Western Athletic Clubs

Matthew Stevens

1. Awesome employees, terrible upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Western Athletic Clubs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved working with all the dedicated hard-working employees. Good facilities. Members there are typically affluent & influential so good opportunity to do some networking.

Cons

Upper management was very disconnected with reality, whether it be the members or their employes. They do not appreciate their employees and tend to treat their long-term loyal employees badly. Upper-management also needs to realize that their product isn't as good as some of their competitors.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees! Don't keep cutting their pay or their hours.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Front Desk in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Western Athletic Clubs

Pros

perks of living a healthy lifestyle, great people, opportunity for growth

Cons

work life-balance, rules change, lack of support

3. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Personal Fitness Trainer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Fitness Trainer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Western Athletic Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They seem to care about the employees as well as the members. Seemed to be good coordination between corporate level and the clubs themselves. I liked the hospitality feel and focus, beyond just a 'gym'

Cons

Absolutely the most confusing paychecks for personal trainers. I never knew how much I was getting paid, so I did a paycheck audit with my fitness manager every 2 weeks. Still never figured it out.

5. Not bad

Former Employee - Personal Fitness Trainer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Fitness Trainer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Western Athletic Clubs part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great facility to work in. Other trainers were generally passionate about what they do and very knowledgeable. Free gym membership comes along with

Cons

Not enough support for current trainers. Instead of helping trainers who maybe haven't had a great month sales/sessions serviced wise get back up to speed by feeding them leads occasionally, they just focused on hiring more trainers. Terrible strategy because they were generally impulsive hires, and ended up quitting a month or so later. Very demoralizing for current team members. Definitely a fair amount of favoritism present.

Advice to Management

Don't waste your time and money hiring more trainers, invest in the ones you have.

6. Good, not great

I worked at Western Athletic Clubs

Pros

Membership and access to all of the facilities

Cons

Snobby members, low pay, high turnover

7. Good pay, but not worth it in the long run.

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Western Athletic Clubs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay for hourly employees who are in service departments.

Cons

Horrible management within the department and executive team is detached from the ground level of their business.

Advice to Management

Communicate, don't dictate to your employees. They can be your best asset as they see the day to day more than you do.

8. It is all about region.

I have been working at Western Athletic Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym membership. Accessibility to sister clubs and resorts was always a plus.

Cons

WAC is far from the core values they express to staff during the on boarding process. Safety of staff and members is poor and should be re-examined by the state and OSHA. The company is split into two major regions; Southern CA and Northern CA (Clubs above Redwood Shores CA). The South is prime for development - allowing staff and young managers to gain experience of the business while maintaining the skills that got them to their current position. Executive management in this region is pure and positive. Low turn around for staff and managers - many managers would stay at one location if they were successful and would continue to lead their clubs to success. The North is a different beast. It is the region that led me an many fellow managers to dislike the environment and true values that WAC was portraying. Staff were undervalued - payed dirt and frequently shipped out to other club locations because WAC feared lawsuits would come their way from firing substandard employees. Club managers would only stay at a club for 1-5 months before being changed out. There was simply no consistency. The other issue that ruined staff's perception of the company and management was simple. The SVPO is responsible for all North Bay locations and the political happenings at each club. If you were not one of his friends then you were instantly placed on the chopping block. That is how the company works.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Listen to your teams. Redesign your executive team. The CEO is great but everyone else is holding WAC back.

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

I worked at Western Athletic Clubs

Pros

Some of the clubs are very nice and there are some good travel perks for employees. Also CEO and upper management are approachable people who do interact with the "regular" staff. Company promotes from within and there are many opportunities to work your way up the ladder quite quickly.

Cons

Working in this industry for many years, I worked for this company. It was the most negative work experience I have ever worked in, out of any job I have ever held. This company is poorly managed with no intent to change. Although some of the senior management can be paid pretty well, almost all employees work at least 6 days per week. Salaried employees are worked long hours, with no overtime pay. For as beautiful as the clubs look and the high price of membership, many of them are actually quite dirty. Many safety aspects are disregarded. I was surprised to learn how many employees didn't even know how to use the AED machines or where they were located. (What if someone has a heart attack, which happens frequently in health clubs?) This company is a total profit machine. They will use and abuse anyone to make more money. Most employees were overworked, underpaid, and unhappy. This company will nearly bend any rule to make a member happy, but sometimes it requires an employee suffering for it, or lifting a safety precaution. They also make outlandish changes to schedules and/or policies at the last minute and expect employees to drop everything and work with their demands. This company does not follow CA labor laws consistently. Club management are not given a spending allowance or company card to purchase supplies, so necessary supplies are purchased out of pocket and employees must wait for reimbursement. Something to also be noted, most of the upper management are all related to each other. I found that to be odd, unprofessional, and frankly just wrong. It gives an unfair advantage and it's really all about who you know, who you are related to, who's butt you are kissing to get ahead. My experience there was that the employees who were "on board" literally lived and breathed this company. There was no time for a personal life. Many work 7 days per week and are threatened if they dared asked to leave early or for a day off. For what this company pays, it's not worth it to not have a life. If you are looking for a positive work/life balance, this is not the company to work for. It was the most toxic and unbalanced work experience I have ever had. It can also be quite snobby. Do yourself a favor and explore other fitness companies before even considering to work for this one. I sure wish I had known more before I worked for this company, otherwise I would never have considered employment with them. If you are looking for a fitness career where you can rapidly advance, are young and eager with time to dedicate your life to your work, this might be a good place to start. If not, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Train on CA labor laws and worker's rights. Create positive work/life balance environment for all staff or you will likely continue to have high turnover

Run away

I have been working at Western Athletic Clubs

Pros

It's a job that pays the bills

Cons

poor management, horrible benefits, toxic work environment

11. Great managers, friendly coworkers

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Western Athletic Clubs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teamwork is important at WAC. The company is seeking to double its size in the next year so there is a lot of opportunity. Very nice facilities, well maintained.

Cons

WAC does not pay for health insurance. I pay $700 out of pocket a month for my husband and I. Lack of communication between upper management and sales department.

Advice to Management

Make more of an effort to promote from within. In addition to offering Sales training, it would be helpful to offer Management training since many managers are ill-equipped to create a team environment and motivate employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed