Westamerica

Updated December 26, 2014
Updated December 26, 2014
2.8

David L. Payne

One of the most horrifying times in my work life. It felt like a cult

I worked at Westamerica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If there is absolutely no other recourse. Otherwise "run Forest run"!!!!!!!!!!

Cons

Ceo and senior management have a problem of telling the truth. They love to manipulate their workforce.

Revisit what the Golden Rule is about and be honest.

Wow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Westamerica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The bank as an institution is very solid, with smart business decisions that make it profitable

Cons

Every office is different ... No overall marketing identity
    Small banks can't compete and they have no idea what they are doing on the ground floor level.
    This bank does not even have email.. They have an elaborate voicemail system that they communicate through.

Love the people here, however, they need to update their technology.

Conservative financial institution that could use some fresh blood to break up the issue with long-term managment

Former Employee - Teller III
    Former Employee - Teller III

I worked at Westamerica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

2 Weeks vacation the first year
    Great on-going training program
    Fairly easy access to mid-level management to bring up issues

Cons

They don't recognize talent/skill when they have it.
    Promotions to deserving employees are often passed over for employees with longevity.
    Very low compensation for a very stressful job.
    You won't be forgiven for a big mistake. You make a judgement call that costs the company more than a couple hundred bucks and you'll be sidelined forever--even if it makes the customer the company's #1 supporter.

Pay attention to what customers actually want.
    Don't force employees to make judgement calls that either lose a customer or lose their job.

Great to their staff but low pay.

Current Employee - BSO
    Current Employee - BSO

I have been working at Westamerica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really love all of my co-workers and all of the back office staff. A wonderful place to work. Def behind technically but the environment more than makes up for the inconvenience.

Cons

My pay is seriously lacking.

I understand the need to cut costs but paying your staff better promotes their want for the company to succeed.

FSO

Current Employee - Financial Sales Officer in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Sales Officer in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Westamerica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is a community bank has some wiggle room for companies they like. My manager although he works only part time is very knowledgeable. He has made himself available to me anytime.

Cons

Very backwards. I am grateful for the job and the oppurtunity to learn. Goals, Vision and process is not aligned.

Sell the company

Multi-faceted career over several years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Westamerica full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance in my experience working in support departments. Yearly merit increases over the years not only grew my income at a reasonable rate, it fostered my loyalty to the company, and rewarded my natural desire to perform above expectation. Recipient of Star Performer award, which included 250 shares of stock.

Cons

Branch employees do not enjoy the same work-life balance as support departments. Not all support departments have good work-life balance. Communication to low level managers is on a "need to Know" basis. This leads to micromanaging, which stifles creative ideas to improve customer service. Our division hasn't received a merit increase in 3 years. I've heard its been 5 years for others. Over the years, the tools in place to reward high performing employees have been reduced or eliminated. For example, Star Performers used to be awarded 250 shares of stock, now receive 50 shares. Morale is very low.

While we appreciate the Company's conservative policies, which kept us safe and sound during the years when other banks went bust, and we understand the other challenges keeping net fee income down, remember your employees are your greatest asset. Invest in them. Find ways to encourage and value your employees, most of whom do want to do a good job.

Financially solid, great people, excellent customer service.

I have been working at Westamerica

Pros

There is an emphasis on high touch customer service with a focus on face-to-face and phone contact rather than email. Some may find it difficult but others find it refreshing. Compensation rewards productivity and encourages employees to hang in for the long term.

Cons

Those who can't live without email won't like it but I haven't gotten one email where someone hit reply to all and said something really stupid or embarassing in their message.

There is a strong corporate culture and many fantastic managers-keep doing what you're doing.

Working for the bank is best as a temporary job.

