Western Union

Western Union Reviews in Denver, CO

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek

Hikmet Ersek

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance if you allow it and don't let the job take over your life(in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, salaries are competitive(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management changes major initiatives each year and employee confidence diminishes(in 12 reviews)

• Work-life balance is out of balance(in 4 reviews)

69 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very interesting project. Bilingual research on AML alerts.

Global Due Diligence Analyst (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsChance to make a difference by enforcing due diligence to prevent money laundering.

ConsTends to have committee structure with little accountability. People are afraid to come up with new ideas. Very hidebound corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement more modern management techniques to encourage innovation and invest serious money in a new integrated IT structure.

OK

Senior Manager Finance (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsGood benefits, salaries are competitive

ConsVery political, quite a few dishonest / selfish individuals. Culture has turned toxic over the past few years.

Competitive Salary

IT Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCompetitive Salary . Work life balance is difficult due to lack of SME's in house.

ConsManagement team needs to innovate and put their act together on operational cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation is the key and most importantly focus on ROI . Either spend money for future investment in products/technologies or look of ROI in operational cost. Currently senior people mentality is to spend more money & expand their portfolio in operations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chaos

Marketing (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsWorking at a global company and the benefits. The worker bees are really working hard and trying to make a difference, very difficult sometimes with how upper management is constantly changing teams and priorities.

ConsVery hard to move positions within the company. If you get on the right team, it can be a great experience but if you don't it can be very difficult. Corporate goals often are not laid out until March/April and team goals often change during the year. Executive team not willing to take many risks on innovation. Very few women left on the Executive team. Being flexible during change is different than complete chaos.

It's an ok place to work but very scattered

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsCompensation was fair, very low pressure, there are growth opportunites

ConsLack of focus and planning. Corporate vision changes daily. There is no accountability at any level...any!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan your work and work your plan.

Good place to hone your skills, but limited opportunities stifle career growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsA global company with a lot of different facets. Decent pay and benefits (immediate vesting on 401k match). Colleagues are great people to work with; very smart and skilled at their jobs. Opportunity to meet people from all over the world and to learn how to interact with people from vastly different cultures and experiences. Fortune 500 experience is always nice to have on a resume

ConsNot much opportunity for people to advance in their careers, as jobs are steadily being outsourced to third party vendors or shipped overseas. IT is extremely outdated and can cause a lot of extra work. Layoffs are a constant concern, meanwhile "investments" are being made to remodel the interior of the offices around the world. Executives seem to view employees as replaceable cogs in a machine.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a global, multi-national organization, there are very few opportunities to explore new career opportunities. Start an expat program so that employees can meet their business partners and better understand our customers. Provide genuine career progression plans that are achievable.

Very professional and supportive staff

Project Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat working environment and good supportive experiences in Operations while working on projects.

ConsMore communication needed among departments to help support objectives.

Good pay, good work/life balance, Outsourcing and reorgs galored, employees devalued

Senior Applications Developer (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsGood pay, good work/life balance.

ConsCompany has outsourced accounting, support groups, and IT. All that is left is business and sales.
    Very little chance for advancement or employee growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing does not work. It is going to cost you customers and money in the long run.
    The last round of IT layoffs discarded an incredible amount of system knowledge. Programming skills are somewhat portable, but system knowledge is not.

You need to value and invest in your employees more.

Eventful

Director (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsGood salaries at the beginning

ConsHorrible management as they behave like dictators

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and recognize your VPs are unprofessional

Dysfunctional

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsThe building is getting the interior redesigned and was attractive.

ConsI worked as a contractor for 3 months. There was no sense of unity or team in my department. The manager/director never talked to me, my only direction was from a programmer who was inept and strange.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to develop or recognize talent. Be less focused on your own career development and pay attention to your staff

Worked for Western Union? Contribute to the Community!