Western Digital

Western Digital Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Western Digital President & CEO Stephen D. Milligan

Stephen D. Milligan

Pros:
  • "The company is situated in a safe place with a calm working environment"
    in 17 reviews
  • "The people are friendly and nice to work with"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "there's no window in working environment"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Can sometime demand very long hours when working towards a deadline"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The experience was enlightening and gave me freedom in my work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Digital

ProsThe company is situated in a safe place with a calm working environment. There isn't a lack of pressure but not too much pressure as well.

ConsWestern Digital has some issues with coordination between big groups of teams working on different aspects of a product. Takes longer to finalize a product than it should.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore fun activites

Nice people and workload is fair. Also you can learn something.

Software Development (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Western Digital as an intern for more than a year

ProsNice people and workload is fair. Also you can learn something.

Consthere's no window in working environment

Best work

QA Technician III (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsBest manager, co workers, nicest salary ever!

ConsWeekend work, no holidays, doesnt provide good benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hiring

Good company to work for

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Digital full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay and bonuses and benefits

ConsOften required working long hours

Great technology, horrible ethics

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Digital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best of technology is here- in mechanical, semiconductor, firmware and magnetics engineering.

ConsIrvine. What a God forsaken place. Overpriced housing and over achieving schools. Insane traffic. Capitalist culture to the extreme.
The ethical and moral choices made at all levels of management are reprehensible. Lying to customers, employees and suppliers is expected of you. Hiding mismanaged funds and bad decisions from all around you is also expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you go out of your way to hire industry experts, you should actually listen to them.

Dump that horrible mix of authentication technologies that you have internally. No company should ever require more than 1 password and user ID.

Stop with the notion that Irvine is the center of the universe - there are many other places in the world where specific technologies exist in abundance.

Old fashioned, Tendency to be siloed

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsBonuses, working hours, Stocks, activities

Consculture, promotions-lack of, silo tendency of groups, clashing goals

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not too bad

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Western Digital full-time for more than a year

ProsRun in a favorable bossiness environment, storage is very desirable in these days. less competitor.

Conslow salary, no improvement for personal career, salary raise is slow

No Sense of Pride

Staff Engineer - Firmware (Current Employee)

I have been working at Western Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-A good place to start off and get experience

Cons-Low pay compared to everywhere else
-The company is stuck in its old ways, not very good at looking ahead
-Not very good at R&D: they buy companies to get ahead rather than investing in the current employees and experience
--Not very good at creating schedules and deadlines: too much work for too few people (sometimes, too many people are involved that it's impossible to coordinate) for too little time
--Not very good at staying the course: waver from one idea to the next which hurts schedules and wastes time and talent
-Very top-heavy management
-The company's MAIN and mostly ONLY focus is making the most money. They will sometimes try stupidly, risky endeavours but if the results aren't positive and immediate, they'll completely forget it and try something else, no lessons learned.
-The company makes lots of money and doesn't give any back to its employees.

Advice to Senior Management-Better environment for employees: more perks, more recognition
-Stop being cheap: increase pay, provide perks, better equipment and facilities
-Make the employees proud of working for WD

Saddest place in Orange county

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Good Work/Life Balance.
- ESPP can make you a great amount of money if you are here the last 2 years or more, but not anymore.
- Good place for people who doesn't have ambitious, and prefer their personal life over professional achievements
- Sounds good on resume

Cons- Cheap Cheap Cheap Management Style
- Cheap out on parking spot, so even though we have parking lot right in front of the building. We needed to park at the one that's 30 minutes walk away.
- Cheap out on frequently replacing water filter. If you are lucky, then you can find some nice debris in your water. (Actually forgot to pay attention and drank it one time)
- Cheap management mentality, even on work essential such as upgrading Microsoft office, cables, adapters.
- Benefit and office environment of 3rd world country.
- Below Industry Pay, Health benefit, and mandatory shut down that requires you to use your own vacation time twice a year.
- Cafeteria food that taste horrible and priced to rip you off.
- "Employee Discount" on drives that I helped developed but cost more than Amazon's pricing.
- Management decisions has its priority based on what makes our VP happy rather than the good of the product.
- Managements says yes to every bad decision the VP made, because management knows they will get promoted by kissing his ass, and the VP likes to promote them because he enjoy getting his ass kissed.
- Lay off after lay off after lay off.
- Lay off decision base of which group CEO likes more rather than which group makes better stuff for the future of the company.
- Project cancel and cancel due to incompetent managements even though the Engineers busted their balls and made the product surpass the competitors.
- Written daily status, follow by daily meeting to discuss the daily status, follow by bi-weekly status meeting to discuss the daily status, follow by monthly meeting to discuss the bi-weekly status. Engineer spent 2/3 of their time to create status of the other 1/3 of their time. All because management doesn't know how to manage.
- Point Fingers! Doesn't matter who's right or wrong! If you managed to point it to somewhere else as loud as you can and as fast as you can you win the game!
- Engineer managers bent over backwards to the marketing team for whatever reasons. Even though it should be the other way around.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat's the point? We made so many advice, but you never listen?

Impersonal, very little guidance, high expectation of working too much

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Western Digital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStock options and bi annual bonus, some flexibility in working hours, 15 holidays a year, plus minumum 10 days vacation.

ConsLacking transparency in our group/company - not everyone is included in basic information of what's going on -lack of training. The higher ups make buckets of money and the pay is lower than most other tech companies in the area. Our group is understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency is important. Making people feel part of the group is important. There is little or no "team feeling" at the company.

Worked for Western Digital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Western Digital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Western Digital CEO Stephen D. Milligan. All 230 reviews posted anonymously by Western Digital employees.