Western Governors University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Western Governors University President Robert Mendenhall

Robert Mendenhall

Pros:
  • "Flexible work set-up for employees (work from home)"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The pay is low and not a lot of options for moving up"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Upper management needs training but does not seem interested in professional and leadership development"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a good place to work

Associate Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great company to work for

Consnot much room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair to everyone and keep your promises

WGU is a supportive environment

Evaluator (Current Employee)
Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible work schedule; pro-student; gives you all that you need to be successful in your job

ConsPay is just so-so. While I greatly appreciate the flexibility WGU offers, my salary is not on par with my experience and other university scales.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salaries

Great place to work

Student Mentor - Faculty (Current Employee)
Remote, OR

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWGU is changing the face of higher education and it's exciting to be part of the growth. Work hours are flexible and being able to work from home is fantastic.

ConsDue to growth, there is a lot of change. You have to be able to cope with constant change and a fast paced environment

Advice to Senior ManagementIf we refer someone for employment, then at least offer an interview. This demonstrates that you value our judgement.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WGU Indiana-a top place to work

Mentor (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company stands behind its' employees, believes that family comes first and is always open to considering new ideas. A lot of companies talk about teams, but this organization truly values everyone's contributions and respects everyone for those attributes.

ConsThe opportunity to move into different positions while staying in Indiana is fairly limited as only enrollment, administrative and mentoring positions are locally available. Other opportunities exist with Western Governors University in Salt Lake City.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Excellent Company. Very innovative and generous.

Adjunct Evaluator (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University part-time for more than a year

ProsExceptional leadership and clear vision.

ConsLow wages for evaluators and other staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing an outstanding job.

WGU is a great place to work

ProsMission driven, student centered, not for profit, flexible schedule, values family, rewards quality work.

ConsSometimes difficult to keep up with rapid change because of our quick growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer an extensive Management training program for new and existing managers. Improve communication about internal opportunities for advancement.

Probably the best company I have worked for.

Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Western Governors University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWGU is a not for profit online accredited university. They treat their employees well. Benefits and vacation time accrue beginning first paycheck. They have a matching 403(b) retirement plan, short and long term disability, 2 floating holidays start on day 1 as well as the traditional holidays. You do work hard to provide the best for the students that you work with but you are treated well for it.

ConsPay scale is lower than it should be if compared to a for-profit school. Days are filled with lots of work. since they are an online school, there are processes and policies that get updated and clarified frequently. As new technology gets integrated into the process you will be expected to adapt quickly. Not for the faint of heart.

On their way to becoming a Great Place to Work.

Student Mentor - Faculty (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

ProsMany employees work from home, schedule is flexible as long as you put in your requisite 40-45 hours.

ConsMetrics are based on student success rates so, while there are many things you can do to have an impact on student success, you don't have complete control over how your numbers ultimately come out.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing on the Mentoring side of things.

Great Place to Work!

Evaluator (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility
Being part of a change in higher education
Working as part of a great team
Independence

ConsThe pay is low for having a Master's, but the job is enjoyable and so flexible and that is important to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the assessment side the management is great. They are very easy to work with, responsive and fair. They trust that you can work and perform independently and give you the freedom to approach your job creatively.

A truly great place to work

Course Mentor (Current Employee)
Kokomo, IN

I have been working at Western Governors University

ProsWGU course mentors (content area experts) work largely in teams, which means that there is a built in support network for employees. The level of exhaustion one may have felt at other universities can be more effectively manged here, because the team approach often means a simple request for help is all it takes! Management at the team level, in my experience, is very responsive to employee needs. While we do work more days and hours than our previous positions, it's also true that when we need some flexibility, all we need to do is communicate that need to our manager. Additionally, the real benefit to working at WGU is the ability to really interact with out students on an individual basis. I have more extended content-related conversations and individualized instructional sessions now, in an online environment, that ever was possible before at either the college or high school where I previously taught "in person." Finally, WGU seems to have a real commitment to professional development. I have been lucky enough to benefit from tuition reimbursement here and I also expect to receive funding for a conference at which I will present this spring. Overall, most complaints I might have are pretty minor. My perception is that those with many issues often have them because their priorities don't align with the universities. You see, if you work at a student-centered university, you have to be student-centered. If you're not, you may struggle.

ConsCoures mentors do work structured schedules, so the extreme flexibility you might imagine by "working online" is not really there, as at other online universities (however, I think this accounts for our higher level of quality). And, as previously noted, managers seem very willing to accomodate our needs (I've never been turned down for a reasonable request).

All mentors do work more days and hours that traditional universities. While our pay is fair and our benefits are great, especially considering the lack of commuter expenses, it's not quite aligned with the extra days we work. I made the same amount working 180 days...and I made MUCH more by working summer school, too, which is similar (but still less than) my current schedule. That said, I also graded tons of papers in my off hours and drove an hour per day, so it's a give and take, I guess!

Umm...my biggest con is this: without a large campus to walk around, weight gain is inevitable! If you decide to come and work here, plan to incorporate some extra exercise into your day :)

Worked for Western Governors University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Western Governors University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Western Governors University CEO Robert Mendenhall. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Western Governors University employees.