E. Gordon Gee

Pros
  • Locals are nice people with great spirit (in 5 reviews)

• Good place to live in, people here are friendly, Transportation between campus include PRT and school bus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • very few job opportunities, if you want to find a good job you will have to move to bigger cities (in 3 reviews)

• transportation system is unreliable, you need a car to get from evensdale to main campus (in 3 reviews)

1. Graphic Design

I worked at West Virginia University

Pros

Working for West Virginia University allows an opportunity for more involvement in the university's activities. The advantages are endless, and the people are wonderful.

Cons

The downside of working for West Virginia University is that it is sometimes difficult to find a balance between school and work.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management is to keep up the great work. I really have no complaints or advice to be shared that directs to the management.

2. Morgantown's top employer

Current Employee - Professional Technologist III in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Professional Technologist III in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are excellent, opportunity for furthering education, many jobs throughout campus for continuing advancement, learn many skills beyond your job description if you take the initiative

Cons

Employees do not feel valued, managers do not understand pay for performance. It is common place to do the bare minimum because it does not benefit to work hard. No regular pay raises, no performance raises. Difficult to promote from within.

Advice to Management

Learn to promote within from a valuable pool of employees, learn to promote economic benefits from strong work ethic and performance metrics, I see poor management in a lot of areas of the University. Their should be a leadership class, all retail industry requires a 1-2 week course on leadership because some people just can't figure it out on their own. Too many employees in the same position for too many years.

3. Administrative Secretary Position

Current Employee - West Virginia
    Current Employee - West Virginia

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time

Pros

This is a great company to work for. The benefits are awesome, and we get University and State holidays off. There are so many positive people working for this WVU, and there are many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Entry level position, so the pay isn't awesome, but the benefits easily make up for it.

Advice to Management

n/a

5. Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

I worked at West Virginia University (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked Marketing with many different sports teams that West Virginia offered.

Cons

Working for the marketing department did not negatively affect my outlook on the university or marketing in general.

6. Worked here for almost 5 years

Current Employee - Program Coordinator
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Affordable healthcare insurance benefits
    Nice offering of worksite wellness benefits through both the University as well as the healthcare insurer (WV Public Employees Insurance Agency)
    Flexible work arrangements (pending supervisor approval)
    WVU Employee Tuition Waiver
    Shorter workweek (37.5 hours) considered full-time (for now...)
    Retirement benefits- WVU does a 6% match and employees are vested 100% immediately upon hire

Cons

Work-week will soon increase to 40 hours per week, from 37.5 hours.
    Healthcare insurance premiums and deductibles are based on salary/annual earnings. Thus, the increase in hours worked per week will raise me into the next tier and cause an increase in my insurance premiums (although my coverage will not change). This will negate any pay "increase" on my paycheck in regard to the new 40 hour work week, which will start in October 2015
    WVU does require a full-time employee to contribute 6% to a retirement plan (401a, I believe). While the University does match at 6% and the contributions are vested immediately, the 6% being mandatory may be a hindrance to some employees

Budget Director

Former Employee - Unit Budget Director in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Unit Budget Director in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

State benefits for full time employees are standard. Classified staff are loyal and hard working. Working conditions standard, excellent access to hospitals and doctors. Local venues for entertainment include Div 1 athletics and there is a robust university cultural events calendar. Low crime rate gives sense of community safety. Plenty of food and beverage establishments and a convenience store for everybody. Best economy in WV. Few opportunities to get sunburned. Best recreational asset is the rail trail.

Cons

Continual turnover of leadership at all levels. State benefits continue to erode and few options are emerging for new state revenues. Bigger budget cuts are coming. The University budget is dependent upon out of state student tuition and tuition increases are reaching a tipping point. WVU remains a paper dependent administrative system. The human resources department values negative reinforcement and is not responsive to the general employee concerns. There is no correlation between performance reviews and pay. Local housing costs are out of control. Family parks and recreation opportunities are limited. The city and county infrastructure remains stuck in the 1960's- propeller airline, no zoning, lots of stoplights, busy roads, high rate of traffic accidents, no sidewalk system, confusing and limited public transportation and very limited planned green space.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology development and reduce the "silo" mentality of programs. Reduce duplication of programs and address the pay inequity gap between top management and staff. Improve customer service training and become more engaged with the State on health, education and workforce development issues.

8. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Supervisor in Lake Worth, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Lake Worth, FL

I worked at West Virginia University (More than a year)

Pros

state job that is all

Cons

cold winters that is all

9. Excellent Employer

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

WVU part-time student workers get a basic payment per hour that is above the minumum for the state of WV.
    Working for WVU you can work more than 40 hours a week

Cons

clock in/ clock out devices are only on few places over the bulding, sometimes make it easy to forget to clock in or out if you are in a hurry.

10. Overall good job but lacks the necessities to become a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits to working here were that the schedule was set. I rarely worked over 40 hours. Plenty of vacation and sick time. Very low stress work conditions.

Cons

I really enjoyed my job but there are almost 0 opportunities for advancement. All the raises are equal and are more tenure based than value based. If I felt more appreciated and had an opportunity to advance than this would be a great place to work.

Advice to Management

If there was a way to make it so that your better employees were rewarded then everyone's productivity would increase and the institution as a whole would be more efficient.

11. Network Engineer

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are high-quality, friendly people. The are flexible in schedule and understanding that employees have a life. Pay is good for WV.

Cons

As a WVU grad and WV native I can tell you that like the state of WV, WVU is VERY change-adverse.

Pay is lower than nearby Metro areas and is not merit-based in practice.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of change.

RSS Feed </> Embed