Westat Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

3.2

James E. Smith

Pros
  • An opportunity to work from home if your home setup qualifies and you are out of state (in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance depends upon the particular project (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Many supervisors are vindictive by nature (in 5 reviews)

• No benefits available (that I'm aware of) for Field Interviewers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Highly organized company

Current Employee - Field Interviewer  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Westat part-time for less than a year

Pros

Highly organized and open communication have been great with this company. As a Field Interviewer I have enjoyed the ability to make my own schedule as I meet new people and I have had some great supervisor's.

Cons

Sometimes the hours you are able to work get in the way of family life. You have to call on homes when people are home which is weekends and evenings at and just after dinner time. There have also been times when there were not enough cases to keep me busy but this so far has been fairly infrequent.

Keep your Field Interviewer's busy or they will end up leaving for more steady PT work.

AT HOME DATA COLLECTOR

Former Employee - Data Collector At Home  in  Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Data Collector At Home in Killeen, TX

I worked at Westat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work was very easy just conducted online surveys for various clients. The people were generally nice, occasionally would reach someone that was rude or vented for extended periods of time before hanging up.

Cons

The main challenge that I had with the company was inconsistent periods of work. You might work for three months and then be on a waiting list for three months.

Great place to work

I have been working at Westat full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been at Westat for 7 years and I really enjoy working here. Extremely nice people, great support departments, laid-back atmosphere. They provide all necessary training and encourage professional development.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive at lower grades, that's why a lot of people view the company as a stepping stone to get experience and skills. Pay raises are very gradual and structured and promotions can be very slow since they depend on time in grade and overall time at the company.

Re-think promotions, make them more dynamic and performance-based to retain top talent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice palce to work

I worked at Westat

Pros

1) Decent pay (not great)
    2) Interesting work
    3) Perks (on site subsidzed cafeteria, gym, two annual em,ployee meetings with drinks and food)

Cons

Starting to get rid of long tiime experienced employees in favor of younger, less experienced and who willw ork for less money

Quit laying off your corporate knowledge abse

Great work atmosphere, flexible, interesting projects but lower compensation.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Westat full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, perfect work/life balance, I never felt like I needed a day off from being overworked. Management respects employees and truly promotes their well-being. Many company events for employees.

Cons

Pay is lower than average for area.

Revise compensation guidelines, specifically for technical/IT staff.

Interesting Work, low pay/hrs

Current Employee - Field Interviewer  in  Casa Grande, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Casa Grande, AZ

I have been working at Westat as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

As a field interviewer: working from home, flexible schedule, important research. Pays mileage.

Cons

Pay, inconsistent hours, work evening and weekends. No benefits. high turn over.

Poor management

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Westat full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedules and work from home options. Good benefits. Cafeterias onsite.

Cons

Managers that are not trained in management. They often do not know how to lead, provide guidance on tasks, delegate tasks efficiently, problem resolution, or acknowledge good work. Management has a bad habit of harping on the negative and never acknowledging achievements. Westat is very top heavy with higher grades (PhD, directors, and VPs) being paid the bulk of a project budget leaving very little for anyone else. Everyone else is severely underpaid and unappreciated. Raises are few, far between and are very small. Westat lacks real structure.

Managers need training and not only in software or budget management. They need to learn how to manage people!

My overall experience as been great. I just can't stay long term due to the low pay.

Current Employee - Interviewer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Westat part-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the flexible hours, nice people and everyone who works for them like it.

Cons

The low hourly pay is the biggest and only negative I have.

I like that you reimburse for mileage, but the hourly rate is really low. I can't stay long term at 11.00 per hour.

good

I worked at Westat full-time

Pros

good flexibility for salaried employees

Cons

no growth in the long run

Interesting, challenging, and meaningful part-time work ~ but not for everyone

Former Employee - Field Interviewer  in  Dalton, GA
    Former Employee - Field Interviewer in Dalton, GA

I worked at Westat as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You get to work on large, often nationally important research projects. You'll have personal insight into current studies and national trends that you see in the news. Instead of being stuck in a cubicle, you'll be working at home or traveling, meeting new people. On most projects, you have some choice as to which components you prefer: residential or facility, travel or non-travel. The schedule is flexible ~ on some projects, you can set your own schedule. Work-life balance depends upon the particular project. The company pays for training and travel, which is out of state for most people. The company pays for work-related mileage and expenses, and/or provides supplies. Regional supervisors will provide moral support and goal updates. Some contracts are short term.

Cons

Opportunities are sporadic ~ there won't always be a survey project available in your area. There is quite a bit of downtime, not always predictable. Supervisors will push you to meet goals even if the caseload doesn't always make this feasible. You may have to make cold calls in person to meet strangers, and you're not immediately welcomed in these distrustful days. You may have to go into bad neighborhoods, meet with problematic people, or persistently persuade people to take part in something they don't want to do (compares to census, social work, collections). The pay is low to average, especially considering the high level of trust, confidentiality, and general importance related to this job. There is very limited opportunity for advancement for field employees.

Look for new ways to find data when respondents refuse to take part, instead of continually pressing a refusal case until the sampled person feels harrassed.

Worked for Westat? Contribute to the Community!