Western Asset Management

Be The First To
Add Photos

Western Asset Management CEO James W Hirschman

James W Hirschman

Pros
  • They had great benefits for their employees (I am not sure about anymore)(in 9 reviews)

• Good work/life balance, everyone is out of the office by 5 pm(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible pay but worse no career path(in 6 reviews)

• The company offered little career growth; it was a dead end job(in 3 reviews)

Really good place to work..

ProsVery easy and compatible environment to work. Good benefits. Supportive colleagues.

ConsVery strict on work schedule, no flexibility for working hours. No promotions, pretty much flat hierarchy.

Great Company

Lead Business Analyst (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsYou'll make a lot of money here.

ConsIf you're looking for a home and benefits this is not the place as about more that half of there staff is on contract basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement try to hire more full-time employee's in the long run the turnover rate will be a lot lower

Overworked and under appreciated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Bond Market café is fantastic! The food is partially subsidized by WA making it extremely affordable. The gourmet, organic, restaurant quality food at fast food prices can't be beat.

WA offers GREAT benefits:
    When I was there all medical, dental, and vision premiums were paid for 100% for every employee AND their families. There was some talk of reducing this benefit before I left, but I have no idea if that happened.

ConsOverworked: You will be overworked. WA likes to work their employees to the bone. Rather than realizing that overworking and overwhelming people will only result in mistakes, they essentially allow the mistakes to happen and then hold said mistakes against the employees.

Underpaid: You will be underpaid. Oh, there will be the promise of bonuses of up to 30% of your base pay, but if you ask around you will find that this is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Immobility: There is no room for growth at WA. Upper management is highly compensated and coddled to the point where they never leave. If you want career growth I suggest get a job at WA to build your resume (people in the industry are always impressed when they see WA on my resume) and then leave as soon as you have the skills you need. You will be paid better and have better opportunity for growth elsewhere.

The Good Ole Boys Club: There is a very distinct line drawn between staff and management and if you aren't management you basically don't matter. Period. If you get in the elevator with the CEO be prepared to be ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some respect and appreciation to your employees, create opportunities for growth, and allow them the work life balance that you tout but do little to promote.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company to work for

Analyst (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsGood benefits, laid back company culture, lots of opportunities to learn

Consunderstaffed, lots of work, underpaid and often times under-appreciated

Super chill and great company

Portfolio Administrator (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

Pros- Work life balance is outstanding
    - Very low stress environment
    - The corporate campus is similar to a 5 star hotel, including the "Bond Market" cafeteria. The Bond market provides organic top notch food for employees at the lowest prices imaginable.

Cons- Pasadena is not the most ideal location

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Business Analyst at western asset

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsPay and life style is good

Conssupporting function is not being appreciated

Great company to work for.

ProsGreat benefits and work environment.

ConsNot much room for advancement.

Run from this place. You will be cornered and belittled when they no longer want you with them.

ProsThe Bond Market and its subsidized food. Salaries and benefits are also good but nothing that you cannot find with a better company out there, in a much superior environment.

ConsManagement belittles subordinates, corner them to make them leave on their own, creating a harassing type of environment. In the past few years many of the benefits have been eliminated or curtailed (even the monthly birthday cake was eliminated), that's how bad things are for them. There's no room for advancement, and your performance is tied to the seniority of those who have been with the company forever. Even if you are more capable, have more knowledge, and more experience, or want to move forward, your salary and bonus will never exceed the salaries and bonuses of those who are already there, and they will not give you the opportunity to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly by respecting the people you manage can you gain their respect back. This company is no longer what it used to be. It has been on a sharp decline since 2008. The work environment has notably deteriorated and managers are around to make their employees' live miserable. Awful place to work for.

Bureaucratic, no room to move up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsGood work/life balance, everyone is out of the office by 5 pm. Looks good on the resume, because the firm is so large. Benefits are very good.

ConsThe big problem at Western is it's not growing enough to give its people opportunities to grow or compensate them at levels that competitors will. What ends up happening is their most talented people end up leaving for better pay and opportunities elsewhere.

The firm is obsessed with bureaucracy which makes sense, because they have so many recent college grads they need to get them all in line some how.

There is a definite good old boy culture in the firm. Though the firm has a strict rule against nepotism, the higher ups find ways around that rule. If you look at each year's intern class it is easily more than 90% children of their friends. These kids get preference for many of the open entry level positions too.

Bonuses are low. Employees don't even bother consider waiting for bonuses when they leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow the firm and share the wealth with the workers.

Good Benefits, Decent Pay, Dead End Position -- Unless you know the right people

Senior Portfolio Administrator (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsBenefits, Relaxing Environment, Flexible Hours

ConsManagement does not understand the potential employees have.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're training your talented employees for other firms.

Worked for Western Asset Management? Contribute to the Community!