Western Oregon University

Good place to work

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University part-time for more than a year

Pros

People are nice. And Office culture is nice. But I don't think will be personal growth.

Cons

No. There is no training, but I think the job is not too hard, just communicate with student and professors. The leadership need to improve.

I think the campus is a little bit small, so sometimes the process is slow.

A quaint campus with engaged students . . . but there are very few resources to go around.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The tenure requirements are heavily weighted toward teaching.
    Some departments allow for a high degree of autonomy re: teaching.
    A concerted effort to publish is likely rewarded with less expectations for institutional service.
    Low research requirements (if you're into that).

Cons

The salary here for an Assistant Professor is perhaps the lowest in the country - it is obscene, really. New Assistant Professor salary at WOU: $42,000.
    Sharing of resources equally is often the go-to rather than merit based pay.
    Low enrollment in many programs in summer mean no guaranteed summer teaching opportunities.
    If you're into publication and research you'll be recognized and quickly tenured in many departments; however, you'll likely be doing it largely alone as many other faculty don't pursue research as a way to advance their careers.
    Relatively few opportunities in many departments for socializing and community building . . . Monmouth is not Portland.
    With the breakup of the OUS system (2014), financial future is in question.

The union and faculty would increase new faculty retention dramatically by raising the salary. Folks often leave quickly as they can make far more money at comparable institutions with the same amount of service/teaching/research. To retain good professors who love teaching but are also active members of their field, you must increase salaries.

Physical Plant Custodial

Current Employee - Physical Plant Custodial  in  Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - Physical Plant Custodial in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Responsible for cleaning restrooms, classrooms, and offices

Cons

This work is not related to my professional, my major is computer science

I can adjust to fast-paced environment and labor shortage situation with ability to do the work of two people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WOU comfortable, good location

Former Employee - Instructor of Mathematics  in  Monmouth, OR
    Former Employee - Instructor of Mathematics in Monmouth, OR

I worked at Western Oregon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice co-workers, wonderful valley with plenty to do in free time--hiking, camping, beach, skiing

Cons

Small school, not much room to develop professionally, grow technically, publish.

can't comment

Student Worker

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Western Oregon University part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really felt like I was part of the team, even though it was temporary. Faculty and admin, alike, are invested in the success of the students.

Cons

Student pay without benefits, but it keeps you motivated to get your degree!

Good University to be at.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Monmouth, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Monmouth, OR

I worked at Western Oregon University part-time for more than a year

Pros

They work around your schedule in whatever way they can.

Cons

Some of the student employees did not seem to care.

Nice People, Low Passion

I have been working at Western Oregon University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are nice to work with. Most co-workers are humble, willing to help. A lot of good workers in many departments. Some professors are very knowledgeable.

Cons

This university needs to add more passion to increase its quality, especially engineering related departments. Too stable can cause laziness.

Unrealized potential

Former Employee - Faculty  in  Monmouth, OR
    Former Employee - Faculty in Monmouth, OR

I worked at Western Oregon University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many faculty and staff have integrity and are committed to helping students who show initiative to succeed.

Cons

Burnout among faculty and staff is common due to working environment in which the reward for good work is to have more work assigned.
    Upper administration unwilling or unable to engage in effective strategic planning.
    Upper administration focused on reducing costs and maintaining the status quo, rather than stimulating and rewarding innovation and making strategic investments for the future.

Establish a strategic plan in cooperation with engaged faculty and staff, and then invest in that plan.
    Offer meaningful rewards to all employees who engage and innovate.

A good place to work, though maybe not the highest pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Monmouth, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monmouth, OR

I have been working at Western Oregon University

Pros

Great campus, nice staff, good benefits, mostly relaxed (yet professional) atmosphere.

Cons

On the low side for pay, not many training opportunities, zero opportunity for advancement.

More training opportunities, more opportunities for advancement.

Treatment of faculty

I have been working at Western Oregon University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, lots of autonomy, interesting projects, supportive colleagues.

Cons

No room for advancement; new hires are often hired in at higher salaries than current faculty; no structure to increase income with attainment of advanced degree. Faculty are forced to leave WOU in order to advance their careers. Aging faculty and no incentives in place to recruit or retain young talent.

Create a structure so that salaries can be increased as level of responsibility and/or education increases. Create incentives for young staff/ faculty to obtain PhDs. Do not hire in new staff/faculty at higher rates than current employees-- the current policy diminishes morale and pushes employees to leave WOU.

Worked for Western Oregon University? Contribute to the Community!