West Virginia University Reviews

E. Gordon Gee

1. Great work experience

Former Employee - Student Worker in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a student worker while I was at WVU. They had great flexibility with my schedule and the work wasn't hard. It was a pretty relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Not really any cons. It was a great job to make extra money while I was in school.

2. Study Coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of paid time off (vacation, sick time, and holiday pay)
    Good environment to expand your learning

Cons

Low salary and being a research based institute can lead to some problems

3. Typical "Non-profit" university.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good research facilities and plenty of events around town. In the summer it is a great place to live. Decent salary before fees.

Cons

Transportation is hell in morgantown. You will have to pay a few hundred dollars for a parking pass, or walk a mile each day.
    Even with a tuition waiver, you will pay $2000 in college fees. Plan accordingly.
    Traffic will only get worse, and the university is investing everything into housing so expect class sizes to get bigger.

Advice to Management

Invest in faculty and infrastructure. The town cannot support the number of people you are trying to accommodate. Quit trying to be one of the big universities and work on improving quality instead of quantity.

5. A university with misplaced priorities

Former Employee - Professor in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Professor in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University

Pros

WVU is the comprehensive flagship university in the state. It has schools of engineering, agriculture, medicine, pharmacy, law, etc. Morgantown is a growing, cosmopolitan oasis in a state which is neither. Morgantown is 90 minutes from Pittsburgh, an underrated gem. DC is a 3 hour interstate drive. The topography is mountainous. The are 4 distinct seasons: spring and summer are beautiful, fall is spectacular, but winter is very drab unless you ski. The WVU Rifle team is the most successful team in any sport in NCAA history.

Cons

The roads are awful and traffic is horrendous. WVU is a second rate university, and has always been poorly supported by the state. The administration has a two track strategy for improvement. Strategy 1 is to pay competitive starting salaries and place unrealistic expectations for research funding on new hires. The second is to attract as many undergraduates as possible by being a fun school to attend ( the emphasis is on fun rather than school). There is a suffocating emphasis on political correctness, diversity, inclusiveness, sustainability and every other trendy cause in higher ed.

Advice to Management

The administration has largely abandoned academic excellence as the primary goal of higher education. They don't realize that PR slogans and new buildings are not the goal of a university. Our president is a man of vast experience in leading mediocre institutions who is past his expiration date.

6. Nonclassified Employee

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Market compensation, university town, biggest state university,potential for greatness, nice spring weather

Cons

Strategic plan not connected to mission, micro managed chains of command, lack of stablity at all leadership levels, continual budget issues, innovation not rewarded, overall poor employee morale.

Advice to Management

Hire and retain experienced leaders to develop midlevel managment and reward innovations. Connect university goals to state needs.

7. Underrated institution, yet not without its problems

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WVU/WVURC is a great place to work if you have a family; they have a spouse hire program, like many rural universities.

There are some really smart people here doing great work, and WVU is positioned to rapidly improve its standing as a major research institution. I love my project and my boss, and would totally stay here forever if it weren't for missing city life.

The area is quite beautiful, 90 minutes from Pittsburgh, 3.5 hours from DC, close to skiing, lots of hiking, and tons of whitewater rafting.

Note that WVU and WVURC are separate and have different policies for benefits. I can't speak to what WVU does, but WVURC has a reasonably good 403(b) (like 401(k)) matching policy — 3% is matched! They give merit raises, which is nice, and I didn't expect that at such a large institution.

Morgantown has reasonably good restaurants for a small college town.

There are lots of opportunities for advancement — and tons of possible collaborators. People don't come here by accident (you have to really love what you do to work in the middle of no where).

Cons

There are extremely few post-doctoral fellows at WVU/WVURC. The University does nothing to help you connect with others, and seems to actively go out of its way to make you feel like you're not a member of the community. Your ID card, if you're a post-doc, actually says on it, "Not a WVU employee." You have to really work to find yourself a community and a place here.

This town has a serious problem with housing for single young professionals. In twelve months, I had three bad housing situations — they treat you like a student. This probably isn't an issue if you have a family — you're in a different segment of the community.

The WVURC prescription drug co-pay is insane. You have to pay 30%, which is a ton of money even with some generics.

The bureaucracy can be frustrating. I found it difficult to check out library books, even though research is ostensibly my job.

WVU lacks certain key journal subscriptions and its librarians are not — for some reason — able to obtain requested journals. (This is partially mitigated by the relative promptness of WVU's Interlibrary Loan service.)

The only thing to do after work is drink, particularly in the winter.

Public transit is terrible. I've seen the buses try to run over passengers. The PRT is inconsistent during the winter. Traffic is terrible for such a small town, and there are potholes everywhere. In other words, getting to and from work is a pain.

The Engineering campus is a food desert. Don't forget your lunch, or you'll have to eat at Bits and Bytes.

Advice to Management

Do something about housing for single young professionals, and public transit. These are essential in a university town, and they are as much a responsibility of the employer as of the community. Speaking of community, help people who come here for work feel welcome, because the community does a terrible job of it.

8. Old Culture

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University

Pros

Good Coworkers, Good Vacation availability

Cons

Old Ways of thinking, No room for upward progression

Advice to Management

Listen to your younger employees

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University

Pros

I enjoy working here. The town itself is great and close to big cities - DC, Pittsburg, places in Ohio, Virginia etc. the people are also great to work with. Many opportunities for professional development.

Cons

Salary could be better compared to national averages. Housing is expensive around here too.

10. Graduate Research Assistant- Electronics and photonics

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very good course work, will learn a lot form the projects

Cons

Possibility of funding is very difficult

Advice to Management

Increasing number of faculty working in this field would be better.

11. Amazing Experience

Former Employee - Instructor in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Instructor in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive atmosphere, warm staff environment, and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Limited resources to open new positions

West Virginia University Photos