Western Governors University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Western Governors University President Robert Mendenhall

Robert Mendenhall

Pros:
  • "WOrk from home allows the cost avvoidance of fuel and business dress"
    in 54 reviews
  • "Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay for people with Masters degrees"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management needs training but does not seem interested in professional and leadership development"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I am a faculty evaluator

Prosgood working place to be at

Consnot any that I know of.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep going like you are.

Great University that cares about its employees and students.

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe pave is very competitive. The adjunct jobs allow you to be very flexible with your hours. Ongoing training for employees is a big key to success. In addition to weekly trainings, each department his its own monthly training for employees. For the past 2 years that I have been employed, we have also seen a nice bonus.

ConsThe recent law changes only allow part time employees to work 29.9 hours a week versus the 32 hours that we were able to work. This is not a direct reflection on WGU, but more of a federal law.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes employees can go a year without any type of pay raise. For some this is no issue, but its more of a morale booster than anything.

Overall a good place to work

Associate Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsA great company to work for

Consnot much room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair to everyone and keep your promises

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WGU is a supportive environment

Evaluator (Current Employee)
    Terre Haute, IN

ProsFlexible work schedule; pro-student; gives you all that you need to be successful in your job

ConsPay is just so-so. While I greatly appreciate the flexibility WGU offers, my salary is not on par with my experience and other university scales.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease salaries

Great place to work

Student Mentor - Faculty (Current Employee)
    Remote, OR

ProsWGU is changing the face of higher education and it's exciting to be part of the growth. Work hours are flexible and being able to work from home is fantastic.

ConsDue to growth, there is a lot of change. You have to be able to cope with constant change and a fast paced environment

Advice to Senior ManagementIf we refer someone for employment, then at least offer an interview. This demonstrates that you value our judgement.

WGU Indiana-a top place to work

Mentor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe company stands behind its' employees, believes that family comes first and is always open to considering new ideas. A lot of companies talk about teams, but this organization truly values everyone's contributions and respects everyone for those attributes.

ConsThe opportunity to move into different positions while staying in Indiana is fairly limited as only enrollment, administrative and mentoring positions are locally available. Other opportunities exist with Western Governors University in Salt Lake City.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Excellent Company. Very innovative and generous.

Adjunct Evaluator (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExceptional leadership and clear vision.

ConsLow wages for evaluators and other staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing an outstanding job.

WGU is a great place to work

ProsMission driven, student centered, not for profit, flexible schedule, values family, rewards quality work.

ConsSometimes difficult to keep up with rapid change because of our quick growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer an extensive Management training program for new and existing managers. Improve communication about internal opportunities for advancement.

Probably the best company I have worked for.

Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsWGU is a not for profit online accredited university. They treat their employees well. Benefits and vacation time accrue beginning first paycheck. They have a matching 403(b) retirement plan, short and long term disability, 2 floating holidays start on day 1 as well as the traditional holidays. You do work hard to provide the best for the students that you work with but you are treated well for it.

ConsPay scale is lower than it should be if compared to a for-profit school. Days are filled with lots of work. since they are an online school, there are processes and policies that get updated and clarified frequently. As new technology gets integrated into the process you will be expected to adapt quickly. Not for the faint of heart.

On their way to becoming a Great Place to Work.

Student Mentor - Faculty (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsMany employees work from home, schedule is flexible as long as you put in your requisite 40-45 hours.

ConsMetrics are based on student success rates so, while there are many things you can do to have an impact on student success, you don't have complete control over how your numbers ultimately come out.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing on the Mentoring side of things.

Worked for Western Governors University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Western Governors University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Western Governors University CEO Robert Mendenhall. All 100 reviews posted anonymously by Western Governors University employees.