WestLake Financial Group

Paul J Burt

Good company for intern

Former Employee - Summer IT Intern in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Summer IT Intern in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at WestLake Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Somewhat laidback and business casual environment. It is a small company so there is little visual semblance to corporate America, which worked well for me considering this was my first internship. Employees are all very friendly. Learned a lot about IT that I would have never touched upon in university coursework. The company seems to have hit a low point before I arrived, but appears to be on the rise again; I believe there is a positive outlook for the future.

Cons

Not extremely organized, particularly in terms of assigning tasks to me. There would be days where I would be constantly doing something productive and others where I would kill time for the majority of the day. The tasks I performed didn't line up exactly with what I was hoping for (more technical programming things, but I knew what I was getting into).

Real Review Alert: WestLake really is a "WestFake"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at WestLake Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the MANY people that have come and gone there (oh yes, extremely high turnover.) Also great clients and vendors who have gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to lack of service and non-payments. It's a shame, the owner does not have any values or scruples.

Cons

It is clear that the company is trying to come off as appealing to work for, therefore they post fake favorable reviews here. They also boast about their "coveted" 101 Best and Brightest award that they simply just purchased. I am positive that no one in their right mind that has ever worked at Westlake would say such things about how great the work-life or culture is there. The honest truth, they treat employees poorly. They micromanage their employees and monitor their every move. The company is slowly deteriorating. I don't believe there's much of a future there.

"Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near." Just sell or close the business and stop harming the good people and small businesses around you.

Job Outta Hell....

I worked at WestLake Financial Group

Pros

Absolutely nothing positive to say.

Cons

Where to i start... the empty promises and fake attitudes from the senior management is appalling. starting work there i already had employees telling me i would be looking for a job within months and they were correct... This place is a joke and anyone who is looking for a real career needs to stay away from a place like this. The CEO and President are very paranoid and do not trust any of the staff. They constantly walk around the office to "check up" on people but are really trying to catch them doing things like selling company secrets or sabotaging clients, which never happens. The office has a very bad odor from the mold growing in the ceilings but management doesn't worry about it because the president has his nice office and the CEO works out of another office so he doesn't have to deal with the employees that he cant stand. The "idiots" in the call center as he most fondly referred too are really good people who are just trying to make an honest living but sadly are the ones that are being treated terribly. They have many nice offices and rooms in the back of the building but choose to stick people on one side to be able to monitor people easier. Putting 4 people in a room the size of a small bathroom with no windows isn't the best way to cater to your employees. The turnover rate is ridiculous within two months of working there more than 10 people left the company or were either let go for some bogas reason. Even the VP was fired without notice for no real reason. They claim to be one of the "Best and Brightest" companies to work for but they basically bribe and watch the employees fill out the surveys to get the necessary results they need to have something to show to clients. They walk around not really caring for what they want to do for their clients but how much money they can milk out of them. The erratic actions and thoughts that the president and CEO have are the reason that there is no moral within the company and why no one wants to work there. The CEO would constantly desire only "young, beautiful" looking people to work for his company and "not to hire" anyone who does not fit the correct "image". Going out to lunch was even uncomfortable because the CEO would constantly make inappropriate comments about other woman and would even sometimes take pictures with his phone.... He and the President both work together to make sure no one can succeed even themselves and that's why i urge anyone trying to get a job here to STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!!! And please do not believe any of the 5 star reviews they are all written by the president and CEO to try and make the glassdoor reviews not seem so bad but look at the rest and it speaks for itself. This place is a joke and most likely will be out of business in the months to come.

Cut your losses and be faithful to your wives.

Proud to tell people I work for WestLake

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at WestLake Financial Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very well known and established company. Unique business model which certainly sticks out when I explain to people exactly what I do.

Cons

Obvious long hours but sometimes I can finish my work quickly and get home early.

Catered lunch would be nice so we dont have to leave the office during the day. This way we can finish our work earlier and get home to our families.

Former Employee. Good Company to

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at WestLake Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their CEO Paul J. Burt is actively involved with the company and I believe is noted as one of the best bosses to work for here in Chicago. The hot lunch is also a big perk at this growing company.

Cons

I had a long commute and it was not ideal dealing with the traffic to and from work everyday so I have decided to take a job that pays less and a company that is not as friendly but my wife is happier now.

Keep up the meal program. I have highly recommended your company to the recruiter that found me the job.

Empty promises and the place to be if you want to destroy your reputation in the benefits world

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at WestLake Financial Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hard working employees, short coomute if you live in the Buffalo Grove area, free lunch during open enrollment, plenty of parking

Cons

I was part of the leadership team and can Confirm fake reviews were written. In fact, I wrote one! The owner is paranoid, sells things to clients that cannot be delivered, and fires others because the client leaves or threatens to leave because he sold something thatcould not be supported with the WFG archaic technogy. He makes promises of change, tells you he will support change, but doesn't put his money where his mouth is. Also, the owner and his "cronies" are worst than 16 year old girls with their gossip about the hardworking.g employees. It's comical to see how they attempt to turn employees against each other. There were many times I was uncomfortable with how the President talked down about people who were giving everything they have. Also, the CEO is unprofessional....he makes inappropriate comments in front of the ladies regularly.

Stop wasting your time writing fake reviews. You have potential to turn things around....start with hiring real technology resources, invest in improving your technogy, and stop being paranoid....your employees are not out to get you. Keep your promises to employees and don't sell this.gs to clients you are not yet prepared to deliver. Pay your bills....It's embarrassing! Stop blaming Tami for the mess that WestLake is....she wasn't perfect but the mess is the CEOs.

Excellent experience

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at WestLake Financial Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It's a friendly environment, I enjoyed working here with the guys. I actually worked in their IT department during an internship and it's really great feelings working for the company. They are truly helpful and I learned alot from here. Great company!

Cons

Sometimes it's tough to handle the pressure,

Not looking good.

I worked at WestLake Financial Group

Pros

An easy job to get.

Cons

High turnover in leadership positions making employees trust no one. Rumors that the new President is being demoted? Which means he is being booted out. Is a shame because he is loyal and wants good things for the clients and employees.

Cut your losses and let the good people who work for you move
    on.

Don't believe positive reviews.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at WestLake Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They promise a lot during interview process, but hardly anything g they say comes to promotion.

Cons

5 glowing reviews in 5 weeks, after being bashed for years? Doesn't this seem funny? The employer treats emotes badly, and every day is a drama. They record every phone calls, and the owner's admin Acts as his spy. Everything feels like big-brother like.

Be honest with emotes and show genuine concern for their well being.

Would Not Recommend

I worked at WestLake Financial Group

Pros

Some of the people.

Cons

Lack of resources is a big one. Higher ups make promises to clients that they know the company cannot keep and force those working with the client to take the brunt of the frustration from the client. Old technology does not allow for necessary and seemingly standard requests and reports to be processed without large amounts of manual intervention.
    There is also a huge lack of training for the staff. No continuing education/training is available and they were behind the times with keeping up on Healthcare Reform.

Stop the petty finger pointing and invest some money to make a reputable company.

WestLake Financial Group Photos