Western Connecticut State University

Updated February 11, 2015
Updated February 11, 2015
3.2

CEO

Friendly and Knowledgeable IT department.

Former Employee - Network Security Specialist in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Network Security Specialist in Danbury, CT

I worked at Western Connecticut State University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility provided and high level of standard, made this a great place to work. Professional staff made this a job I enjoyed coming to each day.

Cons

More staff would have proven beneficial to the company's clientele. I would have liked to have seen a more positive influence from those who held positions at the head of school.

Office staff was polite, professional and easy to work with. I really enjoyed the flexibility to move within the company. Also, the location was good. Being close to New York City was an added benefit.

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Western Connecticut State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work here only if you have no other options. Most faculty are easy to work with and benefits are good.

Cons

Secretarial staff is the most incompetent that I have ever seen. The ones that I deal with are rarely in their offices. You can rely on them for nothing more than book orders. Even that gets mixed up if you change the edition. Problem is that sometimes you cannot bypass secretaries and it causes delays and creates problems that are easily avoidable in 90% other places of work. I doubt any of the people that I deal with would survive even a week in the private sector. Essentially, if you want to work here, just know that the so called support staff is highly incompetent and provides no support.

Hire competent people to begin with. Follow up with administrators (esp. lower levels) and faculty to see what they have to put up with. Take action.

Resident assistant

Former Contractor - Resident Assistant
    Former Contractor - Resident Assistant

I worked at Western Connecticut State University as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

great place to work. you get to know a lot of administraters

Cons

love working in the housing department

Adjunct Professor

Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at Western Connecticut State University as a contractor

Pros

Flexibility, great people, great facilities.

Cons

Adjunct Position = no security or benefits,

It is okay if you are just looking for a job. If you want a progressive career, you may wish to look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Administrative Faculty Rank V in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Administrative Faculty Rank V in Danbury, CT

I worked at Western Connecticut State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Higher ed is a great industry. A campus setting teeming with faculty and students is a rewarding place to work. State benefits (health, etc.) are really good.

Cons

WCSU underpays its staff as compared to other Connecticut public higher colleges and universities. Administrative faculty are in a union which flattens pay increases despite performance.

Leadership tends to be weak.

The emphasis on hiring and strengthening teaching faculty is warranted, but the administrative faculty needs some help, too.