Western Institutional Review Board

Updated Jun 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dudley Slater

Current Employee of Western Institution Review Board (WIRB)

Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) Puyallup, WA

ProsWith the new building comes a new atmosphere. We have open spaces and a positive environment. We see forest animals all the time and there is much more laughter than previous years. They are building us a great new patio as well.

Some have said that they're bribing us with pastries and dress down days. Self entitlement does not make for a positive attitude. HR and upper Management have updated processes and shown exceptional rewards to those who work hard. We have had Bonuses, Tailgate Fridays, Catered Lunches, and WIRB has joined in at the national level with the first ever Take your Son/Daughter to work.

We get to be part of the research community and hear about great life-saving stories. Our work does revolve around a computer so you have to be willing to make an adjustment. Walks and extra caffeine help (as with any office job) WIRB does offer very ergonomic friendly equipment. (No I am not part of HR or Upper Management, I have just worked at other offices that do not take these things to heart like WIRB does)

We have a great health plan which includes vision (employer paid) Our dental costs are very low (under $35 a month for myself), and we have a great Paid Time Off program.

ConsMy commute went from 10 minutes to Olympia to 1 hour to Puyallup.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to say thank you for the leaps and bounds our Company has made since our "previous owners" and I am especially grateful for all the positive moves to help regain our morale. The only thing I would suggest is getting the Espresso Cart back here on a permanent basis. :)

A Scam for Prospective Researchers

ProsThey previously had a good reputation. I believe they are resting on their reputation. if they don't change WIRB 's reputation will suffer.

ConsA someone trying to use their services they are both not helpful and full of unexpected fees. The value of service is lacking in the current corporate culture.

Advice to Senior Managementtake a serious look at your the mission of your company. Are you able to guide and assist all your customers through the confusing and daunting task of IRB approval. Solution to problems is to hire expensive consultants are drive up expenses.

Terrible business practices and employees are bullied

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Puyallup, WA

ProsThe Security Staff in the lobby are nice and can count on a smile from them every day! Wish I could say more, but struggling to come up with another "Pro".

ConsAbsolutely the worst database system ever! Whoever accepted that work product clearly did not/does not have a clue how to manage data. Opportunities to advance are non-existent. Adequate training for position is slim to none along with any opportunity to cross-train. Written work process and procedures are outdated and incomplete to the point that they are virtually useless. Also concerning is that nothing is private. Unable to trust one single person. Shared a benign personal event in passing and next thing I know I'm forced to talk with HR staff about things that are none of their business. I'm so paranoid now that it's probably less stressful to be homeless! I have witnessed other employees being bullied as well. They're pretty slick about it...so subtle that most don't recognize the signs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHighly recommend all of Management shadow a successful company where their employees give them a top rating like Genetech, Google, or DPR Construction (all are on Forbes 2014 Top Ten Companies to Work for list) and take excellent notes. You need to start from scratch and model WIRB after one of the companies mentioned so that things like "Project Deb" will come naturally for staff. And beg you to dispense with all staff meetings in off campus rented facilities for 45 minutes of PowerPoint slides that would have been 99.9% more cost & time efficient if had relayed via WIRB's digital newsletter. Finally, please spend company revenue on something worthwhile and not on frivolous items like green wrist band reminders,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Company with Long Term Sustainability!!!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsIf you have good work ethics and willingness to put in the hard work and want a career, then this is a company for you. This company demands this of you in order to maintain its lead in the industry. The current COO and Director of Operations are gaining big ground on the low moral issues resulting from the recent relocation from Olympia to Puyallup. Those are the two key people in the company that have EARNED the peoples respect. Simply put......If you don't have what it takes and you aren't willing to support the overall growth of the business then you don't belong there in my opinion.

ConsAs a long term employee I struggle with my new commute which resulted from the relocation. The company did offer me compensation for the additional mileage and a retention bonus which really helped. This is my only con.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the COO and Director of Operations.....KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!! You always seem overcome the negatives and have set the bar high for the leadership group.

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Puyallup, WA

ProsThe only pros I can offer are what they claim to do (the protection of human subjects) is a noble pursuit and most of the employees are very nice to work with.

ConsFirst off, beware of the review posted on April 19, 2014. This was almost certainly done by a member of their HR team or a director trying to increase the company's very negative Glassdoor rating.

I was hired as a business operations analyst. A catchy title for sure, but what I really did for eight plus hours a day was little more than data entry. 90% of their workforce, regardless of what thier job title is, spend their days entering documents and information into their archaic database system. The position has nothing to do with business, operations, or analysis. All I did was proof read forms that had been submitted by research sites to ensure they were completed to WIRB's ever evolving standard of what constituted correct, and enter the data into their system. The rules for what was and wasn't acceptable were constantly shifting. I guess that's what they consider "analyzing" them.

Most of the managers seem to have been promoted based solely seniority, not their ability to actually perform in the position. They have, to their credit, begun some rudimentary management courses so that may improve.

The company recently moved locations and lost roughly a third of their workforce in the process. They knew months in advance that this would be the case, but rather than having any sort of viable plan they just required everyone to work massive amounts of mandatory overtime to make up for the loss.

