Western Nebraska Community College

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
CEO

1. Nice place, good people, but I wouldn't be a student here.

Current Employee - Night Coordinator in Alliance, NE
    Current Employee - Night Coordinator in Alliance, NE

I have been working at Western Nebraska Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came into this job six months ago with no experience, and they immediately hired me and gave me twice my expected salary. It's a lot of fun to work here, and everyone is very helpful and kind.

Cons

Everything is filed in paper form. EVERYTHING. That means sometimes things get lost, sometimes they get damaged. If you're a student or employee here your social security number is stored in a file cabinet in the main office while a heavy-lock fire-proof cabinet sits in a back room empty and unused.

Advice to Management

Switch to digital, also your employees and students need more comprehensive tech orientation, especially since most of the classes here are web-based.

2. Tough year but learned much

Former Employee - Digital Communications Specialist in Gering, NE
    Former Employee - Digital Communications Specialist in Gering, NE

I worked at Western Nebraska Community College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Dedicated, hard-working staff and faculty - Solid, community-based mission - Ample parking - For me, an opportunity to learn ground-floor basics I had missed moving forward too quickly in career

Cons

- Unwilling to make changes based on advice of paid, outside experts or staff, particularly those not well-known in the community and going back generations - Little to no opportunity for advancement; people tend to be viewed by their title and role only - Absence of communication leads to a lot of disharmony, in-fighting - Very remote area; many of those who grew up there love it, the few people I met from "the outside" had harder than usual time adjusting - The culture is very hierarchical and closed rather than flat and open.

Advice to Management

Management of individual departments is actually very excellent. There are some very hard-working, dedicated people who manage the various departments. Institutionally, however, and even regionally, there is an unwillingness to make changes that don't involve throwing money around.

RSS Feed </> Embed