Westat

www.westat.com

Westat Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Westat – Rockville – “Corporate”

James E. Smith

Pros
  • An opportunity to work from home if your home setup qualifies and you are out of state(in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance depends upon the particular project(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Many supervisors are vindictive by nature(in 5 reviews)

• Pay is lower than average for area(in 3 reviews)

Nice palce to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros1) Decent pay (not great)
    2) Interesting work
    3) Perks (on site subsidzed cafeteria, gym, two annual em,ployee meetings with drinks and food)

ConsStarting to get rid of long tiime experienced employees in favor of younger, less experienced and who willw ork for less money

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit laying off your corporate knowledge abse

Great work atmosphere, flexible, interesting projects but lower compensation.

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsVery relaxed work environment, perfect work/life balance, I never felt like I needed a day off from being overworked. Management respects employees and truly promotes their well-being. Many company events for employees.

ConsPay is lower than average for area.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise compensation guidelines, specifically for technical/IT staff.

Interesting Work, low pay/hrs

Field Interviewer (Current Employee) Casa Grande, AZ

ProsAs a field interviewer: working from home, flexible schedule, important research. Pays mileage.

ConsPay, inconsistent hours, work evening and weekends. No benefits. high turn over.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor management

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsFlexible schedules and work from home options. Good benefits. Cafeterias onsite.

ConsManagers that are not trained in management. They often do not know how to lead, provide guidance on tasks, delegate tasks efficiently, problem resolution, or acknowledge good work. Management has a bad habit of harping on the negative and never acknowledging achievements. Westat is very top heavy with higher grades (PhD, directors, and VPs) being paid the bulk of a project budget leaving very little for anyone else. Everyone else is severely underpaid and unappreciated. Raises are few, far between and are very small. Westat lacks real structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need training and not only in software or budget management. They need to learn how to manage people!

My overall experience as been great. I just can't stay long term due to the low pay.

Interviewer (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsI like the flexible hours, nice people and everyone who works for them like it.

ConsThe low hourly pay is the biggest and only negative I have.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like that you reimburse for mileage, but the hourly rate is really low. I can't stay long term at 11.00 per hour.

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood flexibility for salaried employees

Consno growth in the long run

Interesting, challenging, and meaningful part-time work ~ but not for everyone

Field Interviewer (Former Employee) Dalton, GA

ProsYou get to work on large, often nationally important research projects. You'll have personal insight into current studies and national trends that you see in the news. Instead of being stuck in a cubicle, you'll be working at home or traveling, meeting new people. On most projects, you have some choice as to which components you prefer: residential or facility, travel or non-travel. The schedule is flexible ~ on some projects, you can set your own schedule. Work-life balance depends upon the particular project. The company pays for training and travel, which is out of state for most people. The company pays for work-related mileage and expenses, and/or provides supplies. Regional supervisors will provide moral support and goal updates. Some contracts are short term.

ConsOpportunities are sporadic ~ there won't always be a survey project available in your area. There is quite a bit of downtime, not always predictable. Supervisors will push you to meet goals even if the caseload doesn't always make this feasible. You may have to make cold calls in person to meet strangers, and you're not immediately welcomed in these distrustful days. You may have to go into bad neighborhoods, meet with problematic people, or persistently persuade people to take part in something they don't want to do (compares to census, social work, collections). The pay is low to average, especially considering the high level of trust, confidentiality, and general importance related to this job. There is very limited opportunity for advancement for field employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for new ways to find data when respondents refuse to take part, instead of continually pressing a refusal case until the sampled person feels harrassed.

A learning experience

Security Assistant (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsThe people are friendly. The work is interesting. It can keep you busy. It is a interesting place to work.

ConsIf you are working as a temp, it is not that easy to be switched over to an hourly employee. The supervisors may or may not be completely honest with you.

Overworked and underpaid

ProsInteresting field work, never a dull moment.

ConsThe company expects you to jump through hoops for them and they do not compensate enough for the expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more income earning opportunities.

Friendly employees...fun job...pay could be better

ProsThe job is fun. Interesting studies. Only 25 hours a week required.

ConsNo benefits Temporary work. Low pay.

Worked for Westat? Contribute to the Community!