Western Governors University

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014

Western Governors University President Robert Mendenhall
Robert Mendenhall

Pros
  • WOrk from home allows the cost avvoidance of fuel and business dress (in 60 reviews)

• Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for people with Masters degrees (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management needs training but does not seem interested in professional and leadership development (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Mostly a good experience

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance was pretty good, judging by any standard. I had a single bad experience with management offset by many good experiences and good managers in the school. Overall there is great management and peers, a sign that the hiring managers were good at selecting employees in the company. I was astounded over and over again as I got to know more of my colleagues and peers at the school.

Cons

Compensation was not too bad but when comparing the hours required at peak times it seemed like minimum wage.

Enrollment

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

can be flexible for family. good vacation and the benefits aren't great but benefits are provided at a cost and you can earn your degree at a minimal cost.

Cons

Once upon a time this was a place where students mattered more than the enrollment numbers. However today, enrollment managers are horrible driven by brown nosing to get a promotion into something else. It's transformed to who you know not what you know. Micromanagement

Relax STOP the micro management

not a good place to work

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only positive at western governors is the possibility of working from home.

Cons

Western Governors offers low pay, limited opportunity to move up in the company, terrible management style. Management makes you feel that you are just lucky to have a job.

treat your employees like human beings

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Only benefit is to work from home but then they try to abuse you with required meetings outside office hours. They prefer you work all the time.

Cons

Bad managers, low ability students, fin aid students only there to get excess refund and take a vacation or buy a new car and then default on the loan. Mentors get in trouble and are blamed if a student withdraws or doesn't finish all the classes. President is a dictator.

Cowards hiding behind lack of union and hr presence. In a real company HR would fire these particular managers for their poor treatment of employees.

Great University to work for

Former Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty
    Former Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved my team mates and they have great training for new employees. I was a student mentor so I was on the phone all day with students. I loved being able to help my students reach their goals. There are two large training meetings a year that are really nice and are good for meeting your team mates and getting to see your co-workers face-to-face. In comparison to other university's that I've worked for they are cutting edge in their methods to help students learn and it really is a great model. They are much better than any for-proit university that I've ever worked for. The fact that they are not-for-profit and cared about the students learning says a lot about them. I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

The metrics that you are evaluated by can be stressful sometimes to an extreme. If you're a student mentor you have to work some evening hours in order to meet students availability. The pay was not as high as I would have liked so I still worked a part-time job to supplement my income.

Find another way to evaluate your mentors. The people that you have love their jobs and are always looking for new ways to help their students.

Great people to work with.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice service-driven people for students. Great product and seeking improvements.

Cons

Uncontrollable Metrics are used and good employees are put on improvement plans and fired when scores remain too low.

have a strong potential to genuinely be a Great Places to Work, but don't truly listen to the problems from the workers at the bottom and seek resolution for a more satisfying workplace.

mentor

I worked at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

working from home
    networking within company
    highly intellectual colleagues

Cons

Very low salary for level of education Student load too high: would have liked to really spend time mentoring during our one-on-one calls; however, there wasn't enough time to do so and still meet the corporation's KPI requirements. Lots of overtime in order to do an exceptional job. A lot of talk about work-life balance but not obvious from an employee's perspective. In my current position, I have an hour commute and have a better work-life balance than when I was overloaded with work while working at home.

management needs to listen to and act on employee suggestions to reduce turnover

counselor

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

work from home
    good benefits
    75% off tuition

Cons

really low pay. they need to increase salary. counselors at other schools are making 10-15k/yr more

increase salary to increase employee engagement

A great place to work

Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Where to even start. There are so many great reasons to work for WGU as a mentor. While some say the salary is low, think about the cost savings of working from home: no new shoes to buy, no suits to buy, no gas for to and from work and no daycare costs. Those benefits far outweigh a larger salary. WGU provides all of the necessary technology and also has an amazing training for new mentors. The mentoring teams are made up of great people who are there as a team - not as an individual. Everyone works together. Another poster suggested that promotions don't come from within. I beg to differ. Promotions do come from within. There are plenty of opportunities to find your fit at WGU and do what you love to do.

Cons

Sure, as others have said the KPIs and metrics are tough, but if you do right by your students the numbers of the KPI will reflect that. Also as others have stated, some managers are not the best but isn't that the case wherever you go. Remember you are working from home so you don't have to see your manager day in and day out. The only con might be working from home (yet its also a pro). Working from home makes it easy to work way more than 50 hours a week.

Keep doing what you love and promoting the mission.

Mentor

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros: Creating relationships with students. Helping students overcome obstacles and succeed. Caring staff and faculty. Benefits. Work from home.

Cons

WGU would be a great place to work, if they dropped the Performance Metrics. Micro-management. AWFUL!! Difficult to create relationships and TRUST with managers due to unrealistic Performance Metrics. What a shame!!! They have such a good model for students. Sure, they need some improvement, but they are ahead of the online learning curve. They would have a better buy in from staff and faculty, if they dropped the current, oppressive Performance Metrics. Very strange to create a call center/sales environment in an Educational Institution. A toxic, fearful culture. The management believes the best "faculty" mentors have experience in sales, not education. Therefore, the performance metrics are the same as Lazy Boy furniture stores! True story! My best friend works for Lazy Boy furniture and she has the same exact metrics. Top management is from IBM...IE...computer sales. So, if you want to sell school, classes and homework to students on a weekly basis this is a good job. No teaching involved.

Drop the AWFUL performance metrics. Seriously, who came up with the bright idea in an Educational Institution. Mark my words, if you drop the metrics, you have a chance at going from Needs Improvement to Good. I recommend reading the book Good to Great and be honest with yourself. Sometimes it is just one small thing that needs to change.....the morale will improve EXPONENTIALLY at WGU. Just try it.