Western Asset Management

Updated August 26, 2014
2.8

Western Asset Management CEO James W Hirschman
James W Hirschman

Pros
  • They had great benefits for their employees (I am not sure about anymore) (in 9 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, everyone is out of the office by 5 pm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible pay but worse no career path (in 6 reviews)

• The company offered little career growth; it was a dead end job (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Where's management???

Current Employee - Client Service Executive  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Client Service Executive in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Western Asset Management for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people. Flat organization. Sad to say, but good food and great office

Cons

Management is non existent. Nobody in client service or portfolio management has seen our CEO in the office in years. Random people get promoted for no obvious reasons

Create some monetary goals and incentives. Perhaps a vision? Hope is not a strategy. Separate from Legg ASAP !!! They are a leach that does nothing. Also consider firing under-performers. Many PMs have underperformed for Years and let go only after the assets leave

Good compensation; Excellent benefits; Lackluster opportunities for advancement.

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Western Asset Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very stable company with very good overall pay which includes a generous bonus. It also has excellent benefits which is hard to beat as it is one of the very few companies that pays 100% of the healthcare costs for the employees and family.

I work in IT and the work hours are highly manageable.

Cons

Lack of opportunities for advancement. The organization is flat and the turnover in among the senior managers is extremely low. There are many who has been at WAM for for 5+ years and they have never been promoted.

Focus more on cutting edge technologies that may offer value to the business of the firm.

Fairly Good

I have been working at Western Asset Management

Pros

The work hours are flexible and the work environment is fairly laid back. The people are friendly and there is great food in their cafeteria.

Cons

Employees work long hours. 10 hour days should not be unexpected. However, if you get your work done, it doesn't really matter what time you leave or come in.

Fairly good

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going nowhere in a company going nowhere,,,,,

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Western Asset Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Only thing that keeps me here is the location - Pasadena and salary/bonus.

Cons

No growth, opportunity for career advancement or training. Everyday is such a daily grind.

Invest in your employees! Try promoting from within!

This is in response to the review entitled "I WOULDN'T LET MY DOG WORK HERE!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Western Asset Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No perks, no training, no opportunity to move up or even around, worked A LOT for them, and was let go in such a manner that made me feel like a CRIMINAL. Awful! The only pro was myself: I managed to last there for a few years.

Cons

Please above mentioned review. My words exactly but unfortunately not much space left to list the rest of the CONS I had to face at this place.

Again, Management, make sure to read above titled review" I WOULDN'T LET MY DOG WORK HERE".

I wouldn’t let my dog work here!

I have been working at Western Asset Management full-time

Pros

WAM strives to create leaner, meaner, hungrier animals willing to shred apart anybody with an ounce of human decency left in their souls. Don't be fooled by the smiles around you, Coworkers here are not your friends! You get paid just about enough to tolerate the misery, and not a penny more.

Giant screen TVs in your face all day; there used to be yummy birthday cakes; those National Geographic $20 coffee table books that you get for Christmas and use as firewood; those 0.50 cent, plastic Rosebowl pins you get each year (thanks to a certain person’s board membership on the Rosebowl); the 0.25 cents breast cancer awareness pin!

This is a great place for football jocks. Forget it, if you are a woman, belong to a minority group, or are not a member of WAMs upper class cronies. Stay in the closet if you’re gay! There are exceptions sometimes: if you’re a rude, sarcastic, cut throat, twenty something you might one day get to become a “portfolio manager”. That’s especially true if you get on the “A” list right away, then you might get invited to after hour cocktails where you have a chance to mingle with the big guns.

Bonus Points: Giving a certain person at the top the boot this year, and hopefully putting an end to regular email blasts to the workers boasting about “sitting in the first class cabin seated behind (fill in with famous celebrity or rock star name, followed by a snicker or two about that person's appearance) enjoying my second or third glass of wine”, ever reminding the serfs of their lowly station in life.

Cons

Wall St. has a bad reputation to begin with, but this place is truly a snake pit. Backstabbing, Heartless Sociopaths from Top Down!

Unless you're really good with daggers, there is no upward mobility. None. The big dogs hope you quit or drop dead (far out of sight) so they can pocket more for themselves.

Human Resources managed by treacherous monsters. Any legitimate issue you bring to their attention will be blamed on You! HRs job is to protect the narcissistic portfolio managers and fund officers from their own wrongdoing. The little serfs mean nothing to the demons running this place. You are monitored all day by cameras and electronic time cards on your computer that keep track of every minute you are or are not at your desk.

Management should be ashamed of itself. They will swiftly retaliate against anyone dumb enough to stand up for themselves. Show women some more respect – aside from the 2 or 3 token poster girls out in Pasadena who have been part of the insider’s Club and with Western forever and ever. New York office is in dire need of an overhaul – run by the kind of beasts who should have no business in managing people.

Note: If you've taken the time to read through the other posts, you will notice that by and large there are no favorable comments being made about the New York office. As for Pasadena, I suppose the subsidized cafe lunch is enough to minimize the discontent.

My comments were carefully edited because this website has rules; so, you're not hearing it all. Pretty much every form of unethical behavior goes on here unchecked, in spite of Western's "Core Values".

Great Company

Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Western Asset Management as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

You'll make a lot of money here.

Cons

If you're looking for a home and benefits this is not the place as about more that half of there staff is on contract basis.

Management try to hire more full-time employee's in the long run the turnover rate will be a lot lower

Really good place to work..

I have been working at Western Asset Management full-time

Pros

Very easy and compatible environment to work. Good benefits. Supportive colleagues.

Cons

Very strict on work schedule, no flexibility for working hours. No promotions, pretty much flat hierarchy.

Overworked and under appreciated

I worked at Western Asset Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Bond Market café is fantastic! The food is partially subsidized by WA making it extremely affordable. The gourmet, organic, restaurant quality food at fast food prices can't be beat.

WA offers GREAT benefits:
    When I was there all medical, dental, and vision premiums were paid for 100% for every employee AND their families. There was some talk of reducing this benefit before I left, but I have no idea if that happened.

Cons

Overworked: You will be overworked. WA likes to work their employees to the bone. Rather than realizing that overworking and overwhelming people will only result in mistakes, they essentially allow the mistakes to happen and then hold said mistakes against the employees.

Underpaid: You will be underpaid. Oh, there will be the promise of bonuses of up to 30% of your base pay, but if you ask around you will find that this is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Immobility: There is no room for growth at WA. Upper management is highly compensated and coddled to the point where they never leave. If you want career growth I suggest get a job at WA to build your resume (people in the industry are always impressed when they see WA on my resume) and then leave as soon as you have the skills you need. You will be paid better and have better opportunity for growth elsewhere.

The Good Ole Boys Club: There is a very distinct line drawn between staff and management and if you aren't management you basically don't matter. Period. If you get in the elevator with the CEO be prepared to be ignored.

Show some respect and appreciation to your employees, create opportunities for growth, and allow them the work life balance that you tout but do little to promote.

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Western Asset Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, laid back company culture, lots of opportunities to learn

Cons

understaffed, lots of work, underpaid and often times under-appreciated

Worked for Western Asset Management? Contribute to the Community!