Western Growers

Tom Nassif

Great Company!

Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Western Growers as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Western Growers for almost 6 months and have been impressed with my experience so far. The company culture is great; good work/life balance. Western Growers believes in their products and works to attract great people to the organization. It’s a growing company with many opportunities to be promoted within and recognized for your hard work and achievements. Employees work very hard but it is a fun and exciting environment to be a part of. Management is there for you every step of the way, they're accessible, and want to see employees succeed by providing coaching and helping you with anything you may need. My team is motivated, fun, and always supportive; I’ve learned a lot from them.

Cons

I haven't experienced anything negative at Western Growers.

Great people at the lower levels, but poorly managed by certain upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Western Growers full-time

Pros

- Great health benefits
    - In-office cafeteria and chef
    - Great location that's easy to get to

Cons

- Understaffed in multiple departments which leads to several overworked employees
    - Certain members of management can be demeaning to employees

- Hire more fresh blood
    - Remove members of management who aren't doing a good job of handling their department

Working there made me brain dead with boredom and no chance of advancement.

Former Employee - Clerk in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Irvine, CA

I worked at Western Growers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is that it was close to where I was living at the time

Cons

Salaries are below average and at review time one is lucky to get an increase of a measly quarter.
    Some of the department heads take no interest in the daily activities and would rather hide away in their offices ignoring everything and everyone.

Follow through on promises of advancement . Laying off your employees of 40 yrs and older can hopefully get you in trouble one day. Very smart of you to make the employees being laid off sign a waiver that
    will not involve legal action or they forfeit their paid time off and other accrued finances.

I Enjoy Coming to Work!

I have been working at Western Growers full-time

Pros

The organization is dedicated to helping the farmers who grow fresh fruits and vegetables. Since I believe eating more fresh fruits and vegetables is key to good health, it makes me feel good to be part of an organization that promotes healthy choices.
    There are good opportunities to grow within the organization.
    The company has a diversified portfolio of business lines.

Cons

The company is growing so fast (not a bad thing) that it is running out of space at its Irvine headquarters.

Consider relocating to a larger building to accommodate all of the recent growth of new employees.

Family oriented company with steady employment and good growth potential.

I worked at Western Growers

Pros

Western Growers is a great place to work if you are looking for a steady career. There are many employees that have been there for 15+ years. It's like a Family. Western Growers is also a good company to work for if you are interested in growth potential. They have a variety of new and exciting positions for internal and external job seekers.

Cons

I personally did not have any negative experiences at Western Growers. The employees are great and love their colleagues. I have not experienced such a caring group of people at any point throughout my career.

Create a Management Training Program. There are some employees within the company that have management potential. If someone can uncover that potential and groom these individuals to become solid managers it would strengthen the company exponentially.

Like a family business with a very entrepreneurial approach and a service-focused culture.

I have been working at Western Growers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The diversity of business functions at WG translates to real opportunities for individual growth for those who want to succeed, and management is very supportive of those who individuals. As a trade association, the focus is always on doing what's best for the members. With so many entities and services offered, that mentality creates a unifying effect for the whole workforce.

Cons

Recent rapid growth (which is obviously a very good thing) has resulted in lots of new coworkers, which creates some challenges in keeping our sense of unity.

Keep providing opportunities for advancement for everyone in the organization, and celebrate those who make the effort to do more and advance professionally.

This company takes clients money & does everything possible NOT to pay client's health claim

Former Employee - Claims in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Claims in Irvine, CA

I worked at Western Growers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is accessable from the 405 and 55 freeways.

Cons

Some really sick and injured people have the fight of their lives on their hands getting their claims paid, not getting canceled, not having their credit ruined and premiums not tripled every year. It is really evil to have seen the senior and mid-management try to manipulate the facts on the health insurance policies they sell and worse, try to get the on-line workers to do their dirty work. Senior management does sweetheart deals behind the scene for board members that the average client has not access to and will pay for in higher group rates. Claims and Administration Department have a revolving door of managers and directors - lots of terminations first of each month – not the brightest bunch – little college and poor PC skills. A lot of begging for money from co-workers for showers and selling kids stuff. The main office is dated and quite dirty - mold on water fountains, soda machines and human waste in bathrooms around the toilet and on the wall. 10 years ago - in the middle of a working day, the president went into his office and shot himself in the head - HR would not let anyone go home - it was the saddest day of my working career.

Turn yourself in before the State of CA & AZ and federal department of Labor take over.

Western Growers Response

Feb 6, 2014VP human resources

This organization has undergone major changes in the last 12 years. I can’t say that everything cited by the individual above is true, but I do know that there were some significant problems in ... More

Work for Western Growers if you enjoy staying where you are

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Western Growers

Pros

Benefits and down to earth employees.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth
    Poor compensation

Improve opportunities for advancement, recognition and salary

Would not work here again!

I worked at Western Growers

Pros

Good Health Insurance package, decent location

Cons

Poor management, dis-respectful/rude colleagues, lack of communication

Please hire people who have interpersonal skills and know how to respectfully communicate issues or concerns.

Western Growers Response

Feb 13, 2014vice president human resources

As a member of senior management I have accessed our organization’s need to continually develop the skills and abilities of current and future leaders. I am happy to report Western Growers hired a ... More