Western Illinois University

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Western Illinois University President Jack Thomas

Jack Thomas

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good school if you're willing to work.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsFlexible scheduling, lots of different types of jobs available. Teaching assistants receive a tuition waiver and stipend. Great way to gain teaching and lab experience.

ConsWorkload can exceed expectations and training for first time teaching assistants is limited to a two day seminar. The monthly stipend is small, and housing in the area can be expensive.

University doesn't serve students the way they deserve

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsSmall network, decent benefits package, employees like to have fun outside of the work, train to Chicago, students at the university will really open up to employees who can show they care

ConsStaff nickel and dimes students, all about making money, people in leadership have been so for too long, confusing work/life balance when seeing boss outside of work at all times

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of people who are only focused on money, review employees at the AVP level

Nice Job to Raise a Family

Business Related (Current Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsExcellent medical, vacation, and sick benefits. Great work schedule for faculty, staff, and administrators - 37.5 hours per week for full-time staff is great for family life.

ConsManagement structure is VERY poor. Management doesn't know what the people under them do, which makes it difficult for them to make wise, informed decisions.

Pay is also bad for many positions compared to national averages.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't hurt to post job openings to get an applicant before moving people who you think are doing a good job when you really don't even know what they are doing anyway!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teaching assistant and graduate student.

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsYou get a decent salary for working at WIU. It is a small town, the people are friendly. It is working distance from everyhing and you always use the bus.

ConsIt is a small town, if you are someone who like the city, this will not neccesarely be for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo coment.

Friendly place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsThe people are helpful and friendly to all. Opportunities for advanced education. Good hours. Beautiful campus. Great healthcare, vacation, and retirement benefits.

ConsPay is sub-standard; the pay scales for civil servant positions should be raised to a living wage.

I had a pleasant experience working at WIU.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsIt is a young and ambitious college environment. The people that work there are genuinely nice people.

ConsPay wasn't great but it is a public university.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue using student workers. It is a mutually beneficial relationship.

Mostly good people but poor management

Staff (Current Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsGood benefits including two days vacation per month worked

ConsPoor overall management including senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lack disciple, follow through, openness and transparency

My experience has been totally satisfactory.

IT Engineer (Current Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsLocated I'm a serene environment. A place good for family living.

ConsDon't know any issues that's have been negative

Ok but boring for singles

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsSchool size is ok.
    Evaluation criteria arr well-documented.
    Students are eager to learn.

ConsThe location is a problem: isolated and takes a least 3-4 hours to go a major city.
    No interstate highway connected.
    Cold weather.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitics are widespread.

Wonderful people, but decaying rapidly

Network Administrator (Former Employee) Macomb, IL

ProsThe people here are wonderful. It's a small town and everybody knows everybody else. Most of the lower-level people are extremely hard working and at the same time, accommodating and warm. The university work-life itself is great; you have an opportunity to learn new things every day, and the atmosphere is, on the surface, full of youth and vibrance.

ConsThe State of Illinois is broke. Expect to be paid far less than you are worth, and watch as incompetent managers stumble and fall all while getting endless promotions and back-patting...and then blaming on the underlings that warned them about it all along. Enrollment here is declining, the infrastructure is crumbling due to lack of maintenance, and the administration does nothing but blame the people with the least control over things.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your jobs, and let the people that know how to do so do theirs. Remember that people are your most important assets, and you neglect them at your peril.

Worked for Western Illinois University? Contribute to the Community!