WestJet Reviews

68 reviews filtered by
3.7
WestJet President and CEO Gregg A. Saretsky
Gregg A. Saretsky

Pros
  • Flight benefits are great if you can afford to travel on a low wage (in 16 reviews)

• Twice yearly profit share, top notch employee share purchase plan and employee engagement and culture is still strong (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very political in the office; salaries are very low in the market (especially compared to oil companies); profit share spread too thin now (in 5 reviews)

• work life balance can be tough, but is to be expected when you are working in a 24/7 industry (in 3 reviews)

1. awesome

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at WestJet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very nice company to work for, I have been with them 6 months already. I'm still in awe of the work culture

Cons

none known at this time. working in public eye constantly might be challenging, but coworkers and management are always there when needed.

2. Super Sales Agent

I have been working at WestJet part-time

Pros

Awesome company to work for. They really have a great corporate culture. They have an awesome profit share check that you can really look forward to. And for the Super Sales Agent you get to work from home.

Cons

The hours for the Super Sales Agent aren't flexible, but after you work there for a bit it gets a lot better and you get some my time days to take time off.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Allow more flexibility!

3. CSA

I worked at WestJet part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and great people

Cons

Unpaid and a lot of shift work

Can be frustrating if you work for Encore

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at WestJet full-time

Pros

-There are lots of fantastic, friendly people who are great at their jobs, and make coming to work fun.

-Flight benefits are great (if you can afford on your low salary).

-Getting paid to fly around and see different parts of the country is something that I truly enjoy. Waking up in one location and going to bed in another is exciting.

-Commercial aviation is an exciting industry, with every day being different from the one previous.

Cons

-Working for WestJet's regional subsidiary, WestJet Encore, means that your wages are a LOT lower than your WestJet colleagues (and even lower than almost any other regional airline in Canada, even though management states to us that our wages are 'competitive' with other regional airlines).

-Flight attendants' wages at Encore are so laughably low, many of us qualify for government assistance. You have to REALLY love what you do if you want to work here.

-There are quite a few WestJetters (referred to as "mainline" employees by most of us) who treat Encore employees as 'second-class' WestJetters, which can be frustrating and disappointing.

-A lot of favoritism with management (i.e: if you are friends with someone in management, you can move up really quickly- even if you maybe aren't as qualified as some of the other candidates).

-If you wish to move up to work for WestJet as a flight attendant, you are practically told it is impossible (no flow-through at this time). There is, in my opinion, very little incentive for Encore FAs to stay.

-Due to the low wages, the quality of people being hired has declined. Some new-hires are young, inexperienced/immature recent high-school graduates who can sometimes be difficult to work with.

-Profit Share is spread too thin now- too many employees makes this incentive not as tantalizing as it once was.

Advice to Management

Pay your Encore flight attendants more. You are losing such valuable and amazing employees just because they can't afford to live on our low wages. Having to work two, sometimes up to three, jobs to make ends meet is unacceptable when Encore is making such record profits. Drop the favoritism when hiring people into higher-up positions.

Amazing culture and people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WestJet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, people, moral, flying perks, stocks

Cons

Management, competition internally and externally, growing too fast with limited staff.

Advice to Management

It's all about processes in any department. Make sure your leaders are following and creating processes for their team members.

7. Lots of change...culture is taking a sideline to cash flow.

Former Employee - Flight Attn in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Flight Attn in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WestJet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people especially senior employees who still love the company.

Cons

Lots of change happening, making hard on newer employees to understand what the culture use to be like.

8. Completed a Master's degree helping build a globally successful and profitable airline, Strategy and Commercial

I have been working at WestJet

Pros

Culture culture and vision, engaged employee base, profitable and expanding

Cons

Narrow minded teams in many areas, as they try to go Global

Advice to Management

Hire Global minds!

9. Great culture

Former Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WestJet

Pros

Great culture, everyone is very friendly and they treat the employees very well

Cons

Went back on it's first-bag free promise :(

Advice to Management

Don't forget what made the company successful, with the growth over the past few years it is possible for WestJet to become "just another big airline"

10. Great Place, Great Growth

Current Employee - Operations Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Support in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WestJet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best points with working for WestJet is the corporate culture. The company recently just passed 10 000 active employees and the culture is still one of its biggest assets. Take care of your people, they will take care of your guests, who will take care of your bottom line, this has been instilled in everyone at the company and although there have been growing pains it is still the back bone to our decision making process

Cons

As it is a Calgary Based operation, many of the corporate jobs are in Calgary making growth sometimes difficult if you are not willing to relocate your family.

Advice to Management

Never stray from the bottom up approach, those who do the jobs are those who know how to do them best.

11. Good Company to work for

Current Employee - AME in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - AME in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WestJet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits,Good salary depending on your position,Takes care of the Employees and great place to work at.

Cons

A lot of Favourism depending on what position you are working at certain managers favour certain people for jobs that they dont deserve