Western Dental Services

Updated January 22, 2015
2.4

Western Dental Services Chief Executive Officer Simon Castellanos
Simon Castellanos

Pros
  • Excellent company to gain experience, and knowledge about Dentistry (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, decent benefits, although dental could be better, friendly co workers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The corporate office is not interested in having happy employees (in 4 reviews)

• No one truly knows what they are doing (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned alot of skills and met some great friends, but it is a very difficult place to work for!

Former Employee - Receptionist/Biller in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Biller in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Western Dental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can get your foot in the door and begin to gain experience in the dental field.

Cons

They throw you to the wolves! No proper training, very fast paced, overbooked, very stressed out employees and doctors as well as patients. Very low pay, short staffed, and some office managers and employees are horrible and cruel! Lots of favoritism. No work life balance.

Please train or retrain employees properly and pay them what they are worth. Also train or retrain office managers to be Leaders and not Commanders and abuse their power of management. Stop overbooking to relieve stress for all parties.

General Review

I have been working at Western Dental Services

Pros

leadership, mentors, technology, customer service

Cons

work-life balance, promotions, compensation, office culture, no recognition

dentist

I have been working at Western Dental Services

Pros

good facilities, benefits, salary, location, atmosphere

Cons

preasure, room for growth, relations,

room for growth

Joke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I worked at Western Dental Services

Pros

None. This is a horrible business.

Cons

This company is a joke. I am embarrassed to put them on my resume.

Take your head out of your bottom.

A company with great potential.......

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Checks do not bounce. Vacation and sick leave is pretty cool.

Cons

American greed at its best. A company more concerned with education than experience. Corporate focus is on money not patient care. Company that talks a big talk, but does not walk a big walk. The lack of experience has created a bad patient and employee experience even though the cheerleaders promote ultimate employee and patient experience. Recruiters do not recognize experience of existing employees who come with top notch experience.

Recognize employees as an envestment, train that envestment to better serve the patient and each other. Build better attitudes so employees reflect positive with patients. Example starts at the top. The CEO is a reflection of what's not happening. Practice Total Quality Management (TQM) at its fullest not half way as you do in all areas. Recognize existing employees who possess experience and promote to key positions in order to restructure this company. In the end this Company will grow and the Shareholder will benefit greatly. Stop tripping over $20 dollar bills to pick up a quarter. It's a pay now or pay later society, that will cost less to pay now and cost more to pay later. We only have enough money to do it right the first time and repeat this process over and over than we have to do it a second time.

So it coming but so disappointing

Current Employee - Receptionist in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Western Dental Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I like that their closed on Sunday, I got meet some nice people from work. Great way to get my feet wet

Cons

OMG where I can start I was so excited to start this job, I'm currently studying for my RDA so this was "perfect". I'm a receptionist and I got to say it's the most stressful job ever!!! ( I was a server for 4yrs and I thought I knew stress til I came here) first of all I didn't even get proper training red a couple of slides and the manager pretty through me in, sink or die. EVERY DAY THEIR ARE OVER BOOKED! it's ridiculous! We see more than 30 pts a day so it gets beyond crazy to the point I have the manager breathing down my neck pressuring to post charts and help the rest of the world at the same time. Most disorganized placed, someone needs to come up with a better system. Manager is no help, wants us to have confirmation calls done by 12pm but there only 2 receptionist, tell me how does that work when you have general and ortho the same day. Ugh I jst started working here I don't know how much longer I can take. I think I got more training at the restaurant I was working before than here. I ssuggest go for a different company or at least a private practice, I definitely DONT RECOMMENDED THIS PLACE.

Need to update computer system they are super slow, everything is more complicated than it needs to be. COME UP WITH PROPER TRAINING that way I don't have managers getting mad that things aren't getting done right. Not my fault if I wasn't trained right

Great Place to work at

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time

Pros

Great company values they truly care for the patients as well as for the employees, they also have discount in popular theme parks and one of the most important things is that they are very strict in osha compliance which i love

Cons

everything is great no cons at the moment everything is well organized

Embarassed to say I work at WD!

Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

40 hour week. Big company.. So you have rights! Gain a lot of knowledge (patient care coordinator) good place to start at.

Cons

Because WD Accepts all insurances, expect to deal with all kinds of people. You will be exhausted. Company is too big to care about patients or staff. Roaches. knats. Grimey equipment. Ridiculous software. Obsurd expectations. Drs are jumping from one operatory to the next leaving unanswered questions. Gossip in every office I've been at. Extremely unprofessional. There IS training on how to address patients in a kind manner but it's never enforced.
    Ultimately, it's more about the money than the service.

Promote people within the company who have been there for YEARS and have an actual understanding of how the company functions. Update equipment and software. Get rid of open bay operatories. Do not train employees through computer modules. Get rid of everyone's disgusting attitude by compensating them well and not over booking.

Terrible

Current Employee - Receptionist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Favoritisim favoritisim favoritisim favoritisim favoritisim

Cons

Hiring people without expierence, no training department. Expected to do evrtything.

Stop pressuring employees while being compensated chump change.

Regret, Pure Regret

Current Employee - Business Manager
    Current Employee - Business Manager

I have been working at Western Dental Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Sundays Off
    - BM Training program in SoCal was fun to do
    - Met some great people

Cons

- No Organization
    - No one truly knows what they are doing!
    - STRESSFUL! Overbooked every single day. Wait times for patients are never less than an hour.
    - Dealing with DentiCal patients (fighting, calling the cops etc.)
    - Angry patients that corporate hasn't issued refund for.
    - Unbelievable sales goals and a bonus structure that is near impossible to achieve.
    - Doctors never take breaks or lunches due to the pressure to produce.

I have never been this unhappy in my life. Fellow managers have shared with me that they are now taking antidepressants to get through their days. I spend most days crying in the car on the way home.

Close your doors. This company is done. Your employees are worked like slaves and are on the verge of a major lawsuit against the company. Look at Yelp! Look at Glassdoor. It's clear.

Western Dental Services Photos