Western Digital

Western Digital Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Western Digital President & CEO Stephen D. Milligan

Stephen D. Milligan

Pros
  • The company is situated in a safe place with a calm working environment(in 17 reviews)

• Work-life balance is fine, although some overtime conference call with the international manufacturers may be needed(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • there's no window in working environment(in 17 reviews)

• Middle Management has very little power to promote and actually discourage trying to move up(in 7 reviews)

Good company to work with

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsLong term stable industry, the company has clear vision, can adapt to the change. Positive culture, starting to focus on the employee value. Trainings are good.

ConsFacing competition from new comers in SSD area.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more promotion opportunity to employee.

More like a hardware company than hardware

Prosvaries from location to location. Mountain view,ca location rocks!!!
    high perks! bonuses!

Conspoor mid upper management. trying to solve something which is not a problem in terms to software process and delivery. No improvement for the existing employees.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Software Development Engineer

Software Developer Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI am in the Advance Manufacturing Engineer (AME) department. This is a great department within WD to get involve robots, mechanical, tooling, data analysis, .net software automation, and various vendors and supplier. Every project provides new technology and constant learning and adaptation.
    Great company and lots of potential for growth.

ConsCould always have more employee benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!
    Things are very smooth and organized.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful Company Culture

Marketing (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThe salary is competative and that's about it.

ConsThere is very little training. I never felt like I was on or part of a team. It's a culture of putting people down and being disrespectiful completly different from what the company "Core Values" are. Meetings are extremely long sometimes up to 2 and 1/2 hours without focus.

In our department there was a lot of red tape. It took weeks and months for departments to work together to get something done. There are to many layers of approvals to be nimble and react to business needs.

The one thing that stands out the most was the overall unprofessional upper management (Director level)

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your teams, enablem them and work on a positive company culture. Have HR do breakthough surveys or get feedback. Work on a training programs and incorporiate more training into the culture.

Good job if you know going in you should not expect to move up.

Engineering Change Administrator (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood people and benefits. The building is really nice.

ConsMiddle Management has very little power to promote and actually discourage trying to move up. Raises are very difficult to obtain.

Decent company to work with.

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsStable company. Coworkers are enjoyable to work with.

ConsPersonal growth not very much.

Just started

Brand Strategy Intern (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsLots of interesting projects and opportunity

Consslightly chaotic. Need to be proactive about getting new assignements

Great opportunity.

NPI Performance Analyst/QA Intern (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat company, good colleagues, focused, and driven

ConsVery technical, if you are new to the industry it might take a while to pick things up.

Fortunate to work with the best

Senior Test Analyst Engineer (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood leadership. Managers and senior leads got it together. That is rare these days. Projects run smooth and on time. Company allows engineers to take ownership of projects that take point to push project through with positive results. I enjoyed working there very much. I would return at a drop of the hat if offered.

ConsBeing a contractor, there was no warning of a layoff. It happened fairly quick.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is always a positive thing to do when to think ahead to continue to get the support from engineers that are staffed. Meaning that it is important to keep engineers ahead of the game and allow to change tracks when there is a need. So in other words, don't plan for the next couple of weeks, plan for the next couple of years.

Ok

ProsPeople who work there are generally friendly and nice.

ConsToo many layoffs and project cancellations.

Worked for Western Digital? Contribute to the Community!