Westat

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014
3.3

James E. Smith

Pros
  • Work-life balance depends upon the particular project (in 9 reviews)

• An opportunity to work from home if your home setup qualifies and you are out of state (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and sometimes not many projects available (in 5 reviews)

• Many supervisors are vindictive by nature (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Project management

Former Employee - Support Staff in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My manager was a great mentor. Ever staffs are willing to support and guide you every step of the way. Very family-orientated culture.

Cons

Low pay, but great benefits.

Consider a higher pay range.

have not received any possibilities for the past 4 years to work.

Former Employee - Field Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Field Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Westat as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved to work for the company and the education projects by working with the schools and teams working in the schools. I loved to work for my old supervisors and field Managers in the past. the training is top in its field for completion of the projects.

Cons

All new personnel, the old supervisors and field managers are gone or forced out, asked to retire, As soon as Chris retired (I did hear she was back helping with training) the company changed everything about itself, not in a good way. The projects used to be run by supervisors and field managers who had the power to hire there workers or supervisors but that is not the case anymore. The lack of being offered contracts to workers who put many years of service in the company is tragic and should be discussed. If so many problems happened that regular employees were not offered work anymore why does the company not take pride in saying hey maybe we are the ones to blame for either lack of training or lack of qualified field workers or Supervisors? I was put under a field worker who came from IT and as soon as the project was completed he left the company. For some reason I have never been offered a contract to work there since that happened. I used to love to work at Westat but have never been given the opportunity since my last project to work there since??? I called the company to find out why and was told I was still listed as active but since, I have been let go for rasons I still feel need to be told to me....

There should be an investigation to why many people have been forced out or asked to retire or have not been asked to be a part of projects when they put many years of there lives into working there??? I believe that when you changed your over qualified degree requirements that went into effect you pushed many good people out onto the streets asking why did this happen to me. You should be ashamed of how the company has gone down hill for the past 4 years or more and look into a morror and you will see the reason why.

Field Investigator

Current Employee - MCBS Field Interviewer in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - MCBS Field Interviewer in Orange, CA

I have been working at Westat part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved the training. It was in New Orleans - 1 wk paid. That was nice. Westat paid for everything. I enjoyed doing the interviews-field work. Its great being a part in national health study. Makes you feel like your doing something positive and contributing to the big "humanity" picture.

Cons

Hours changed frequently to suite the need of the company. Making it very difficult to work out side of the hours they requested. Plus working in the heat sucked-worst part of the job-though sometimes it was unavoidable.

Compensation was a little low. Need some kind of benefit after 6 month of consistent work to hold on to the next research project to prevent the huge cost in turnover and retraining!

Field Interviewing

I have been working at Westat as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

It is interesting, fulfilling work

Cons

There are to many hands in the pot for each project. Instead of having one supervisor to report to, you have 3-4 people to report to on a weekly basis.

Have a more streamline reporting system.

Depends on project, team, geographic location and length of contract

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Westat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can be supportive, offer numerous additional perks and be strongly interested in the employee IF the employee works in Rockville. Mandatory training is provided via LMS and is based on position description. Work is dependent on contract awards, of which employment after the contract ends is based on who you know. It is not uncommon for employees to be employed at Westat for 15-20 years, and be the sole employer for an employee.

Cons

Very cliquey group of people and not always real friendly. Limited career growth as many people are 'lifers' meaning once employed they stay for their entire career if the employee resides in Rockville. Career growth is dependent on who you know, the project you work with and the personal supervisor.

Support all your employees regardless of geographic location.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible and good work life balance

Cons

increase in pay is needed

Reward good workers so that they will stay

Good Work Life Balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The management accommodated flexi times and was understanding of the needs of a mother when kids were sick. Appreciated that. As long as the work was done there was no micro managing.

Cons

Slow Growth, pay could be better.

Reward hard workers soon as this could be a motivational factor for others to improve as well. You cannot please all the staff all the time. If you reward the hard workers then they will not be demoralized.

Long Term Mid Level Employee

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rockville, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Rockville, CT

I have been working at Westat full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours. Sometimes allowed to work remotely. Nice commute for Marylanders.

Cons

Inefficient management. Personnel Supervisors are typically Project Managers/Directors are more focused on project status then improving employee performance.

Consider having employee oriented managers to manage personnel issues. This would allow Project Mnagers/Directors time to manage projects

nice place to work low wage

I have been working at Westat full-time

Pros

nice people to work with
    personal individual office
    good experience
    respected organization

Cons

slow predictable promotion
    low pay with very gradual increase
    secretive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, training is excellent

Cons

promotions are rare, very few holidays

Supervisors should receive training and also be evaluated by their employees, so that they know where they can improve.

Westat Photos