Western Governors University Reviews

Reset
3.4
Western Governors University President Robert Mendenhall
Robert Mendenhall

Pros
  • Some people get to work from home eventually (in 60 reviews)

• Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for people with Masters degrees (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management will change the entire structure of the company on a whim (in 10 reviews)

Enrollment Counselor call center job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good paying call center, but below what the industry pays at other local for profit schools.

Cons

It is a call center. If you think you are working in an academic environment as an Enrollment Counselor,you are confused. There is a great deal of micromanagement (prepare to have your day audited and scrutinized) with management trying to squeeze out productivity. You will hear different levels of management say is they want to be a great place to work; you will hear others state they don't care.

Enrollment Counselor

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Western Governors University is a steady low stress work environment. I worked generally 40 hours a week, but occasionally came in early to catch up on emails.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that as a not for profit, there is limited compensation

Advice to Management

I would have stayed if I were paid better

An organization filled with promise... and disappointment.

I worked at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization's mission is fantastic. The difference the university is able to make in the lives of its students is incredible. At WGU, the C-suite executive team is very approachable. The HR department goes to great lengths to try to keep employees happy and compensation competitive.

Cons

Despite its origins as a start-up organization, the company now has a very close-minded culture. I intentionally used the word "company" there because the university is very corporate. It is run like a business. I found the culture there to be very stifling. Things are only done one way and management is not interested in changing that. Despite an approachable executive team, middle management leaders tend to play favorites, and the standards for one employee are not the same for another. While the company goes to great lengths to accommodate students, employees are treated as expendable.

Advice to Management

If you're truly committed to making WGU a great place to work, there needs to be a paradigm shift internally in upper management. Once the organization realizes that if you treat your employees like your students, they will pay it forward. There is no reason why the company needs to beat people down. A lot of fantastically talented people work there, but will leave if changes aren't made.

5. Database

Former Employee - Database Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Database Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University (More than a year)

Pros

I loved how open minded people were. People were open to suggestions and solutions. It was a wonderful place to work. Learned a lot of skills at this place.

Cons

The hardest part was not everyone on your team was located at the same place. So therefore it wasn't easy to get to know everyone as well as one would like.

Could be better

Current Employee - Student Mentor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home, ability to travel for commencements, flexibility with scheduled.

Cons

Low pay, poorly trained management, micromanagement from poorly trained management, no room for growth or advancement within the company, favoritism, poor review system for mentors, employees not really valued, poor communication among departments, difficult to speak about how you really think or feel - you face retaliation if you do. Not permitted to have a voice unless it follows the crowd.

Advice to Management

Get proper training, respect your mentors as educated professionals, communicate, stop playing favorites, actually do your jobs, i..e train and work wth your mentors so that they are efficient. speak up, and stop being sheep - too much follow the leader. Listen and learn from those who have the experience and education that you lack.

7. Good Employer

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time

Pros

Learned very much about modern business acumen and how this structure can be applied to other businesses and personal projects.

Cons

Not placed in a department closely related to degree background or work experience.

Advice to Management

Open more advancement opportunities. Review education and work experience often for better fit within the organization.

Awful Place to Work

Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Student Mentor - Faculty in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work from home.

Cons

Awful! As a student mentor, you are assigned a huge load of students who they want you to work with; however, due to the large number, you only have 5 or 10 minutes a week with each. The KPI score is the only thing they focus on. This place is a diploma factory. Students are allowed into the programs who can't even write a complete sentence with sentence structure. I have seen better papers written in Middle School. Each month, you are assigned a new load of students who all need after work times to do the initial and weekly calls. So while, the work hours are "flexible", you are working late night hours, but still mandated to make morning meetings. There is just nt enough hours in the day. The work/life balance is terrible, and management does not respect you - they only look at how many students you can push through the program quickly. They are growing way to fast to keep up so management keeps piling more on you, but are not hiring anyone to keep up with growth.

9. Summer research

I have been working at Western Governors University

Pros

Flexible time, nice people, interesting work

Cons

Relatively lower pay compare to others

Great Place to Be!

Current Employee - Student Mentor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

autonomy, great pay for my position (student mentor), working from home, good benefits, management at all levels are honest, direct, and have integrity. the school delivers an outstanding product to students and I'm proud to say I work here.

Cons

not enough opportunities for advancement and not enough in the way of available professional development. this is really the only feedback I have for "cons" about WGU.

Advice to Management

Let's see some additional opportunities for advancement and professional development! I would truly agree that WGU is a great place to work if only I have opportunities to do more and different kinds of work.

11. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated like an adult. Freedom to work from home. 75% Paid Tuition after 6 months.

Cons

Nothing I can think of off hand.

RSS Feed </> Embed