Westat
www.westat.com Rockville, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

Westat Reviews

Updated Mar 28, 2014
Westat – Rockville – “Corporate”

James E. Smith

Pros:
  • "An opportunity to work from home if your home setup qualifies and you are out of state"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Westat has good benefits and I believe that it is a good company to work for overall"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Many supervisors are vindictive by nature"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Mid-level leadership is not really leading staff in the latest tech and research, actually lagging"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great first job but no opportunity for growth

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Westat full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood for entry level, decent benefits and flexible time. Don't get alot of holidays but vacation time isn't bad.

ConsLow pay, no mid level jobs, salary increases only done at review time. I was hired as a Research Assistant and have been working at the company for 5 years. Despite no longer doing entry level work, my title (and pay) is still Research Assistant. They like to add on additional tasks and duties but won't increase your salary to match your tasks. They'll also hire outside people for supervisor or management level positions rather than give opportunities to staff that have been there for years. Frustrating place to work after a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster growth in employees and provide mid level positions, titles and pay.

Challenging, rewarding, sometimes very tough.

NHANES Interviewer (Former Employee)

I worked at Westat full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou travel all across the US on the NHANES study and I believe in that study! The added benefits are the per diem, car, gas and bonuses when you interview someone.

ConsImmediate supervisors are under pressure to make numbers and of course that passes on to the employee. Employees are expected to be available 24/7 and to work overtime hours without being paid for them. Constant life on the road is very stressful and difficult.

Advice to Senior Managementgive support not criticism! Don't make employees work so much unpaid over time! Reealize that you can't get them all and be more understanding! All supervisors should be made to try interviewing as part of their job training!!!

very stable place

Study Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Westat full-time for more than 8 years

Prosbonus program is great, expectations are clear

Consvery hard to change roles once you're on a project

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to figure out what employees want

Good place to work.

Data Collector At Home (Current Employee)

I have been working at Westat part-time for more than a year

Proswonderful experience and interesting studies

Conswould prefer a steady work flow

Advice to Senior Managementno advice at this time

The management system is stuck in the 1980s, but there are definitely perks to working here, too.

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are possibilities for interesting work on notable projects depending on where you are in the company.

ConsIt is nearly impossible to move up in the company and don't even dream of getting a decent salary raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating lower level staff like they are stupid. Understand that the youth have ideas that will be what keep this company going in the future. The younger folks, albeit less experienced, have technical know-how and a sense of world savvy that the older generation just cannot match. Let the young staff learn, and encourage them up the ladder instead of putting them down constantly!

Nice laid back job

I have been working at Westat

ProsFlexible and great learning experience

ConsNo advancement, the project could end anytime

Data collector

Data Colector (Current Employee)
Reading, PA

I have been working at Westat part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours
Good mentor
good paid training
help community to understand more about health related issues
making good income

Conssometimes not get enough hours
late hour working such as midnight or weekend
all on the internet and phone line

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Solid company with decent benefits but below average salaries.

I have been working at Westat

ProsCompany offer pretty good benefits such as health care, 401k, bonuses, and stocks.

ConsA lot of management seem like smart people with no management skills.

Decent hourly pay rate, but employment is strictly temporary and limited.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Westat part-time for less than a year

ProsDecent hourly rate.
Professional and pleasant management and other staff.

ConsEmployment is strictly temporary, lasting for an extremely limited amount of time.
Field employees are not provided with a work vehicle.
Employees who have performed well are not rewarded with long term or full time positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer long term or full time positions to employees who have performed well and want to move up.

Comfortable "Research" for Feds

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Westat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Good, smart, dedicated helpful people, caring leadership
-Nice work environment
-Smart business longterm thinking-- keep staff funded across projects, so when 1 funding source dries up, you don't find yourself suddenly gone. Staff feel secure, treated professionally, and focus well on their work, and doing their best.
-Good place to start out and learn
-Great work/life balance
-A company with a good, solid, reliable reputation to produce quality for large-scale research (e.g., massive longitudinal surveys) projects, surveys, etc.

Cons-Professional advancement is very limited, no matter how smart you are or how hard you work.
-Don't expect state-of-the-art stuff-- IT, creative thinking, or quick-moving anything.
-As with many research places, admin support is skimpy and disconnected from project teams. It can cause needless chaos and poor morale.
-Mid-level leadership is not really leading staff in the latest tech and research, actually lagging

Advice to Senior Management-Encourage and reward professional growth and development, not just advance degrees, but tech-savviness.
-Cut back on $ on the employee events (e.g., holiday party) and give more paid time off.
-Keep up the model of keeping people funded through multiple projects. Invest in your folks and they will continue to stay. But remember there are a lot of new folks out there who would love to stay and share their new ideas, energy, and smarts with you-- make room for them and you'll get rejuvenated overall.

Worked for Westat? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Westat reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Westat CEO James E. Smith. All 129 reviews posted anonymously by Westat employees.