Western Governors University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Western Governors University President Robert Mendenhall

Robert Mendenhall

Pros:
  • "Work hours are flexible and being able to work from home is fantastic"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "The pay is low and not a lot of options for moving up"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The yearly bonus is based on student numbers (graduation rates, retention, etc"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not too bad, could be better

Student Mentor - Faculty (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork from home, flexible schedules, see direct impact in some students' lives, organization has a fantastic mission statement

ConsNot paid enough for hours I put in, micromanaging middle management, too much focus on KPI's instead of on the student, loss of focus on the mission statement, goals that lead to company bonuses becoming unreachable because of lack of feedback from upper management to lower ranks, complete and total lack of internal customer service - good luck in applying for a promotion and getting feedback from HR

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us talk to you about goals and what we realistically see happening, quit making pronouncements from on high and expecting us to figure out how to implement them, make the bonuses untethered from KPI goals so we don't feel so unethical about pushing numbers over individual student situations, when we apply for an internal position - help us with that, develop all of us, not just those with the highest KPI's.

Poor pay, no ability to move up, lack of communication between upper management and lower level employees

Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsWork from home
Great colleagues
Okay tuition discount- 75% off

ConsRidiculous university goals- too high and not within reach
Low pay- even the President of the university stated this as such
Lack of communication- between departments, management teams, and lower level employees

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the university is not reaching your goals, don't raise the goals higher and make the stakes higher. Fix the reason why we're not yet reaching the current goals before making more unreachable goals, especially when our only poor bonuses rely on meeting these goals.

Ok.

I have been working at Western Governors University

ProsIt is ok work enough. There is growth and stuff. Work is work and thereis stuff and stuff to do. Each day is quite full.'

ConsNormal challenges with about any type run of the mill corporate job. Work to do and enough of for all and keeps coming.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep on going along and getting stuff done that needs to be done. There is always enough to do and not bad there. Things move on and on.

The work itself is worthwhile, the management is very frustrating.

Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhat we do, it's worthwhile. And co-workers are fun. People are dedicated to their work.

ConsManagement is very frustrating. They only see what they want to see. They play favorites. There are few opportunities for advancement, and when there are, it's often based less on merit or experience and more on favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites. Don't assume you know everything. Admit when you're wrong. And actually make the effort to know what people in your department do, what their experience and strengths are.

Great Company and Good Benefits

I have been working at Western Governors University

ProsBenefits, Overtime Pay, Supervisors are fantastic

ConsOverload of Students. Too many students for a 40 hour work week

Love it, but they punish promotions

Applications Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFlexibility, work from home possibilities, great environment, wonderful people

ConsSalary % cap on promotions, no set salaries for position, no salary structure, you can make more being hired on off the street than you can promoted from internal

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to re-vamp the salary structure so that two people in the same position are making comparable salaries

Watch your back

Student Mentor - Faculty (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking from home is what keeps most employees working for WGU

ConsVery numbers oriented. They are quick to put someone on probation if there numbers drop below a certain level. 1 out of every 3 people who have a tenure of 3 years or more is on probation. Prior to the 3 year mark it is easy to keep your numbers high. But as your good students graduate and your percentage of good students shrinks your numbers get worse even for the best student mentor. If you want a job for 2 to 3 years WGU is the place to go, but longer than that management will make your job more difficult and stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so quick to discipline your employees. Especially if they have done a great job in the past, their numbers do not indicate that they have reduced their effort level, or skill level, or amount they care about their students.

Great Place

ProsMotivated to truly help people achieve their goal of graduation.
Flexible work set-up for employees (work from home)
Stress work-life balance for employees

ConsHigher education is rapidly changing, therefore we have to make some changes. It is not a place of stagnation, but change to keep up with the flow.

Education on a Business Model Fails both Students and Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Governors University

ProsWorking from home was flexible.

ConsUpper management will change the entire structure of the company on a whim.

Great Place to Work

Student Mentor - Faculty (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to work from home, nice bonuses, great team, and friendly people to work with. I like that I get to pick my own hours and majority of my students want to be here.

ConsThe students who abuse financial aid bring your KPI's down and you are still held accountable and sometime this can be frustarting.

Worked for Western Governors University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Western Governors University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Western Governors University CEO Robert Mendenhall. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by Western Governors University employees.