West Virginia University

Updated September 25, 2014
3.7

West Virginia University President James P. Clements
James P. Clements

Pros
  • It provided time off when needed and provided a great work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Paid annual leave, paid sick leave, longevity bonus after 3 years, 6% 401k match (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to cost of living increases pay actually has gone down (in 3 reviews)

• Has a bad reputation for party-school, the classes aren't all that challenging, recruiting is hampered by the reputation of the school (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great quality of education for the price. Plenty of exciting work opportunities if you take advantage of the resources.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant - Industry Assessment Center  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant - Industry Assessment Center in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Theres not many places as unique as Morgantown WV. You live in a small, lively town, that is centered around the University. The faculty do their best to look after and care for the students, especially in the engineering department where I work.

Cons

The winter is brutal, the payment can be a little delayed.

Keep the focus on the research facilities, not high-end housing.

WVU Extending Learning Office Assistant

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very easy job. Anyone who can manage Excel can work for Extended Learning in the Office. The employees are mostly older so tech-savy young adults can impress their bosses easily. Everyone is very nice in the office. Not a bad gig for an easy summer job. No drug test.

Cons

Quite tedious--data entry. A lot of accounting of phone bills. Can get pretty boring with not very many breaks. Not much can be done to make this job more interesting

Allow assistant to browse internet for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours.

Great school, but research opportunities can be sketchy

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting paid to go to school is a pretty good deal. Experience is completely dependent on the adviser that you get paired. That being said, in my particular situation I had very flexible hours and commitments.

Cons

Securing funding can be very sketchy. I worked as a research assistant for several years, and funding changes every semester. Had to resort to student teaching, grading, etc due to several lapses.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great until personal life took a turn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are great. Paid annual leave, paid sick leave, longevity bonus after 3 years, 6% 401k match. Tuition waiver if you want to go back to school.

Cons

Leadership in some departments is terrible. Promotions are hard to come by if you're not "in with the right crowd". Flexibility during difficult times in your personal life is null and void. HR only supports management and offers no resolve to the employee. Pay is extraordinarily low to staff when they require a bachelors or more for a position. Once you reach administration (if you ever reach administration), though, you're typically golden.

Provide more training to those in leadership roles if they've never held a leadership role before. Provide opportunities for advancement to those who have years of experience rather than basing it off of "who you know".

Perfect starting point and education opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing work-life balance and flexibility. The entire University staff acts like a tight knit family. While it can seem slow at times, people are often given the opportunity to work on interesting projects.

Cons

Some lack of organization and direction from the executive level. At times, things can get overly political and lose focus from the true goals of the University.

Better IT Governance

Laid back environment

Former Employee - Professional Technologist IV  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Professional Technologist IV in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Insurance, 401K matching, laid back work environment

Cons

laid back work environment, slow process for everything

Rewarding and exciting with a lot of opportunities for students and faculty a like.

Former Employee - Marketing and Strategic  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Marketing and Strategic in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Students are able and willing to be involved with business life.

Cons

Not an organized environment. Difficult to get in contact with coworkers.

Keep in touch with workers more frequently and make more room for students and workers to get involved.

Chemical Engineering at WVU is awesome!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good salary, not competitive work.

Cons

Near no where, no culture, no big city feelings, little town. Hard to networking when you are looking for jobs.

Loved my time as a graduate assistant.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant/Legal  in  Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant/Legal in Morgantown, WV

I worked at West Virginia University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

This was the perfect work experience to bridge my education to real world application. Hours were flexible and could be fulfilled throughout the week and around my class schedule. It provided time off when needed and provided a great work-life balance. A tuition waiver was also a huge help in pursing my graduate education.

Cons

The biggest challenge was knowing the position was for a fixed term-- I loved my experience so much that it made it difficult to find something that fit the mold post-graduation. I felt that my supervisors were fair, gave me a great real life education and application of what I learned in school, and helped me grow in my field.

Keep up the good work. I am glad that I had the opportunity to work for the University.

I'm happy so far

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate  in  Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at West Virginia University full-time for less than a year

Pros

as a postdoc, i get as much benefits as regular employees. the rest depends on department, i work in a relatively new building and share office with 1-2 people, have access to enough resources needed for my job

Cons

have to pay for parking at work, and no enough parking space, i heard there is a 3-year wait list for the location where I need parking, so i never applied for a parking permit

West Virginia University Photos

Worked for West Virginia University? Contribute to the Community!