Western Union

Western Union Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek

Hikmet Ersek

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance if you allow it and don't let the job take over your life(in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, salaries are competitive(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management changes major initiatives each year and employee confidence diminishes(in 12 reviews)

• Work-life balance is out of balance(in 4 reviews)

Alot of great people and talent.

Shared Services (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, compensation was fair.

ConsGood 'ol boy superficial management. Frequent and excessive layoffs and " re-orgs" in the midst of multi million dollar campus "beautification". Directors and Managers in sensitive positions working in cubicals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and less superficial.

great place to work

Fraud Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosgreat atmosphere, good energy , great snacks.

Consbenefits are a bit pricey, hard to get hired.

Advice to Senior Managementneeds more personal growth,

Nice place to work

ProsFlexible hours and friendly work environment. Employees are nice and great to work with.

ConsNot full weeks all of the time. Great atmosphere to be a part of. Not much wrong with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A toxic environment (San Francisco)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Great benefits
    - Very global
    - Brand recognition
    - Some of the coolest people I've worked with

Cons- People don't show up to meetings or don't show up on time hard to get anything done
    - Unethical people in particular in the Engineering team, make it a rotten place to work at (despite the cool people mentioned above)
    - Screwed up in general lots of unhappy people
    - HR doesn't do much about issues brought to their attention
    - Not a friendly place for women I hear

Advice to Senior Management- Cleanup house in Engineering
    - If you need people in engineering hire them don't just contract for long term need.

Outsourcing

Customer Service (Former Employee) Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

ProsIt's a global company that provides good training to their employes , health benefits and overall it provides good practice. It's good as a first job.

ConsWhen you star working for a company that is proud about having outsourced all the work they had in the U.S. and even sort of mocks of the strikes that former employes started; you can imagine what you are getting into

Advice to Senior ManagementSay the real salary from the beginning!

In one sentence, my experience with this company has been a roller coaster.

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits and time-off policies have become the best thing about working here. That has not always been the case.

ConsThe biggest challenge is dealing with off shore contractors. I understand that WU is a global company, but Speedpay is not.
    Taking development, QA and Tech Support off shore makes the job for those of us still here so very much more difficult. The language barriers and complete lack of knowledge and experience put us right back to square one time and time again.
    Speedpay used to be a fun, enjoyable environment where we operated much like a family. We felt like a team, we worked like a team and we got things done. We communicated well, we worked together and we did what we needed to do to succeed.
    Sadly, the job is now full of frustration. Most days, I don't even want to come into work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the Speedpay development, QA and Tech Support back to NY.

Many Unprofessional People, Little Accountability

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot everyone is bad.

ConsBullying, promotions based on personal relationships over relevant experience, uncompetitive pay, lots of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementAtop turning a blind eye and hold people accountable.

Good teammates, bad coach

ProsLots of talented folks with deep industry knowledge. Competitive salary and benefits. Nice location in a great city. Good support of charitable causes.

ConsUpper management churn and constant layoffs have led to a culture of fear forcing employees into self preservation mode. Too often people won't share knowledge for fear of becoming the next person to be severed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe market is telling you your strategy has to change.

Satisfied

ProsWU has a great product and if managed well has the potential to be the market leader for another 160 years.

ConsEventhough technologically the company has a lot of catching up to do the good news is that the things are changing for better

(Speedpay) - The company has its ups and downs.

Production Support Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou'll learn a ton especially if you're willing to put the time and effort into getting the info.
    There's so much to learn.
    You can work from home from time to time.
    Decent work/life balance if you allow it and don't let the job take over your life.
    Good people scattered throughout.
    Company events.

ConsTONS of pointless and useless meetings.
    Everyone wants to find out why the light bulb blew out but no one wants to change it.

WU corporate sees this place as an after thought, the only time they come by is to tell people how good other divisions of WU are doing and other pointless meetings.

New people can struggle a bit, more so than most jobs.

So many bosses.

Barely any room for growth because people who are here stay for years and years.

They've outsourced a large amount of jobs, effectively narrowing down their US staff for Speedpay to a fraction of what it once was a few years back.
    Only a few groups remain intact, the rest is foreign outsource teams.
    While this is something that saves the company money, it is a shame that one of the most iconic American companies has resorted to this.
    They also didn't try to reassign roles for the people who got laid off, very bad form.
    I fear that the rest of Speedpay will soon be outsourced until the NY teams are completely eliminated.
    Such a shame, this was a great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop outsourcing! You have everyone you need right here.
    Give people a fighting chance to stay with the company when cutbacks happen as best as you can.
    Reward everyone properly and not just certain departments, it takes everyone to keep the company going.
    Stop the pointless/useless meetings.
    Listen to your employees, don't just come and change things just because.

Worked for Western Union? Contribute to the Community!