Former Employee - Teller II
    Former Employee - Teller II

I worked at Westamerica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Reasonable sales goals
    -Slow stream of customers, can vary from branch to branch however.
    -Tellers do not have to many responsibilities and in general are treated much better (pay, benefits, etc) then any other major bank.
                -If your goal is only to be a teller, temporarily or part-time, this is the perfect job for you

Cons

-Archaic technology
    -Extremely high turnover rate
    -Career advancement opportunities are very difficult, and low paying
    -Customer satisfaction is encouraged at the expense of employee dignity

The most important advice would be to INVEST in new technology (expand/free online banking, improve internal software used to look up customer info, apps) and upgrade the current systems which seem to be from the late 90s.
        I sincerely believe updating vital technology, software and hardware, has the potential to greatly improve employee performance(efficiency, precision, sales, etc.) and greatly expand the banks client base, beyond the retirement community.

Save yourself the embarrassment!

I worked at Westamerica full-time

Pros

This is a decent (key word) bank to work for if you're looking to break into the industry. I can't think of much else to list as a benefit from working here.

Cons

This is the fun part! Before you continue to read, please be aware that this is NOT a biased review based on my poor experiences working here. I'm not a disgruntled employee trying to seek revenge, I'm simply trying to spread awareness to anyone who's looking into working for Westamerica.

I've worked for Westamerica for quite some time now, and at first I appreciated what it had to offer. But it didn't take long before I realized that this company tends to do everything backwards and has very odd, obsolete policies that it adheres to. These policies NEVER change in favor of the employees, and it doesn't matter if you work hard because it simply goes unnoticed. It seems we get acknowledged for every minor mistake more than anything else.

The company also runs on extremely outdated, faulty hardware and software. This heavily affects the tellers and other branch employees because everything takes incredibly long to do, and for whatever reason we have no future plans on upgrading the systems to help with this. There's a lot of shady things that happen with the computers that may leave a teller out of balance (Not just a few dollars either) and there's no known fix for this. Even though it's completely out of the hands of the teller, they will still get written up for the amount, and possibly set on Final Warning status for something they didn't do.

Each branch is different, some are more "profitable" than others, but all in all we are losing more customers than making new ones. I believe the reason for this is because this bank is so far behind in comparison to other banks of it's size. Who's going to open a new account at a bank that still operates on 1980's equipment, when they can go to a local credit union, or bank with better services and products.

Our facilities are outright disgusting, most are really old buildings that aren't very well maintained, inside or outside. I understand maintenance fees are costly, but this bank seems to cut all the possible corners in order to stay afloat, and it's incredibly frustrating. I can't say I can expect to see this bank around for much longer, with the way it seems to be heading already.

Depending on which branch you work at, you'll be subject to a lot of gossip and at times, favoritism. There always seems to be drama between managers and regional representatives that you'll hear about within the company, and it seems as if regardless of your location, you'll be in the middle of a lot of "he said, she said" behavior. Be prepared to stand up for yourself, if you lack a spine, I would stay away from working at a branch. Period!

Overall this company has some serious issues that it needs to take care of, and while most of them lie within the fact it's incredibly far behind in services, software, products, etc... The main problems are the people that work for Westamerica. I've seen several new employees come and go because they couldn't handle working with certain individuals. There's little to no professionalism within the branches, and I would not recommend this bank to anyone, whether you're a potential employee or customer.

Did I mention working here has little to no room for progression in your "career"?
    If you start as a teller, be prepared to stay at your level for quite some time as you gain more and more responsibilities while your pay grade stays the same.

Take a long hard look at your branches and the people who work within them. Acknowledge your honest, hard working employees.

Also look into upgrading / updating the computers and software that are used by all branch employees, so you can maybe have a respectable business that can offer better service that would actually interest potential clients.

Worst experience ever!!!!!

Former Employee - Teller in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Westamerica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None!!!! Their will never be any!

Cons

The most DISGUSTING place to ever work! They are degrading, unprofessional, rude, & everything is always about favorites! NEVER room to grow unless your one of the favorites and the manager in San Rafael should really consider a non-management job! She does NOT know how to treat her employees & the most unreasonable person ever.

You really need to look at your management in San Rafael! It is the WORST!!!!!!

Westamerica Photos

Inside Westamerica Bank in San Rafael, CA
I at least got to work on one really cool project!
Westamerica Bank sign in San Rafael, Ca