WestLake Financial Group

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Paul J Burt

Proud to tell people I work for WestLake

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery well known and established company. Unique business model which certainly sticks out when I explain to people exactly what I do.

ConsObvious long hours but sometimes I can finish my work quickly and get home early.

Advice to Senior ManagementCatered lunch would be nice so we dont have to leave the office during the day. This way we can finish our work earlier and get home to our families.

Former Employee. Good Company to

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTheir CEO Paul J. Burt is actively involved with the company and I believe is noted as one of the best bosses to work for here in Chicago. The hot lunch is also a big perk at this growing company.

ConsI had a long commute and it was not ideal dealing with the traffic to and from work everyday so I have decided to take a job that pays less and a company that is not as friendly but my wife is happier now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the meal program. I have highly recommended your company to the recruiter that found me the job.

Empty promises and the place to be if you want to destroy your reputation in the benefits world

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsHard working employees, short coomute if you live in the Buffalo Grove area, free lunch during open enrollment, plenty of parking

ConsI was part of the leadership team and can Confirm fake reviews were written. In fact, I wrote one! The owner is paranoid, sells things to clients that cannot be delivered, and fires others because the client leaves or threatens to leave because he sold something thatcould not be supported with the WFG archaic technogy. He makes promises of change, tells you he will support change, but doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Also, the owner and his "cronies" are worst than 16 year old girls with their gossip about the hardworking.g employees. It's comical to see how they attempt to turn employees against each other. There were many times I was uncomfortable with how the President talked down about people who were giving everything they have. Also, the CEO is unprofessional....he makes inappropriate comments in front of the ladies regularly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting your time writing fake reviews. You have potential to turn things around....start with hiring real technology resources, invest in improving your technogy, and stop being paranoid....your employees are not out to get you. Keep your promises to employees and don't sell this.gs to clients you are not yet prepared to deliver. Pay your bills....It's embarrassing! Stop blaming Tami for the mess that WestLake is....she wasn't perfect but the mess is the CEOs.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent experience

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt's a friendly environment, I enjoyed working here with the guys. I actually worked in their IT department during an internship and it's really great feelings working for the company. They are truly helpful and I learned alot from here. Great company!

ConsSometimes it's tough to handle the pressure,

Not looking good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAn easy job to get.

ConsHigh turnover in leadership positions making employees trust no one. Rumors that the new President is being demoted? Which means he is being booted out. Is a shame because he is loyal and wants good things for the clients and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut your losses and let the good people who work for you move
    on.

I enjoy working for Westlake Financial Group as it is a great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Buffalo Grove, IL

ProsFriendly atmosphere/ excellent working conditions. I find that everyone is very professional. The current president works with employees and clients alike to build on the company's growth. We have a lunch and learn each week which is beneficial to all. The company always provide a healthy lunch. Based on the size of this company, the compensation package is adequate. We have had many summer outings on the company's expense and it has always been a blast.

ConsThe current president has an open door policy and is always very accomodating. He listens, cares about the employees and what they have to contribute, and he always get things done.
    This is a definite "pro".

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for working so diligently to bring in new business.

WestLake Financial Group Response

May 27, 2014VP of Human Capital

Thanks for the review. We are working hard to make this an enjoyable and rewarding place to work for everyone.

Don't believe positive reviews.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Lake Forest, IL

ProsThey promise a lot during interview process, but hardly anything g they say comes to promotion.

Cons5 glowing reviews in 5 weeks, after being bashed for years? Doesn't this seem funny? The employer treats emotes badly, and every day is a drama. They record every phone calls, and the owner's admin Acts as his spy. Everything feels like big-brother like.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with emotes and show genuine concern for their well being.

Would Not Recommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people.

ConsLack of resources is a big one. Higher ups make promises to clients that they know the company cannot keep and force those working with the client to take the brunt of the frustration from the client. Old technology does not allow for necessary and seemingly standard requests and reports to be processed without large amounts of manual intervention.
    There is also a huge lack of training for the staff. No continuing education/training is available and they were behind the times with keeping up on Healthcare Reform.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the petty finger pointing and invest some money to make a reputable company.

Is it me or is this place going out of business soon??

Anonymous (Current Employee) Buffalo Grove, IL

ProsIt's a job I guess. Great team of co-workers though. Good location. Hours are good. Lunch is sometimes provided.

ConsI don't know but I'm getting the impression that the company is not doing too well. Over the last year or so I've seen many good people come and leave. Something is going on. I think the "positive" reviews here are phony and made by management. The verbiage doesn't sound like it's coming from any employee I know around here and there aren't that many to begin with. I've started looking too because we're steadily losing clients because our service and technology are no where near those of our competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers are not at all kind and at times downright condescending. We often feel like we're walking on eggshells. Employees are leaving and so are clients. We don't know what to expect anymore.

WestLake Financial Group Response

May 27, 2014VP of Human Capital

We are truly sorry you feel this way. My door is always open to talk and discuss what we could do differently to improve your work life.

Things are Going Well

ProsPositive updates occurring, support when you need it but no micromanaging

ConsStill working my way down the learning curve on some technologies

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been at WestLake for three months now and have found it to be a good place to work. Given all the changes driven by PPACA, there is never a dull moment in the benefits space these days - and the senior leaders seem to be doing their part to ensure we are on the right track (i.e. investing in IT, new processes, hiring healthcare experts). I’ve been impressed with the changes that I’m seeing – and personally have not worked anywhere before where the staff is provided a free hot lunch every day - which is really a nice, community-building opportunity for those who participate.

Worked for WestLake Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!