The business operations analyst is a salaried position that pays what amounts to $17 an hour. After being there for only one week all the salaried employees were brought into a conference room and told because we get paid so much more money (their average employee makes somewhere around $12-13 an hour I never found out for sure) we would be expected to work a minimum of nine hours a day until further notice. Most of us received that notice a few months later that we could go back down to eight hours. Then a week or so after that many of us were told we would now have to work a mandatory ten hour day to cover an increased work load.

If you care in the least about your work/ life balance do not work here! The vast majority of their employees not only work 9-10 hours a day in the office, but are also encouraged to take their laptops with them so they can work from home, and they frequently work weekends. This is the culture you will be walking into. When they first announced the mandatory nine hour days a woman said she wouldn't be able to accommodate the new schedule because of daycare requirements. She was hired to work a 40 hour week and that was what she could give them. By the end of the day she was gone. There was a gentleman who started around the same time I did who told them he couldn't work the mandatory ten hour days because he had a rather long commute and had barely made it through the temporary nine hour days. He was let go. These are just two examples of the many I witnessed while I worked there.

That is the last thing I will mention, you will realize pretty early on that you are not really valued by the organization. Over the course of the time that I was there I watched well over a dozen people get let go or quit. For most of them it was because they couldn't work the mandatory unpaid overtime required, they either had a family or a long commute. The organization doesn't care, they can lose anyone and just make those left on the team work more hours to pick up the slack. That seems to be their practice when it comes to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou lost what somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of your workforce because of the move. Most of these people told you when the it was first announced that they wouldn’t be coming with you. So your plan was to begin hiring people about six months prior knowing there would be a six month training process. And these people don’t train themselves, so at least one senior member of each team had to reduce their productivity and train the new people. Your answer for a situation where at any given time almost half of your workforce was going to either be in training or training a new employee was mandatory overtime.

Overtime is a leadership failure, and lazy management. The occasional gift card, free pastry or dress down day is not really a substitute for consistant and effective management.

Very cold culture, old school business rules, boring glorified proof reading organization.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou are provided with the basic benefits and tools you need to get your job done.

ConsThe pay is way below market for the job description, the culture is extremely boring, the dress code is very old fashion. There are a lot of overweight employees due to physical inactivity. The positions require you to be a proof reading drone. Management constantly badgers you about working extra long hours. Not a lot of room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around and see what other corporations in Western Washington provide and make the badly needed changes or you are going to continue to have high turnover. People spend most of their lives at work, it should be an environment that you thrive in, not one you dread being in.

Relevant field of work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Olympia, WA

ProsCompany's role is important in the field of clinical research, what is done there can affect research subjects' lives. It can be a rewarding experience and more than just a job.

ConsSignificant staff turnover, management transitions have been inconsistent and client concerns marginalized.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember this is an ethics committee and be as ethical in approach to the managment of the business as the determinations of the research reviews.

Highly contentious culture + ineffective management = Toxic workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHistorically had generous profit-sharing for employees, though with new management and purchase by a venture capitol firm this may no longer be the case.

Cons* Contentious Culture: Constant in-fighting between and within groups went completely un-checked by management (see more below). Some members of the upper management even were extremely challenging to deal with. On several occasions I witnessed what could only be described as adult temper tantrums several times in the middle of meetings. People storming out of rooms, raised voices, hand gestures, "the works."

* Ineffective Management: The manager of our group was extremely ineffective and selected, I believed, because they had been there the longest. They didn't deal with serious staff errors and inefficiencies, ever, and likewise high performers were not recognized in any meaningful way (promotions, raises, etc.). There were several of the best and brightest in the group that left in the span of a year or two and they were at a loss as to why it was happening.

* Conservative and Overly-Formal: Constant emails re: the dress-code requiring pantyhose, etc. Odd etiquette rules that seemed counter-productive- certain staff weren't allowed to speak in meetings even if they had information to offer.

If you are a single mom or military spouse do not work here!

Business Operations Specialist (Former Employee) Olympia, WA

ProsThey offer free lunch everyday and they also have free medical and vision benefits.

ConsI was fired because I had to leave work to take care of my child while my husband was gone with the military. I had a Dr's note and they did not care. The training I received was awful it sets you up to fail completely. The leadership is never around so when I did have problems or questions I could not get assistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better training and better HR and leadership.

Company culture and professionalism entirely since venture capital ownership takeover. This company is not about ethics

Proslunch provided, located in a nice small town.

ConsThe company had been sold to an investment capital venture group about 6 years ago. The first group of investors made some needed changes but they were really cosmetic. The second sale resulted in a purchase by another east coast group with the sole purpose of profit. This is a company that is supposed to protect human subjecst from unethical business research practices!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has fired numerous qualified staff members. The morale of employees is shockingly bad. Management uses typical low level "employee appreciation" tactics such as "dress down" fridays and ice cream socials. Quite pathetic. The company will probably close its west coast office.

Worked for Western Institutional Review Board? Contribute to the Community!